Adding backadjusted contracts from IQ, not working  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Salzburg

Adding backadjusted contracts from IQ, not working

Postby Salzburg » 24 Oct 2019

HI, I was looking to ad for example @S#C qcl#c qng#c they exists in IQ DTN, but according to them it has been a problem since 5 years back that Multicharts users contact their support in order to find the backadjusted contracts since they can NOT be imported by auto, they need to be created manually.... they are saying that this has been known to MC for 5 years, so i thought it would be good to perhaps remind you guys that ptoblem still exists... and need to be sorted..

As of today, continues contracts can all be added from IQ, but NOT backadjusted.... why ?

A big hassle having to manually ad a contract when they exist to be auto imported if problem would be fixed..

Many thanks if this could would be solved..

Regards

Gregorian

Re: Adding backadjusted contracts from IQ, not working

Postby Gregorian » 24 Oct 2019

The workaround for this is to add the non-backadjusted contract, e.g. QCL, then edit the Symbol Name in Quote Manager and add the #C. Then reload the chart, and you will have backadjusted data.

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 24 Oct 2019

Ahh, thanks.. will do, but perhaps its a good idea anyway for MC to fix the issue rather than need for a workaround...
But thanks a lot Gregorian, your tip made my life a bit easier :)

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 01 Nov 2019

Multichart? any comments please, its an issue that needs to be fixed and it has been known for 5 years according to IQ and their dev staff, thanks

TJ

Postby TJ » 01 Nov 2019

Is there any reason you do not want to use MultiCharts' Custom Futures?

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 02 Nov 2019

Is there any reason you do not want to use MultiCharts' Custom Futures?
That would require me to have to manually build a new custom future when there is no need to, DTN IQ supplies backadjusted AND non backadjusted, and i should be able to import both the non backadjusted and backadjusted since its suplied as a unique symbol from data supplier... however due to a bug known since 5 years apparently, MC does not allow me to find the backadjusted symbol.... i would say it would be better to fix the bug than try to find a way around it... i could obviously as mentioned kindly to me, just ad the non backadjusted and then ad a C in the end, and then ad the non backadjusted again... however i would say, why not just fix the underlaying issue ? but yes, adding a custom future is another workaround that arrives with lots of extra work for no reason.... but thank you for your advise anyway..

In general i really like MC, but small bugs i think should be possible to fix, helps us all in the end

TJ

Postby TJ » 02 Nov 2019

What do you mean by "need to build a new custom future"?

All you need is to set up the artificial symbol once, and MC will do the back adjusting for you on the fly.

ps. I am not trying to persuade you not to seek the solution you want.

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 03 Nov 2019

What do you mean by "need to build a new custom future"?

All you need is to set up the artificial symbol once, and MC will do the back adjusting for you on the fly.

ps. I am not trying to persuade you not to seek the solution you want.
Thank you TJ for your advice, and it would for sure work, i am not used to creating my own custom futures, but i am sure you are correct.
However the solution i am searching for is to import an already existing future from my data source, DTN IQ, and today the plattform MC has a bug that makes it impossible to search and find both the adjusted and non adjusted future. So i simply ask for a fix for this bug from the software developer.

Appreciate the help though, workarounds around this bug exist as you say.

Thanks

TJ

Postby TJ » 03 Nov 2019

。。。

Appreciate the help though, workarounds around this bug exist as you say.

Thanks
Nope, I know nothing of the bug you are alluding to. I do not use IQ; I do not know why you are experiencing what you are experiencing.

What I have shown you is NOT a workaround. This is the proper way to do a continuous contract.

ps. using a pre-adjusted symbol is not efficient - you have to download the WHOLE data series every time there is a rollover. This will take time, you have to first delete the old data, then download the newly adjusted data again. I don't know how much history IQ provides, but if you have to download years of tick data on multiple data series, it can be quite cumbersome.

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 04 Nov 2019

The bug i am referring to, is that its impossible to search for a future contract in quotemanager, and find both the non adjusted symbol and adjusted symbol, for example qcl# and then the adjusted qcl#c, these symbols which are unique are provided by IQ DTN, and when i contacted them they said that despite multiple requests about this issue that its impossible to import the adjusted contracts in MC, its not fixed, and it has been known since 5 years... this is words from DTN IQ, this is the reason i am calling it a bug, if its not a bug, and this is a behaviour that is normal and intended, ie that you are supposed to find just some symbols and not others from the data provider, then i believe i am in the wrong, and then this is not a bug, its a feature of MC.

So if its a bug i assume you are showing me a workaround since i cant import the adjusted symbol, if its a bug i believe your proposed way is the only way apart from importing the non adjusted and then ad a C in the end and then import the non adjusted again.

But as you say download all data every roll is not optimal.

Anyway if could MC let us know if this is a bug or a feature, it would be great.

Thanks

wilkinsw

Postby wilkinsw » 05 Nov 2019

For 7 years I've always just added "C" to "#". Job done.

You'll find that not all IQfeed tickers are searchable in MC. I'd use the IQfeed apps to search if you get stuck. Then do manual additions afterwards.

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 05 Nov 2019

For 7 years I've always just added "C" to "#". Job done.

You'll find that not all IQfeed tickers are searchable in MC. I'd use the IQfeed apps to search if you get stuck. Then do manual additions afterwards.
Thank you @wilkinsw, yes i know and this is a great workaround, it is way past my paygrade it seems why something like this cant be fixed, if symbol is possible to find in IQfeed apps, it should also be possible to import it in MC, one could think... but it seems that this workaround will continue to be needed.

I rest my case since no one from MC seems interested to reply and everyone else seems happy to solve the issue like this..

I will just follow your approach.. thanks

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 15 Nov 2019

Dear users,

This is not a bug of MultiCharts, IQFeed API does not supply #C instruments in the symbol list as shown below.
It has been 3 weeks since we emailed to IQFeed regarding this matter. So far we have not received any comments from their dev team.

Attachments
snapquote_search.png
(171.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 20 Nov 2019

Hi Henry, Well they are saying that they made you aware of the issue many years ago, and now you are saying this. However this does not solve anything, who is right or wrong does not matter, the only thing that matters, is that the problem is solved, so have you managed to get a response to your email ? if not i propose to pick up the phone and try to call them ? if that is not possible kindly let me know and perhaps i can assist in having them to get in contact with you? I dont think though it makes sense to have customers involved in assisting between two companies trying to reach each other to solve a proplem?

Apart form this, thanks for a great product and support though

Cheers

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Adding backadjusted contracts from IQ, not working  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 22 Jan 2020

Last weekend IQFeed has rolled out API update adding support for the back-adjusted #C instruments in the symbol list.
Now you can successfully find them both in MultiCharts and IQFeed apps.

Jupp25

Postby Jupp25 » 03 Jan 2022

Hi,

there are so many other instruments (i.e. @ES.VOL.Z, all from CFTC, etc) wich cant be found via Quote-Manager and I suppose its also because whatever the API doesnt give you.
Could you guys please talk to IQFeed again, its so much hasle to import those instruments manually... Maybe you could comped the Quote-Manager with extra Security Types (MKTRPT, MKTSTATS and whatever actually isn`t a tradeable instrument)

Thanks in advance
Chris

Return to “MultiCharts”