Charts NOT updating in Real Time  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Mark Brown

Charts NOT updating in Real Time

Postby Mark Brown » 17 Dec 2018

MC is not updating ALL charts in real time. It will update some charts but not others.

@ES from TS 4 tick range bars 30 days of data will update some workspaces but others will not.

I have TS running with same chart etc. and have tried everything.

sptrader

Re: Charts NOT updating in Real Time

Postby sptrader » 17 Dec 2018

Since it works on some charts but not others, have you rolled ES into March 2019 ?
Also, try minute bars and see if anything shows up. (might give a clue as to what's wrong).

Mark Brown

Postby Mark Brown » 19 Dec 2018

i am using the continuous symbols provided by ts. the top screen is @es on multicharts 4 points which (is wrong it should be 4 ticks) is 1 point on ts which is correct (which is actually 4 ticks). anyway this data problem of mc makes the program useless for serious real time trading.

i wsh they would just come out and admit the server can only handle a few symbols at a time. i have about 5000 symbols being collected in real time obviously the charting or the server can only handle about 5 symbols i guess.

ImageScreenshot - 12_18_2018 , 12_42_34 PM by Sheepdog Concept, on Flickr

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 19 Dec 2018

Hi Mark, just out of curiosity, what kind of hardware are you running? How much memory etc? How are you trying to collect data on 5000 symbols? How many simultaneous charts etc.

Your screen shot isn't very helpful. If you could capture the whole frame including the time and price scale it would be much more useful. You seem to have unique problems and then assume that is the same of everyone else. That really isn't the case. If it was easier to understand what you are trying to do then it would be easier to help.

kind regards,

Alex

Mark Brown

ts has a setting for range bars where you can define the update frequency. it would help to compare if i knew what the hidden update frequency is that mc is using? it appears to be one minute when compared to the one minute setting for range bar in ts.

do we agree below?

mc says a 4 point range bar of the emini sp is actually 1 full emini sp point.

ts says that 1 point range bar of the emini sp is actually 1 full emini sp point as it should be.

to compare a 1 point emini sp on both platforms you must plot a 4 point es on mc against a 1 point chart on ts?

mark

hughesfleming

Hi Mark,

4 Points in Multicharts = 4 ticks so yes... we agree. In the quote manager, you can edit various aspects of how a symbol displays. It might be possible to set things up to match TS. I don't know if this is possible with range bars.

Alex

Mark Brown

Hi Mark,

4 Points in Multicharts = 4 ticks so yes... we agree. In the quote manager, you can edit various aspects of how a symbol displays. It might be possible to set things up to match TS. I don't know if this is possible with range bars.

Alex

so how is the range bar built currently in mc is it being built by tick by tick data or is being built by minuter data or something else?

mark

hughesfleming

Reading the connection guide for Multicharts with regards to TS, the options are tick, minute and daily data for historical data. This implies that you would have 30 days of tick data available to build non time based bars. This is dependent on your data provider. For example, you can build tick bars from ticks, seconds or five seconds intervals with Interactive Brokers. IQFeed offers 180 days of tick data with which to build the range bars or other non time based bars.

I don't know what options TS offers to build range bars but using tick data should give you a match between the two platforms.

Mark Brown

Postby Mark Brown » 21 Dec 2018

Reading the connection guide for Multicharts with regards to TS, the options are tick, minute and daily data for historical data. This implies that you would have 30 days of tick data available to build non time based bars. This is dependent on your data provider. For example, you can build tick bars from ticks, seconds or five seconds intervals with Interactive Brokers. IQFeed offers 180 days of tick data with which to build the range bars or other non time based bars.

I don't know what options TS offers to build range bars but using tick data should give you a match between the two platforms.
I highly doubt that MC is using tick data to build Range Bars. When I select Range Bars in TS you have many options from 1 tick +, 1 second +, 1 minute + etc.

I have about 5000 symbols in MC data server maybe they should just tell us what the symbol limitation is if they know that.

Right now MC is not updating at all using TS ver. 10 I wonder if MC has updated their software to run on TS ver. 10 data server.

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 21 Dec 2018

Then you should ask Multicharts about how they calculate range bars. The number of symbols in the database is irrelevant. What is important is how many simultaneous data streams are you trying to use at any one time.

What hardware are you using Mark? You still have not mentioned any details.

regards,

Alex

Mark Brown

Postby Mark Brown » 21 Dec 2018

What hardware are you using Mark? You still have not mentioned any details.

regards,

Alex

because this is a software problem not a hardware problem. this is beyond the "is your computer plugged in" tech problem.

this is a can the pseudo server from 20 years ago still keep up today in a fast market. maybe it's time mc bit the bullet and furnished a real server that can keep up with the emini sp.

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 22 Dec 2018

5000 symbols in realtime is a lot of data to handle. IMHO your internet connection should be gigabyte speed, your CPU should be at least 8 cores, and memory at least 32 gigs....with a solid state hard drive.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 23 Dec 2018

5000 symbols in realtime is a lot of data to handle. IMHO your internet connection should be gigabyte speed, your CPU should be at least 8 cores, and memory at least 32 gigs....with a solid state hard drive.
I wonder if the TS data-feed can keep up with 5000 symbols in RT. (or if they have a symbol limit for RT quotes).

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 23 Dec 2018

Mark, I still think you should be more proactive about isolating your problems from a hardware standpoint. You could setup a test on AWS quite easily. As it stands now, complaining about the same thing over and over without changing anything is the same as watching the Titanic over and over and hoping for a different ending.

If you could demonstrate your problem clearly, there would be a lot of people here willing to help you. I have Multicharts and Portfolio Trader running together with just over 100 active data streams. There is no lag. No one here is complaining about not being able to trade the E-mini. Only you. Think about that for a minute.

Set up a test on AWS somewhere in the North East of the US and see if you have the same issues. Colocating made a big difference for my setup. It does not matter if your current internet connection is quite sophisticated if you are running into problems. Eliminate the variables one by one. If you can reproduce your problem then go straight to Multicharts support and demonstrate it.

Mark Brown

Postby Mark Brown » 02 Jan 2019

Mark, I still think you should be more proactive about isolating your problems from a hardware standpoint. You could setup a test on AWS quite easily. As it stands now, complaining about the same thing over and over without changing anything is the same as watching the Titanic over and over and hoping for a different ending.

you don't know me if you did you would not ask me about hardware or doubt that mc is not capable of dependable real time data feed.

i am not using mc right now and going to wait and see if they will get this fixed or not, i am not going to beta and troubleshoot for free.

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 03 Jan 2019

Try Multicharts 12 R4 that has just been released. From reading the change log there have been some updates with regards to how the software works with TS. It might help your situation.

Mark Brown

Postby Mark Brown » 13 Jan 2019

Try Multicharts 12 R4 that has just been released. From reading the change log there have been some updates with regards to how the software works with TS. It might help your situation.

well i tried it and now i can't use mc at all was that the purpose of getting me to try it? lol

https://imgur.com/gallery/PeCVAJg

going to try it, i have ts version 10 running flawlessly and sidelined mc for a bit.

Anna MultiCharts

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 15 Jan 2019

Hello, Mark!

Please come to our Live Chat that is accessible from our web site http://www.multicharts.com/ (at the top of the page) to demonstrate both issues via remote connection. We'll be expecting you Mon-Fri from 6:30 AM to 12:00 PM EST (11:30 AM to 5:00 PM GMT), we’ll do our best to help you.

Mark Brown

Re: Charts NOT updating in Real Time  [SOLVED]

Postby Mark Brown » 16 Jan 2019

Version: MultiCharts64 Version 12.0 Release (Build 17490)

I finally got this build installed with no errors after reinstall and the data is keeping up with TS and CQG.

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 17 Jan 2019

Good news Mark. I am glad that you got it all sorted.

Mark Brown

Postby Mark Brown » 23 Nov 2020

see my charts above now today build 14 is doing the same thing again i think this must be a range bar bug - they really need to look into how range bars are updated in the quote server.

Return to “MultiCharts”