Workspace questions for peak performance

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
joebone

Workspace questions for peak performance

Postby joebone » 30 Oct 2020

MC 14 seems like it runs slower than 12...... considerably slower is some cases. So before I throw in the towel and go back to 12 I wanted to make sure I am running things optimally.

The wiki says this about workspaces.
"To achieve peak performance limit the number of simultaneously open workspaces to the ones you actually need."

So I have a question about multiple charts. Say I am using 5 or 6 different charts of the same Instrument. 4 of these are for research and and 2 are for live signal trading. I currently have a workspace for each of these and I think this is redundant. I haven't had any problems with this as my computer is pretty powerful but now I am seeing some issues with the MC14 being slower so I wanted to double check with everyone here.

If you have several charts of the same instrument running different version of the same strategy... would you put all these into the same workspace? What are the different workspaces designed for. Should I try to run all my charts into one workspace?

Any other things I should do to improve efficiency?

Thanks for any help

syswizard

Re: Workspace questions for peak performance

Postby syswizard » 01 Nov 2020

Interesting. I have not experienced the slowdown in MC 14 that you have.
I have 4 charts running 200 tick charts in the same workspace for live trading.
I use one Desktop configuration for live trading and another one for backtesting.

I think even more important than keeping open workspaces to a minimum for live trading is this:
Make sure your indicators have the property of "Update Every Tick" set to off....unless you really need that frequent of an update.

joebone

Postby joebone » 03 Nov 2020

I use one Desktop configuration for live trading and another one for backtesting.

I think even more important than keeping open workspaces to a minimum for live trading is this:
Make sure your indicators have the property of "Update Every Tick" set to off....unless you really need that frequent of an update.
I have been looking for other people experiencing any problems with a major slow down and haven't seen enough to confirm it at all... makes me think I might of had a bad install. I had some other technical problems as well when I installed and I think maybe I had some sort of bad install or something.

When I would load optimization results to the chart from the optimization report it was terribly slow. No one else has complained and mine was to the point of being unusable. makes me think my experience was unique.

biffhero

Postby biffhero » 08 Nov 2020

Agreed.

I have been trying to remember to turn it off every time I go into an indicator.

Is there a way to set "Update Every Tick" off on a global basis? I realize I need to say "set as default", but if I have it turned on anywhere, and haven't remembered to go back and turn it off, that's ... suboptimal. I'd appreciate a setting called "set this on all indicators".

Thanks,
Rob

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 09 Nov 2020

Guys - I have to report on a wild day like today with E-Mini ES futures coming in a 2.5 million contracts for volume and reaching upwards of 100 ticks per second, my workstation's CPU barely went above 5% utilization. And I had several charts with indicators set to "Update On Every Tick".
For this fine performance, we have to thank the MC developers for their most excellent multi-threaded architecture in MC-14. It really is amazing as I have a 4 year old quad-core processor that is really slow compared to today's gaming machines.

joebone

Postby joebone » 09 Nov 2020

Guys - I have to report on a wild day like today with E-Mini ES futures coming in a 2.5 million contracts for volume and reaching upwards of 100 ticks per second, my workstation's CPU barely went above 5% utilization. And I had several charts with indicators set to "Update On Every Tick".
For this fine performance, we have to thank the MC developers for their most excellent multi-threaded architecture in MC-14. It really is amazing as I have a 4 year old quad-core processor that is really slow compared to today's gaming machines.
Im happy to hear that! Some of the feature upgrades are awesome! I am going to reach for the new 14 ASAP. I think for me I will have to use 2 licenses so that I can upgrade one at a time. That way I can have my full workflow mapped out prior to the jump. Would be a neat feature if I could run 14 and 12 at the same time. But other than that I think I need 2 licenses.

biffhero

Postby biffhero » 14 Nov 2020

I also like 14 much better than 12.

Thank you,
Rob

GuppyDRV

Postby GuppyDRV » 14 Nov 2020

I have been looking for other people experiencing any problems with a major slow down and haven't seen enough to confirm it at all... makes me think I might of had a bad install. I had some other technical problems as well when I installed and I think maybe I had some sort of bad install or something.

When I would load optimization results to the chart from the optimization report it was terribly slow. No one else has complained and mine was to the point of being unusable. makes me think my experience was unique.
Same issue for me with slowdown while viewing optimization or trading report. I’ve had several other issues as well. I’ll post more tomorrow but have another thread active with no replies in this forum. I’ll update that with a more detailed explanation, sorry not in a position at the moment but wanted to see if there have been any solutions.

Is it possible to have had a bad instal? I’ve not otherwise had any issue with MC in many years of stable use.

GuppyDRV

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 15 Nov 2020

Just a few more observations regarding MC-14:
1. Optimization runs surprisingly fast - even with the "exhaustive" option.
2. Saving a Strategy Performance Report to Excel is really slow.

joebone

Postby joebone » 16 Nov 2020

Same issue for me with slowdown while viewing optimization or trading report. I’ve had several other issues as well. I’ll post more tomorrow but have another thread active with no replies in this forum. I’ll update that with a more detailed explanation, sorry not in a position at the moment but wanted to see if there have been any solutions.

Is it possible to have had a bad instal? I’ve not otherwise had any issue with MC in many years of stable use.

GuppyDRV
That's good to hear that at least one other person has had this experience. Again I have used MC for several years now with only a few complaints. The new additions in 14 look awesome and I can't wait to get there....

plz link your other thread for convenience.

Return to “MultiCharts”