Complicated Problem, with MC Freezing Computer from Memory Overload

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
BWO

Complicated Problem, with MC Freezing Computer from Memory Overload

Postby BWO » 07 May 2020

Hi, Multicharts,

Will any of the engineers report on whether Multicharts when given 5 months of tick data in an infinite space of possibilities defined to run for 250,000 runs in a 1123 Population Size and 225 Maximum Generations minimum 1 Generation that has run for 4 days and appeared to solve in that 4 days more than 11 days of the 50 days that when it reached a solution is it possible when it is ready to output this data if the Computer may freeze from such an operation?

I am using my APD Optimizer in Multicharts and using a certain person's algorithmic software such that the goal of this analysis was to complete to a point where the APD Optimizer should find a conclusion much around 25k to 35k Runs even though the 250,000 in this 225,000 space appeared to have solved far beyond the number of days run? As evidenced by elapsed time compared to time remaining there was a significant multi day jump during the previous day today, so will there be any hope from what is a Supercomputer that this Multicharts Optimization will recover and list the output from this analysis?

Without explaining my Supercomputer, I just will say it is a 28 core Xeon with more than 192 GB Ram, and observed a CPU Processing Capacity starting at 75% to as much as 85% during the period where it seemed to finish this analysis particularly with Bar Magnifier on, so will you please advise if based on this information that running this program for 4 days straight on my machine has any chance of avoiding the power button reset I think I may need to give it or can Multicharts recover and output this information prior to twelve hours from now?

Please advise if such information has ever been tested in an infinite possibility space with an APD Optimizer using a range of values that is mostly binary?

Would like to hear if I have any hope of seeing its output based on knowing it was probably solved a few hours ago after running for 4 days?

Is this an analysis that can be seen simply by waiting for the Supercomputer to recover or is it signaling with its clocks now at 2 hours and 17 minutes prior still there that something else is wrong with the machine besides this memory overload I did to see where it would be and as it is in the solvable form I assure you, will this machine possibly be able to come back from unfrozen so I can wait up to 12 hours to see this output?

Would appreciate knowing if there is ever a case where the Supercomputer can come back from a freeze from memory overload that I think is based on how my APD Optimizer has to use placeholder trades rather than native calculation in Multicharts such that the number of runs in the Bar Magnifier could simply be slowing my PC?

Please answer if I need to reset this PC when given this information that I would like you to know that when I ran this APD Optimizer I found it overloads every PC I had prior and if this information with the 28 Core 3.33 GHz 192 GB Ram is possible to come back from where it was 2 hours 20 minutes ago?

Svetlana MultiCharts

Re: Complicated Problem, with MC Freezing Computer from Memory Overload

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 22 May 2020

Hello BWO

Please find some tips below.
One can limit optimization to avoid excessive memory consumption, e.g. reduce the number of combinations when performing the exhaustive optimization; or use genetic algorithm with an adequate population size; or check Use Limitation box to show only a defined number of the best results.
Moreover, immediately after optimization MultiCharts frees up the RAM and flushes the results to the drive in the MCReport file.
On start of optimization MultiCharts reserves the RAM for the required number of results:
- number of combinations or the selected number of best results (exhaustive);
- population size (genetic).

Also MultiCharts creates a number of chart copies for independent calculation in different threads (RAM shall be reserved for it too). MC creates copies according to the number of CPU cores. If the chart data series is long and there are many cores in the CPU, it can occupy quite a lot of RAM.

Return to “MultiCharts”