Use of "Open of Next Bar" in Trading-Signals  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
KarlBlau

Use of "Open of Next Bar" in Trading-Signals

Postby KarlBlau » 06 Sep 2020

Hallo forum members,

I am new to this forum and first would like to say hallo to everyone! I am quite new to MultiCharts programming, but I have some few years of EasyLanguage programming using TS that I've used some years ago.

I have the following question: Is there a way to make use of the subsequent bar's open price in a condition within MultiCharts?

Thanks for your comments.
Best regards, K.B.

TJ

Re: Use of "Open of Next Bar" in Trading-Signals

Postby TJ » 06 Sep 2020

>>subsequent bar's open price

Straight answer -- NO

We perform our evaluation based on existing data.

If you want to include an open price in your logic, you have to first wait for it to happen, then do your evaluation.

KarlBlau

Postby KarlBlau » 07 Sep 2020

Thanks for your answer. So I'll rewrite some code ...

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 07 Sep 2020

You can use the `Symbol_Open` variable to get the open price of the next bar. See https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... ymbol_Open for more.

This does require that your script doesn't run on the last bar of the chart, or else `Symbol_Open` triggers an error. (You can check for that possibility by comparing the current bar number with the total number of bars on the chart.)

Note that `Symbol_Open` doesn't make the strategy calculate in the context of the next bar's open. That feature is in MultiCharts .NET, but not in regular MultiCharts as far as I can tell.

So when you use `Symbol_Open`, the strategy still calculates on the close of price bars, but with the benefit of knowing where the next bar's open is going to be.

KarlBlau

Re: Use of "Open of Next Bar" in Trading-Signals  [SOLVED]

Postby KarlBlau » 18 Sep 2020

Thanks JoshM for your excellent hint. The "Symbol_Open" variable contains the needed information, in my case!

I added the following lines at the top of the signal's code to be able to use "NxtOpen:

Code: Select all

vars: NxtOpen (0); NxtOpen=Close; if barnumber + MaxBarsBack < Symbol_Length then begin NxtOpen = symbol_open[-1]; end;

Return to “MultiCharts”