Grain charts

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
york timothy

Grain charts

Postby york timothy » 11 Jun 2008

How do you adjust the price so the grain charts reflect the correct price i.e. instead of 1570 for beans it is 15.70 ? Also how to show the 1/4's as well. Thank you.

Kindest regards,

Tim

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 12 Jun 2008

Hi Tim,

Fractional price scale (such as 1/4 etc) isn't yet supported in MultiCharts.

As for moving that decimal point, you would need to adjust the price scale in QuoteManager. Right-click the symbol, go to Edit Symbol -> Settings. Enable the 'custom settings' option and change the price scale. After you have made the necessary changes, go back to the chart and reload it for the changes to take effect.

If you need any further assistance, please contact us via LiveChat.

Regards.

fs

Postby fs » 13 Jun 2008

Hi Tim,

Fractional price scale (such as 1/4 etc) isn't yet supported in MultiCharts.

As for moving that decimal point, you would need to adjust the price scale in QuoteManager. Right-click the symbol, go to Edit Symbol -> Settings. Enable the 'custom settings' option and change the price scale. After you have made the necessary changes, go back to the chart and reload it for the changes to take effect.

If you need any further assistance, please contact us via LiveChat.

Regards.
Marina

When will fractional scales be supported? We have been asking for this for almost 2 years now and every time the answer is that this is not supported yet. Are you really working on this to get this implemented, or just telling people you are?

See this post where this was asked for already...

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... t=treasury

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 17 Jun 2008

At the moment, there's no ETA for the fractional price scales. We are planning to implement this feature, but there are also many higher priority requests that need to be implemented first.

Regards.

fs

Postby fs » 17 Jun 2008

At the moment, there's no ETA for the fractional price scales. We are planning to implement this feature, but there are also many higher priority requests that need to be implemented first.

Regards.
Marina

Frankly, I think your priorities are not aligned properly if you think there are higher priorities than plotting charts correctly. Plotting charts correctly is the basis of any charting application and should be your base from which you work on. What good are all the other features, if I cannot plot a chart the way it should be?

This is like building a race car and spending all your time on aerodynamics, pretty colors and automations and say "yeah we know the engine is not really that great, but look at all the pretty colors and automatic gear shifting. We think this have higher priority than to have a solid engine".

- Fanus

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 18 Jun 2008

Fractional price display was promised in version 2.1

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=3072

I agree with fs that it should be the highest priority to get basic things like this sorted out. That also goes for not being able to set the correct session times on the electronic grains contracts.

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=4490

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 18 Jun 2008

Regards.
Marina

Frankly, I think your priorities are not aligned properly if you think there are higher priorities than plotting charts correctly. Plotting charts correctly is the basis of any charting application and should be your base from which you work on. What good are all the other features, if I cannot plot a chart the way it should be?

This is like building a race car and spending all your time on aerodynamics, pretty colors and automations and say "yeah we know the engine is not really that great, but look at all the pretty colors and automatic gear shifting. We think this have higher priority than to have a solid engine".

- Fanus
Fanus,

If we're not supporting fractional price scales it doesn't mean that the charts are plotted incorrectly. Those same values are simply shown as decimals.

Regards.

fs

Postby fs » 18 Jun 2008

Regards.
Marina

- Fanus
Fanus,

If we're not supporting fractional price scales it doesn't mean that the charts are plotted incorrectly. Those same values are simply shown as decimals.

Regards.
Marina

Plotting it as decimals is not correct as it is not quoted in decimals, but as fractions and this is how it should be plotted. Auto trading is also not able to handle this. It doesn't convert the decimals to fractions to place orders. Basically you are not supporting symbols quoted in fractions in MC. The more features you add, the more difficult it will be for you to go back and start supporting fractional scales as this will cause a tremendous amount of redesign and rework which is probably why you are so reluctant to support this now. This is why it is important to have a stable base before you start adding features.

As was pointed out in the post above, this was promised in the 2.1 release and we already are at the 3.0 release with the 3.1 release coming up and this is still not supported. How can something promised two releases back now all of a sudden not have high priority anymore?

Can you please provide us with a list of issues you are working on which have higher priority? We have been asking for an public issue log many, many times.

- Fanus

TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Jun 2008

maybe those instrument will go decimal soon?

:oops:

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 19 Jun 2008

Marina

Plotting it as decimals is not correct as it is not quoted in decimals, but as fractions and this is how it should be plotted. Auto trading is also not able to handle this. It doesn't convert the decimals to fractions to place orders. Basically you are not supporting symbols quoted in fractions in MC. The more features you add, the more difficult it will be for you to go back and start supporting fractional scales as this will cause a tremendous amount of redesign and rework which is probably why you are so reluctant to support this now. This is why it is important to have a stable base before you start adding features.

As was pointed out in the post above, this was promised in the 2.1 release and we already are at the 3.0 release with the 3.1 release coming up and this is still not supported. How can something promised two releases back now all of a sudden not have high priority anymore?

Can you please provide us with a list of issues you are working on which have higher priority? We have been asking for an public issue log many, many times.

- Fanus
Dear Fanus,

First of all, let me ask you: do you seriously believe that computers handle data as fractions? Fractions are just a matter of representing the data, nothing more.

We do understand the importance of this feature and it will be implemented in one of the future MC versions.

Many big charting platforms can't plot fractional data. For example, eSignal's charting platform (and eSignal has thousands and thousands of customers) doesn't support plotting fractions. So, frankly, I'm not sure why you're being so bitter about MultiCharts lacking this particular feature.

The two highpriority features we are working on now are the scanner and the synchronized auto trading.

Regards.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 19 Jun 2008

We do understand the importance of this feature and it will be implemented in one of the future MC versions.
Marina,

I guess you never tried trading US T Notes or Bonds when your trading platform displays fractions but your chart is in decimal.
From a quick search of this forum I see that many of your customers also understand the importance.

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=3072
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=4469
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=4243
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=3762
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=690
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=4737
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=1952

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 19 Jun 2008

As I said before, fractions will be added in one of the future versions of MC. However, for now, we don't have the ETA for its implementation.

regards.

fs

Postby fs » 19 Jun 2008

Marina

First of all, let me ask you: do you seriously believe that computers handle data as fractions? Fractions are just a matter of representing the data, nothing more.
No, computers handle data in binary data. 0's and 1's. Nor decimals, nor fractions. If fractions are just a way to display data, so is decimals. You just deliberately ignore the one way because this is easier for you. I don't see the relevance anyway. Should I call my broker when they reject my order placed in decimals and ask if they seriously think computers handle data as fractions? This is such a naive outlook which make me questions TSSupport's understanding of traders needs.
You clearly don't as you would have implemented it already.
Many big charting platforms can't plot fractional data. For example, eSignal's charting platform (and eSignal has thousands and thousands of customers) doesn't support plotting fractions.
You market yourself as a superior charting platform and to be compatible, but better as TS. Even from the Supercharts version of TS were they able to to plot fractional scales. That is more than 10 years ago. If you want to compare yourself with eSignal, I can list several features of eSignal you do not have. Besides, I find it curious that you compare yourself now with eSignal as you pointed out in another thread about taking care of rollover that eSignal is really a data provider.
So, frankly, I'm not sure why you're being so bitter about MultiCharts lacking this particular feature.
This is was something asked for numerous times over the last two years and promised in the 2.1 version. Aren't you bitter when someone breaks a promise to you and keep on telling you next time it will be done?
The two high priority features we are working on now are the scanner and the synchronized auto trading.
No matter how good auto trading work, it is useless for someone trading symbols quoted in fractions.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 07 Jul 2008

Hi Fanus,

We are trying to understand what the problem that you are reporting is:

If it's just the visualization of the price scale, then, as I mentioned before, we are planning to add the fractional price scale but in later versions of the program.

However, if you are saying that the orders generated by MC for the symbols that are quoted in fractions are rejected by Interactive Brokers, please give us a list of those symbols. In the tests that we ran for such symbols, no orders were rejected by IB.

Thank you.

fs

Postby fs » 09 Jul 2008

Marina

I am sorry, but I gave up reporting bugs and providing additional information to help you resolve them. I have spent far too much time in the past doing this and in the end nothing got resolved or I was given the vague statement that this will be resolved in one of the future versions. For all I know one of these future versions could be years from now. This is just not worth my time anymore and is just upsetting me. One can only ran that many times into a brick wall before you realize the wall is not going to move.

I have moved on to other charting/trading/research platforms for my primary research and execution. MC for me now is just a platform to provide basic real time charting and to quickly test out ideas since EasyLanguage is relatively easy to use and verify if an idea is worthwhile before porting it to the more robust platforms with more extensive and accurate backtesting reports.

I will continue to use it in this capacity and review the new versions to see if the list of issues I have discovered are getting resolved. My hope is that they will and that I can start using MC as my primary platform again. Until then, I wish you best of luck.

Return to “MultiCharts”