Format Instrument Bars Back strange behaviour  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
hughesfleming

Format Instrument Bars Back strange behaviour

Postby hughesfleming » 20 Nov 2018

I have one workspace with about 50 symbols (US SP100 Equities) that use a fixed starting date and this works fine. I tried to setup another workspace but this time with a bars back of 2000 bars. In this case, I am using 65 minute intervals. On AAPL as a test, I am getting only 399 bars loaded onto the chart. If I use a fixed date like 2018-01-01 I get 1349 bars. On another Multicharts installation, I am getting 841 bars. Why does this setting give such unpredictable results?

In my case, I am looking to setup a moving window of approximately 2000 bars which I am exporting to csv files. This does not seem to be possible even though the setting gives the impression that it should.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Alex

Anna MultiCharts

Re: Format Instrument Bars Back strange behaviour

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 14 Dec 2018

Hello, hughesfleming!

Bars Back setting for the data range has a limitation for minute-based resolutions which is 91 days, or 3 months.
This limitation was introduced long ago when the minute data wasn’t available in the amounts that you can get now. This limitation also serves a precaution measure – if the data feed returns No data for N Bars back for the symbol, the requests for more distant historical data are done, and in case there’s completely No data on the data feed end these requests can go on and on back to the beginning of times.

There’s a registry key that determines the limitation for minute data - MaxDaysBackIntraday.
You can find this key in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TS Support\MultiCharts64\Shaper (to open the Registry please click on the Windows Start button and type “regedit” -> Enter). You can modify the value as you need by double-clicking on it and entering the required value. Complete MultiCharts restart will be required to apply the changes.

As for the different number of bars that you receive in different installations – please verify that the session settings are identical in both and try reloading the data (Ctrl+R).

hughesfleming

Re: Format Instrument Bars Back strange behaviour  [SOLVED]

Postby hughesfleming » 14 Dec 2018

Hi Anna,

Thanks so much for the registry editor information. This is a great help.

Kind regards,

Alex

Return to “MultiCharts”