Newbie questions  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
ZaphodB

Newbie questions

Postby ZaphodB » 12 Feb 2019

Greetings MC Community,

I have spent several hours toying around with MC and PL and have a few things I haven't been able to figure out yet but thought I would by now. I've tried to find answers to these with no luck. Any help is appreciated.

1. How are negative numbers coded in PL? I know the "-" symbol is for "minus", therefore what is used to code a negative number?

2. I know how to code if something "is the case", how do I code that something "isn't the case". For example, something like this:

Code: Select all

if is not
(
((time>0955) and (time<1020)) or
((time>1055) and (time<1120)) or
((time>1155) and (time<1220))
)
then.....
I realize I could flip the greater than/less than symbols around but it'd be easier in some cases to take existing code used for the affirmative and use it for "if is not" or something to that extent

3. Does the dailyOpen symbol refer to the Open for regular trading hours or the Open in premarket hours?

Thank you!!
Last edited by ZaphodB on 12 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.

TJ

Re: Newbie questions

Postby TJ » 12 Feb 2019

See post #1 & post #2
[FAQ] How to Post Codes
viewtopic.php?t=11713

ZaphodB

Thanks, fixed the appearance of the code. Do you have any knowledge you can share on the questions I asked?

TJ

Postby TJ » 12 Feb 2019

You can build your analysis with this basic logic

IF condition1 = false
then . . .
To add multiple conditions:

IF condition1 = false
or condition2 = false
or condition3 = false
then . . .

TJ

Postby TJ » 12 Feb 2019

Greetings MC Community,

I have spent several hours toying around with MC and PL and have a few things I haven't been able to figure out yet but thought I would by now. I've tried to find answers to these with no luck. Any help is appreciated.

1. How are negative numbers coded in PL? I know the "-" symbol is for "minus", therefore what is used to code a negative number?

Thank you!!
You can use basic arithmetic notation.

Use the "-" as a prefix for negative numbers,
or use the "-" with space in the front and back as an operator.

ZaphodB

Re: Newbie questions  [SOLVED]

Awesome, thanks for the help! Regarding dailyOpen, I reckon I can plot it somehow to see what it is referring to. I'm inclined to think it's referring to the beginning of premarket (instead of regular session) based on how it's behaving. I think there's also a way I can get a readout of the value of dailyOpen of specific time within a coding window but I haven't figured out how yet. It's all a little bewildering at first and I'm finding there might be things you can do with EL/TS that you can't do with MC (ShowMe etc). In all fairness, when it comes to learning materials, I have only done one of the basic EL video tutorials and perused the MC manual and I know there's more out there. Spent most of my time tinkering an learning as I go so far.

Return to “MultiCharts”