Errors in Optimization

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
albevier

Errors in Optimization

Postby albevier » 28 Mar 2019

I don't see anyone else posting about Optimization errors so I figure that perhaps I'm doing something wrong and I figured I'd pass it by the group here before filing a bug report.

I'm using Multicharts v12.0 and the "Help" says it is the latest release. I'm sitting on a reasonable Windows machine and never get errors regarding memory etc.

When I perform a Genetic Optimization with all the defaults accepted I get resulting inputs that are completely out of the range of "Start Value" and "End Value" input results. For example,
- Input Name: Length
- Start Value: 2
- End Value: 14
- Step: 2
- Step Count: 7
- Resulting value of Length: 75

Given the range of 2 to 14 in steps of 2, I would expect the resulting value of Length to be only one of the can only be 2,4,6,8,10,12, or 14.

But I get anything except within the specified range -- e.g. 20, 55, 70, etc.

If I then close Multicharts, re-open Multicharts, and restart the optimization, I get values for Length that are within the expected range.

If you have an answer, know of a thread on this site that addresses the same or similar, or need more info, let me know. Otherwise I'll enter a bug report.

Thanks in advance.

Svetlana MultiCharts

Re: Errors in Optimization

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 01 Apr 2019

Hello, albevier,

Is it possible to reproduce the issue in Offline mode (File -> Preferences -> Data Server Mode)?
Is it possible to reproduce the issue with pre-built signals?

Please send us the following files to support@multicharts.com so that we would be able to investigate the issue:

1. The workspace where the issue is reproduced.
2. Export of used symbols (with data) from QuoteManager in .qmd archive: http://www.multicharts.com/trading-soft ... rting_Data
3. The exported scripts with all dependent functions that are used on the workspace (if possible):
http://www.multicharts.com/trading-soft ... ng_Studies
4. The script lines, describing the inputs.
5. The screenshots demonstrating the issue.
6. Step-by-step instruction how to reproduce the issue.
7. MultiCharts Logs, collected via Feedback application, when the issue is reproduced: http://www.multicharts.com/trading-soft ... harts_Logs

As soon as we receive the requested files, the engineers will study the case and we will get in touch with you when we have any feedback from them.

albevier

Re: Errors in Optimization

Postby albevier » 02 Apr 2019

Sure, I will get the info to you as soon as I can and no later than by April 8th.

The value of var0 (see below) is often outside the limits set when sequentially optimizing several charts using the same six signals and where each of the six signals use the lines shown below.

inputs:
PR( PercentR(14)),
Length( 2 );
variables:
var0( 0 ) ;
var0 = AverageFC( PR, Length ) ;

I can code the same calculation without "embedding" one function in another but I'd rather not.

Return to “MultiCharts”