Run a slideshow of charts?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Splint

Run a slideshow of charts?

Postby Splint » 13 Jul 2018

Hi, is it possible to run a slideshow of many charts to eyeball them, possibly into the thousands of charts?

Also, is it possible to open multiple charts at the same time? I've tried using control and shift but no good.

rrams

Re: Run a slideshow of charts?

Postby rrams » 14 Jul 2018

I also wish there was an easy way to run a slideshow of charts (as a livestream), but it's not a built-in feature.

Scanning thousands of stocks quickly for a particular chart pattern is something better suited to other programs like Wealth-Lab because of the way that exchange lists are pre-loaded and maintained and backfill is native. MultiCharts is better at continuously monitoring a smaller set number of futures or forex symbols to look for many different patterns or conditions. -IMO

What you can do with MultiCharts is program an indicator to parse a text file list of symbols and then send a command to change the current chart symbol to the next one you grab from the file list. The PowerLanguage code of this indicator will have a line like this:

Code: Select all

CommandLine(Text(".csy dnum=", BaseDataNumber, ", name=", SC, ", df=Interactive Brokers"));
Where SC equals the string name of the symbol you read from the text file and df needs to be set to your data source.

Splint

Postby Splint » 21 Jul 2018

I decided to use Winautomation to set up a slideshow function in MC. The way I've set it up is that you open an Excel file with the codes for the instruments in column A, it doesn't reference anything other than column A. You can use the up and down arrows to send the codes to MC and if you see a chart you like you can use the right arrow to save it to a separate Excel file. If you accidentally save a code you didn't want to you can delete the last one added by clicking the left arrow. I've set it up to use free charts as a data source.

Once you have reached the end of the column just click the End key and it will run through and clear any duplicate codes and save the file as Filter with the date and time. If you try and follow the code you will notice some very odd key entry sequences, this was nothing more than a work around to deal with some technical difficulties.

I'm not sure about the policy regarding posting files here not directly related to MC but if anyone want's the .waj file for this just let me know.

Cheers
Splint
Geelong
Australia
Multicharts Slideshow.jpg
(660.61 KiB) Downloaded 579 times

Splint

Postby Splint » 04 Aug 2018

After further investigation a slideshow can be done by linking a watchlist (scanner window) to a chart and scrolling through the list of instruments using the arrow keys.

ppc

Postby ppc » 13 Feb 2019

Hi Splint,

Thanks for your info. I would like to know more about this setup. Could you share more or web site talking this? Thanks.

Splint

Postby Splint » 15 Feb 2019

Hi PPC,

As far as the slideshow is concerned the easiest way I think is the scanner window method. If however you are interested in Winautomation, just search for it on youtube to see what it can do. It's a very handy program for people who don't know how to code as it just uses drag and drop and entering information into dialogue boxes to build a program. There are other similar programs to Winautomation but Winautomation is generally regarded as the best of them. https://www.winautomation.com/

Return to “MultiCharts”