Problems with eSignal Data Feed

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
sparkz

Problems with eSignal Data Feed

Postby sparkz » 13 May 2008

I'm using the latest V3 MC on Windows XP SP2. Using eSignals forex data.

I've noticed that since the upgrade, of a few weeks now, that I'm having a couple of problems with the eSignal data feed. I can't be 100% it never happened on the previous versions but certainly not with the frequency I'm having now - which is a couple of times or more a day.

Two problems:

i) Missing bars. Some charts have missing bars. Sometimes straight away after loading but also during a session. It usually amounts to one or two day bars or equivalent at lower time frames. A reload usually sorts it out (not always - see ii).

ii) The other problem with happens after I've found some missing bars. I do a reload and the chart sometimes hangs. It doesn't say backfilling or anything. Nothing in the queue on the status bar. Sometimes it may come back after 5 or 10 minutes but sometimes it will still be hung after many hours (today I left it for 3 and there was no change). Closing the workspace doesn't make any difference but reloading the program does.

With both issues it doesn't seem to make much difference how much data I'm using.

Anyone else experiencing problems like this? Any comments from TSSupport? Is there a requirement for a different version of the eSignal data manager?

Thanks

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 14 May 2008

Hi sparkz,

We would really appreciate it if you could contact us via LiveChat (http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html)

Our customer support representatives would need to get connected to your computer remotely to find out what might be causing the problems.

Thank you for your assistance.

P.S. It would be best if you contacted us b/w 7 am and 1 pm EST.

sparkz

Postby sparkz » 15 May 2008

Hi Marina

Thanks for the reply.

I'll be too busy with my day job today (Friday) but I should have time next Monday...

Regards

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 16 May 2008

Whenever you have the time, sparkz.

I really appreciate it. Thanks.

drwar

Re: Problems with eSignal Data Feed

Postby drwar » 24 May 2008

[quote]
Anyone else experiencing problems like this?
Thanks[/quote]

Absolutely, the data management problem goes up exponentially with the number of symbols your trying to keep. They need to supply us with some built-in data management tools for the database. So symbols can be exported/imported en-mass to separate ascii symbol files. This way regardless of the issue that occurred whether it be a PC , Esignal bad data or MC itself the individual problem and/or whole database could be rebuilt. The built-in import/export could be expanded to do this by working off a symbol checklist of everything in the database..It should be made compatible with Vendors such as Tick data so ascii files can be imported en-mass from them as well to fix a database. Currently, It only allows working with one symbol at a time and thats cost/time prohibitive to manage the whole database.

J~

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 27 May 2008

Hi Jerry,

Such tools have already been planned for future MC versions.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Regards.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 27 May 2008

Hi Marina,

I am noticing I am having much better luck with Chart loading now that I keep Quote Manager up and running and have all my charted symbols connected (as opposed to just opening MC and hope it loads chart data).

Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA
Attachments
WaitingES.jpg
I could watch this for hours!
(5.52 KiB) Downloaded 2769 times
WaitingINDU.jpg
Do I even have an H: drive?
(5.29 KiB) Downloaded 2770 times

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 29 May 2008

Dear Bob,

Could you please give me more details as to what exactly changes if you keep QM running as opposed to what happened before?

Thank you.

sparkz

Postby sparkz » 17 Jul 2008

Marina, when support visited my PC last time, they changed the sessions times on on my eSignal forex excahnge/ecn (FX). It seemed to make some difference (like the value in the bars) but I'm still getting missing bars.

Today I just opened a GBPJPY chart. I may not have opened this symbol for a while. It showed todays bar then the previous one is 21/May/08 - a gap of 8 weeks! After a reload it was corrected.

Another chart I just noticed is missing 2 weeks of data (GBPAUD). Probably since the last time I did a reload.

It seems to happen mostly on daily bars but it's sometimes difficult to notice the missing bars and find myself having to reload the data all the time to be sure.

Am I the only one with eSignal data problems like this. Is it limited to forex? Should I be using a different version of the eSignal Data Manager?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 22 Jul 2008

Today I just opened a GBPJPY chart. I may not have opened this symbol for a while. It showed todays bar then the previous one is 21/May/08 - a gap of 8 weeks! After a reload it was corrected.

Another chart I just noticed is missing 2 weeks of data (GBPAUD). Probably since the last time I did a reload.

It seems to happen mostly on daily bars but it's sometimes difficult to notice the missing bars and find myself having to reload the data all the time to be sure.
Hi sparkz,

When you notice bars missing next time, please send us the following information before doing the reload:

1. Workspaces with the charts affected
2. Symbol settings (sessions)
3. Zipped Logs (Start -> Programs-> MultiCharts -> Logs)
4. Screenshots showing the gaps.

Thank you!

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 29 Jul 2008

Hi sparkz,

When you notice bars missing next time, please send us the following information before doing the reload:

1. Workspaces with the charts affected
2. Symbol settings (sessions)
3. Zipped Logs (Start -> Programs-> MultiCharts -> Logs)
4. Screenshots showing the gaps.

Thank you!
Marina, have you identified this issue yet? I have sent you my logs several times and have demonstrated the problem to support several times and haven't heard anything. I noticed the problem still remains on the beta... although I need to remove the beta since it crashes several times a day.

Esignal daily data has missing bars. You must do a refresh to get all bars. I don't notice this problem with intraday charts.

Please give an update this is a major issue.

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 30 Jul 2008

Marina, have you identified this issue yet? I have sent you my logs several times and have demonstrated the problem to support several times and haven't heard anything. I noticed the problem still remains on the beta... although I need to remove the beta since it crashes several times a day.

Esignal daily data has missing bars. You must do a refresh to get all bars. I don't notice this problem with intraday charts.

Please give an update this is a major issue.
There are also a couple charts that don't update the current day on the daily timeframe even if I refresh?!?

Let me know if you need me to show support these issue again.

Thanks

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 31 Jul 2008

Hi flipflopper,

What name did you use to log into livechat? (I just want to identify your logs and chat transcripts).

Thank you.

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 27 Aug 2008

Hi flipflopper,

What name did you use to log into livechat? (I just want to identify your logs and chat transcripts).

Thank you.
Hi Marina, I got your private message and thank you for the response. I tried to reply to that message but haven't heard back.

Have you and your team identified the missing daily data issue with the esignal feed. This is a problem that occurs EVERY TIME so it shouldn't be hard to identify.

This is a huge critical bug and hopefully should be resolved soon.

Every time I open up a chart in Multicharts I have to question its accuracy. Not very comforting.

Let me know if you need any help demonstrating the issue. I have to manually refresh the data everytime and even then it sometimes doesn't help.

denizen2

Postby denizen2 » 29 Aug 2008

Hi flipflopper,

Thank you.
Hi Marina, I got your private message and thank you for the response. I tried to reply to that message but haven't heard back.

Have you and your team identified the missing daily data issue with the esignal feed. This is a problem that occurs EVERY TIME so it shouldn't be hard to identify.

This is a huge critical bug and hopefully should be resolved soon.

Every time I open up a chart in Multicharts I have to question its accuracy. Not very comforting.

Let me know if you need any help demonstrating the issue. I have to manually refresh the data everytime and even then it sometimes doesn't help.
I agree that "This is a huge critical bug and hopefully it should be resolved soon."

I have tried to get this same kind of 'bug' resolved while using the IQFeed too..... that was two months ago. I have not yet heard that it has been resolved. :cry:

I was told by Sergee (offline, by email, 7/8/2008):"Without much discourse the answer is the following: our engineers say they had found a bug with missing bars from IB and they are going to fix it.
We hope to see it fixed in future versions.
Have a great day, Sergee. "

So, my experience so far is that the MC software has not yet cleared up this kind of 'data missing' issue(s), and from reading between the lines here, the problem is NOT unique to any one data feed, because I have personally experienced it on both eSignal (over a year ago), and more recently with DTN IQFeed (when I switched from eSignal to IQFeed).

I have also, during the last year and half, switched my residence city, the data feed, and my computer platform. Yet over a year later (from the time that I started trying to show tech-support people the reproducible evidence), we are still dealing with this 'critical issue' of 'missing data bars'.

I hope that the next upgrade will have 'fixed' any remaining issues with 'missing data bars'. Maybe TSSupport would like to comment on any 'progress' that is being made on this? Thank you. :?:

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 02 Sep 2008

Marina,

Please let us know the status of this major bug.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 04 Sep 2008

Hi guys,

Basically, there are two different bugs with disappearing data.

1. Last daily bars will be missing if you don't open the program for a couple of days. The data is there in the database but is not shown on the chart.

2. Data will randomly disappear from the database.

The first problem is currently being corrected. Once it's fixed, our engineers will correct the second bug.

Both fixes will be available in the official release.

Regards.

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 04 Sep 2008

Hi guys,

1. Last daily bars will be missing if you don't open the program for a couple of days. The data is there in the database but is not shown on the chart.

The first problem is currently being corrected. Once it's fixed, our engineers will correct the second bug.

Regards.
THANKS YOU!!!!!!!

VERY GOOD NEWS!

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 09 Sep 2008

Hi guys,

Regards.
THANKS YOU!!!!!!!

VERY GOOD NEWS!
Marina!!! Now that wasn't a very nice joke to play on me.

I downloaded the new beta so hopeful and eager... only to find this problem still exists!!?!?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

It really sounded like you guys knew about the issue.

Oh well.... maybe next release.

:?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 17 Sep 2008

Dear flipflopper,

As I mentioned in my previous e-mail, the database problems will be fixed in the official release. Our engineers are working on those at the moment.

Best regards.

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 09 Oct 2008

Dear flipflopper,

As I mentioned in my previous e-mail, the database problems will be fixed in the official release. Our engineers are working on those at the moment.

Best regards.
Hi Marina,

Are these issues still on track for resolution in the next major release?

I tried the newest beta and the problems are still there.

Also I got an e-mail asking me to upgrade to Pro version for $6900!??!

In the e-mail it said that after v 4 is released additional upgrades will be charged for!?!? I thought I had a lifetime license. Please clarify.

Thanks

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 10 Oct 2008

Hi flipflopper,

The problems should be solved in the upcoming official release.
Also I got an e-mail asking me to upgrade to Pro version for $6900!??!

In the e-mail it said that after v 4 is released additional upgrades will be charged for!?!? I thought I had a lifetime license. Please clarify.
Several years ago we promised our customers that we would be working to create a platform that would include a number of specified features. All those features are implemented in MultiCharts Gold that we will be releasing shortly. All the upgrades up to and including MultiCharts Gold have been free. After the release is out, we will start charging for upgrades. You will not be forced to upgrade. Your lifetime license will still be active. But if you decide to upgrade your program, you will be able to do so for a reasonable fee.

This is normal practise in the software industry. Data feeds, brokers keep upgrading their software and we have to keep up with those changes which costs us a lot of money. Apart from that we keep developing more features. Without charging for upgrades, we would not be able to implement any upgrades at all because we simply won't have enough money for that.

This is the same thing as Windows and Vista.

Regards.

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 10 Oct 2008

The problems SHOULD be solved in the upcoming official release.

[/quote]

I hope it more then SHOULD be solved. If you are planning to stop giving free upgrades since you say you will have delivered on all your promises.

I think one important promise should be that multicharts can actually chart something accurately.

Marina Pashkova

Hi flipflopper,

To be more precise, the bug with disappearing daily bars has already bee fixed. The fix is there in the beta 3 version.

Regarding sporadically disappearing data in QuoteManager, our engineers have already taken some measures but it takes more testing to indentify which parts of the problem have been fixed. Since I don't have the exact information as of yet, I said that the issue should be fixed.
I think one important promise should be that multicharts can actually chart something accurately.
So you are claiming that MC can't chart data accurately? What is accurate in your understanding?

Finally, no program will ever be 100% bug free. As the program keeps changing some bugs are fixed, new bugs appear. Fixing them takes resources. If we do not charge for upgrades we'll simply have to money to stay in business. And once again, you don't have to upgrade if you don't want it.

flipflopper

Hi flipflopper,

To be more precise, the bug with disappearing daily bars has already bee fixed. The fix is there in the beta 3 version.
No it hasn't. Not at all.

What I mean by accurate is if I chart a symbol.... daily data bars are missing. Simple as that.

I will contact you to show.

Marina Pashkova

Hi flipflopper,

I'm really glad you called us. Let us know if there are still any problems.

Now, that we have fixed those corrupted timestampes you should have no problems with the daily bars. If you need any help with setting up exchanges, please let me know.

Regards.

flipflopper

Hi flipflopper,

I'm really glad you called us. Let us know if there are still any problems.

Now, that we have fixed those corrupted timestampes you should have no problems with the daily bars. If you need any help with setting up exchanges, please let me know.

Regards.
Thanks for the resolution. All is looking great now!!!

flipflopper

Just noticed something. After I restarted MC I now notice that all historical daily bars are there but no current daily data.

Even when I do a manual load through quote manager.

See attached.
Attachments
missingtoday.jpg
(83.43 KiB) Downloaded 2765 times

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 16 Oct 2008

Hi flipflopper,

From what I understand the probelm above hasn't re-occurrred. As soon as it does, please send us the logs.

Also, as I mentioned in my e-mail in case you feel that your system is working much slower while the problem won't reproduce, you can delete the dll that I sent to you and that is writing detailed logs - to reduce the workload of your system. You would need to delete it and then do 'repair' for the program.

Best regards.

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 20 Oct 2008

Thanks for fixing these issues... they were a major thorn in my side for a long time.

All is working well now!!

Thanks again

flipflopper

Spoke too soon. Today's 10/20 daily bar seemed to work fine until market closed. Then when I flipped through charts it didn't show today's daily bar. In the quote manager it seems to have duplicated Fridays data in the last entry.
Attachments
still.jpg
(161.78 KiB) Downloaded 2742 times

flipflopper

Hi Marina,

This problem is also occurring in stocks as well.

I think this may have to do with the other issue I brought to your attention where the current daily bar won't appear until a trade goes through.
Attachments
stockstoo.jpg
(257.42 KiB) Downloaded 2746 times

eberle lutz

esignal data problem still exists in the new 5 beta!

Postby eberle lutz » 28 Oct 2008

Hi,

I installed the new 5 beta and the esignal data problem mentioned by all the users here in the forum still exists. Daily gaps are not filled by MC respectively quotemanager. I always have to delete all the daily data of the corresponding stock and have to reload the symbol in the chart. This sucks! :oops:

When will this major bug finally be fixed?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 28 Oct 2008

Hi Marina,

This problem is also occurring in stocks as well.

I think this may have to do with the other issue I brought to your attention where the current daily bar won't appear until a trade goes through.
Hi flipflopper,

We would need the extended logs that the module I gave to your earlier. Please send those logs to me following the old instructions I gave to you.

Thank you.

Marina Pashkova

Re: esignal data problem still exists in the new 5 beta!

Postby Marina Pashkova » 28 Oct 2008

Hi,

I installed the new 5 beta and the esignal data problem mentioned by all the users here in the forum still exists. Daily gaps are not filled by MC respectively quotemanager. I always have to delete all the daily data of the corresponding stock and have to reload the symbol in the chart. This sucks! :oops:

When will this major bug finally be fixed?
Dear Eberle,

The thing is that the bugs that the users have been talking about here are actually different bugs having similar manifestations. To understand what exactly is happening on your PC, we would need to log into your PC directly to study the issue there. Or if you have reservations about our engineers connecting to your PC, please provide us as detailed information as possible on what we need to do to reproduce the problem.

The symbol name/names, what kinds of requests you make, what data you have plotted before you close the problem, what you have there in the database before you close the problem, what happens when you restart the program later, what bars exactly are missing on the charts, and if those bars can be found in the database.

Thank you for the information.

Regards.

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 28 Oct 2008

Hi Marina,

I uninstalled the module gave me.

I can tell you how to view this issue though.

1. Use esignal data.
2. Load the realtime scanner with several equities during market hours.
3. Link scanner to a daily chart.
4. Open and switch through equities.
5. Notice the current daily bar is usually missing.

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 05 Nov 2008

I installed the latest beta 5 and there is still the issue with the daily data.

Have you said you were planning to fix this in the gold release. Is that still on track?

Thanks

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 12 Nov 2008

Dear flipflopper,

The reason why we put the module on your PC is to gather the information necessary to find out what is going on and to develop a fix.

If the problem is still there and if you are willing to dedicate some more time to help us gather all the necessary information, please let me know and I will send you the module with the instructions again.

Unfortunaly, at this point we simply don't have enough data to provide a fix.

Thank you.

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 20 Nov 2008

Marina... I have no idea what to say. These are very well known issues that MANY users have complained about.

I even showed you and the dev team the problems and you said you understood and would fix them.

There are two daily bar issues:

1. Missing Current Day's Daily Data in after hours. (Problem is the current Daily bar is not created until a trade goes through which causes problems when loading charts after hours).
2. Missing Historical Daily data. (One solution is to force the daily chart to reload historical data every time it's opened).

I have been using beta 5.2 and the issues are still there. Please confirm that they have not been fixed and they are still an issue.

I spent about 10 hours working with you and your team on this issue... I feel I have done my part as "beta tester" aka Multicharts user.

p.s. many traders have asked me for software recommendations and I cannot recommend Multicharts until the Major data bugs are fixed. On the bright side it looks like you did fix the bug with multiple floating desktops opened at once... baby steps.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 26 Nov 2008

Dear flipflopper,

The thing is that many problems that have similar manifestation often have quite different causes. I highly appreciate all the time that you spent with us showing the problem. The problems that we had enough information on have been fixed. To fix other problems, we need all the help from our customers we can get.

As you remember, the last time we were working on the missing data we told you that it wasn't exactly clear what was going on. That is why we installed that module on your PC - it was gathering the crucial additional information. I also asked you to send that information to us as soon as the problem manifests itself again. So far, I have not received that which means that our engineers have nothing to work with.

I understand that when reading the posts on the forum it might seem that there is a single problem with missing data. However, let me repeat what I said above: seemingly similar problems might have different causes. We never request information to just get rid of the customers. If we ask for something it means that we cannot reproduce the situation on our end.

You are saying that with 5.0 beta 2, there are still problems when receiving the data for the current day before the first trade comes through: multiple tests before the beta was released, showed that this bug had been fixed. However, I have just asked our engineers to run additional tests. In case tests prove negative, we would need your help via remote connection again.

Best regards.

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 01 Dec 2008

Marina,

I have demonstrated this issue to you and you team many many times.

Many users have experienced the same problem.

I have installed the requested dll file and have sent you the logs.

This is a very consistent serious issue that has to do with Multicharts architecture.

I have given you all the info I can.

I am hoping that this will give your engineers enough to Solve the problem... but I am not holding my breath.

Nick

Postby Nick » 03 Dec 2008

2. Missing Historical Daily data. (One solution is to force the daily chart to reload historical data every time it's opened).
That has been a problem since version 3 at least. I thought it was supposed to have been fixed in 4.0? I dunno as I haven't upgraded. Its a huge PIA and of course refreshing with some data sources means you trash historical data as the old front month is over written with the new contract. MC needs a refresh n bar option by the way.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 03 Dec 2008

Marina,

I have demonstrated this issue to you and you team many many times.

Many users have experienced the same problem.

I have installed the requested dll file and have sent you the logs.

This is a very consistent serious issue that has to do with Multicharts architecture.

I have given you all the info I can.

I am hoping that this will give your engineers enough to Solve the problem... but I am not holding my breath.
Hi flipflopper,

Regarding the latest logs on a missing daily bar that you sent us:

According to those logs, you requested daily bars up to and including December 1, but the daily bar for December 1 was never received. According to the same logs, you made a request shortly after the session for the symbol in question was closed. Our engineers believe that eSignal might not have saved that daily bar on its historical servers by the time your request was made; therefore there was nothing yet to be received. To check this hypothesis we need to monitor how soon the data is saved on eSignal's servers after sessions end. If the hypothesis is correct, we will simply change the request mechanism for the current daily bar during after hours.

If you have daily bars missing under different conditions, please send us the logs right away so that we could analyze those situations as well. So far you are the only person who has consistent problems with daily bars under different scenarios.

P.S. What about the daily data not coming through until the first trade has taken place? Have you come across that issue in 5.0 beta 2 again? It's been working fine on our end so far.

P.P.S. It is very important to understand that when different users say they are missing data in most cases they are talking about quite different things. For example, the majority of complaints were coming from Bill Schamp's users who were using databases that were corrupt from the very beginning and could not work properly. Even in your case, every time you contacted us to show the missing bars it was a completely different story. If you remember, the first time it was related to the wrong records in the database, for example. The second issue was related to daily data not coming through until the fist trade is generated. In both cases you said the data was missing but even without a profound analysis it was clear that the two issues were unrelated.

Regards.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 03 Dec 2008

That has been a problem since version 3 at least. I thought it was supposed to have been fixed in 4.0? I dunno as I haven't upgraded. Its a huge PIA and of course refreshing with some data sources means you trash historical data as the old front month is over written with the new contract. MC needs a refresh n bar option by the way.
Nick, could you please describe in more detail the problem that you are describing? What data provider are you using? Are you now talking about merging of different future contracts into a single contract manually by renaming symbols in QuoteManager? If it is a different problem and if it is persistent, please send me a detailed description illustrating what you are saying with screenshots. On reviewning the screenshots we might also need TradingServer logs.

Regards.

Return to “MultiCharts”