Separate data source/broker? Best futures data?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
ZaphodB

Separate data source/broker? Best futures data?

Postby ZaphodB » 10 Jul 2020

I recently made the switch from TS to MC+IB and found that the IB data was less precise to the point where it was seriously changing my trade signals (second bars). If I'm reading the wiki correctly, I could theoretically use TS for data for my MC chart while trading through IB brokerage. Is that correct? What's the best source for accurate second bars for index futures?

Gregorian

Re: Separate data source/broker? Best futures data?

Postby Gregorian » 10 Jul 2020

IQFeed is the data provider many MC users prefer for this purpose because of its accuracy and tick history.

ZaphodB

Postby ZaphodB » 10 Jul 2020

IQFeed is the data provider many MC users prefer for this purpose because of its accuracy and tick history.
Thank you, do you know the server location for their futures data? It seems like you are implying that it is indeed possible to use a different data feed and broker for live trading?

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 10 Jul 2020

Thank you, do you know the server location for their futures data? It seems like you are implying that it is indeed possible to use a different data feed and broker for live trading?
It's not only possible but preferred.

TraderGuy

Postby TraderGuy » 10 Jul 2020

TS data with IB as the broker does work. And as far as I can see, works well. IB as a data provider, not so much,. I gave up on that rather quickly.

TJ

Postby TJ » 10 Jul 2020

See post #16
(16) [FAQ] How to AutoTrade with IB, but using a different Data provider
Symbol Mapping
viewtopic.php?t=6845

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 11 Jul 2020

In the past I ran futures data speed and tick count tests for CQG, Rithmic, TT and Gain capital. Of those I felt CQG was best. I would not use Gain. Recently I ran a test between CQG and TS. Slight tick count difference, speed the same. TS only has last, has more data available and is free with a funded account. CQG adds bid/ask data price depends on broker. Could not compare IB, but given the limits on the data available, it’s not for me.

ZaphodB

Postby ZaphodB » 11 Jul 2020

Thanks for all the info, guys. It sounds like it's down to CQG and IQFeed. I see that IQFeed has a discount program for CME data ( https://www.iqfeed.net/index.cfm?displa ... =feewaiver )

Any idea where the servers are located?

Gregorian

Postby Gregorian » 12 Jul 2020

I believe IQFeed servers are located in Nebraska.

ZaphodB

Postby ZaphodB » 24 Jul 2020

Thanks, guys. What's the best way to get CQG data if I'm not trading through them? I imagine it doesn't come free.. Do I need to open an account and keep a minimum balance or do they offer data subcriptions?

granitepeak

Postby granitepeak » 25 Jul 2020

A suggestion would be to open an account with AMP Futures (or a company that is similar). You can select just CME,CBOE,NYMEX or COMEX , I think for $10 each or as a bundle for $31 a month. Those are the exchange fees. CQG gets paid cents per trade. While they claim there is no inactivity fee. I would imagine if no trading took place it might raise an eyebrow. Maybe do some trading with them.

ZaphodB

Postby ZaphodB » 27 Jul 2020

A suggestion would be to open an account with AMP Futures (or a company that is similar). You can select just CME,CBOE,NYMEX or COMEX , I think for $10 each or as a bundle for $31 a month. Those are the exchange fees. CQG gets paid cents per trade. While they claim there is no inactivity fee. I would imagine if no trading took place it might raise an eyebrow. Maybe do some trading with them.
Great, thank you! That's more affordable than what I feared. Sometimes you hit the end of the internet when researching topics... When you start leaving the realm of retail trading and find yourself in the area where professionals dwell (not calling myself a professional) but they don't seem to share their info on the web as much :) I saw something about free live CGQ data with a demo account but it may have been only through NT. I didn't know if that existed anywhere else. Again, appreciate the tip

granitepeak

Postby granitepeak » 28 Jul 2020

Your welcome
Amp has a free demo with CQG

ZaphodB

Postby ZaphodB » 30 Jul 2020

Nice, I'll have to look into Amp. Thank you

Return to “MultiCharts”