Strategy Automation Testing Using Paper Trader Account..  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
deadmandontcry

Strategy Automation Testing Using Paper Trader Account..

Postby deadmandontcry » 04 May 2020

I am trying to test real time execution logic using a mixture of market and limit orders. I have few questions:

1) Big picture, is there any documentation on best practices for backtesting limit orders both for a) Historical performance results b) playback and testing in real time?

2) I am trying to test real time execution of the strategy using Strategy Automation against the Paper Trading account which I have created through my IB account. I have named it IB.SIM. The problem is that when I when I turn on SA, it is defaulting and executing to my live account. This is the case even when I have disconnected my live account and left the Paper Trading account connected. Also when I have explicitly brought the paper trading tab to the forefront.

The SIM account works and I can manually trade through it from the DOM, but cannot figure out how to get the automation to work through it. In short, how do I turn on Strategy Automation, but force it to execute against my paper trading account?

Thanks any guidance here.
-------------------
Version: MultiCharts64 OpenBeta Version 14.0 (Build 19747)
Paper Sim Account set up with IB as regular broker.

deadmandontcry

Re: Strategy Automation Testing Using Paper Trader Account..  [SOLVED]

Postby deadmandontcry » 07 May 2020

Support answered question #2, so I wanted to provide that in case other people run into the same issue. It was right there, but I didn't scroll down far enough to see it.
In MultiCharts please go Format -> Strategy Properties -> Auto Trading tab. Scroll it down and in the Select Broker Plug-in dropdown list make sure that the correct broker is selected. Then click the settings icon to the right of this dropdown list and here you can choose the necessary account (please check the attached screenshot). You should do that for each chart that is meant to autotrade.
If anyone has a link to consolidated best practices for testing or anything related to automated trading in MC, that would still be appreciated.

TJ

Re: Strategy Automation Testing Using Paper Trader Account..

Postby TJ » 07 May 2020

This FAQ covers a lot of the beginners' questions.
viewtopic.php?t=10811

Return to “MultiCharts”