MC 14, safe to use or not?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Salzburg

MC 14, safe to use or not?

Postby Salzburg » 26 Nov 2020

After reading all the issue people are having with MC14, and datafeeds stopping during livetrading etc..
I feel that it is not really safe to use for live trading the currently released of 14..

I also find it strange that MC team does not just state exactly what the known issues are in the public forum, and if there is fixes for it or not and if patches is issued for current issues, then publish them.

What is expected of us the traders ? to upgrade, hope, test and try for live trading ? and if it does not work publish in a forum and hope that a fellow nice soul responses with a solution?

Would it not be better to state clearly all the issues known as of today, so its possible to understand if one can safely use it or not as it is now in its current version.

If its not deemed safe to use as it is now, then you should revert back to mc12, and release 14 ONLY when its tested properly by you as a company and declared safe to use. When multiple users publish that data feed randomly stops... then i believe its not safe to use for live trading, what do you think ?

Also, to change license terms for lifetime license holders, that bought into on existing terms at the time of purchase, is not really cool.
Feel free to change the terms for new buyers, but not for existing license holders. Would also be great if you declared the change and not just
in a small post somewhere, btw we have now changed so that you cant use your existing license you have on two pc anymore one off line and other online.. we just took that option away, so just buy a new license.

gpw797

Re: MC 14, safe to use or not?

Postby gpw797 » 26 Nov 2020

I have been documenting the charts stuck and not updating issue for well over a year and it is still a problem :( I trade live with MC but have lost plenty of money over the years from software issues. I have a lifetime license as well and think that changing the terms on an existing agreement is not good business.

Today is another example of stability issues.. Oanda stopped working with MC early today and I have open positions which I can't manage in MC (using version 14). I missed a partial exit of a position because platform stopped working. Hopefully they will come up with a fix soon and glad it didn't happen on a real volatile day.

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 26 Nov 2020

I do have to say to MC defence, that i have used mc for years and are using version 12, for live trading, and i am very happy with its reliability. However i use it on a server and only for execution, at a professional host and having lots of CPU and RAM, and i never update to latest version directly after release.

So overall i am very happy with MC.

But licensing handling, like this latest twist, and release v14 without proper testing and bug/error communication, is not great at all.

Mydesign

Postby Mydesign » 27 Nov 2020

Same feeling here...

As lifetime licence holders I guess we are not a priority anymore since we don't bring any cashflow to MC.
As for MC14 reliability, we all agree that this realease was a bit premature. I hope good news will come soon on both aspects.

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 01 Dec 2020

@Multicharts,

A comment would be awesome, do you consider MC14 safe to use for autotrading ?

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 07 Dec 2020

@Multicharts
So is version 14 safe to use or not ?

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 11 Dec 2020

@Multicharts
So is version 14 safe to use or not ?
?

janus

Postby janus » 24 Dec 2020

So, what's the real user experience when one installs MC14 on one PC while still having MC12 on another PC with regards to the new way the user needs to authenticate on MC14? Can one still use MC12 on the other PC (not at the same time of course)?

janus

Postby janus » 30 Dec 2020

Looks like I'm the only one to do this. I will just have to give it a try. If I'm locked out of MC12 as a result I'll call support for help.

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 30 Dec 2020

Janus, i believe this will work however, as i understand it, now with two computers one 14 and one 12 you cant use them together at same time, for example one online and one offline (this is working with 12) where you could be online autotrading with one instance, and then doing off line research with the other...

janus

Postby janus » 30 Dec 2020

Thank you Salzburg. How would MC14 know that I would be running MC12 offline with no internet connection? I'm sure I could do that. I just need to install MC12 in VMWare (as I was doing before I replaced it with MC14) and only use it with the internet disconnected. I could even do that on the same PC if I make sure the internet connection to the VMWare image running MC12 is disabled.

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 30 Dec 2020

Portfolio Trader crashed on me when I clicked on button to close position manually yesterday. Only running four symbols tick based charts.

joebone

Postby joebone » 07 Jan 2021

I have 3 licenses. I use one license with the most up to date MC on it and let that trade paper money. Also, there are a lot of cool new features on MC14 that I am experimenting with. If you are live trading any decent amount of cash then its not a serious cost. I use the stable older version to trade live money (MC12). Then I have an additional license to capture only live data and test backtested results on the live only data to make sure everything checks out.

This is the way

Edit... just wanted to confirm i have experienced bugs on MC14. But give them time. they will hammer it out.

wilkinsw

Postby wilkinsw » 28 Jan 2021

Would any users agree that it could make sense for MC to move away from lifetime licenses?

Call me crazy, but I want to make sure my software provider has the cash flow to stay solvent and keeping on top of their R&D.

Why not charge an monthly/quarterly/annual fee, no lifetime option? Or maybe retain a lifetime option for research purposes only, but not for live use?

joebone

Postby joebone » 28 Jan 2021

Would any users agree that it could make sense for MC to move away from lifetime licenses?

Call me crazy, but I want to make sure my software provider has the cash flow to stay solvent and keeping on top of their R&D.

Why not charge an monthly/quarterly/annual fee, no lifetime option? Or maybe retain a lifetime option for research purposes only, but not for live use?
in some ways it is surprising that I don't have to pay monthly for this. considering all the other things I pay for every month.

janus

Postby janus » 28 Jan 2021

in some ways it is surprising that I don't have to pay monthly for this. considering all the other things I pay for every month.
That's fine as long as existing lifetime holders don't have to pay. If it were made retrospective it would be dishonouring an agreement of purchase already made and would be illegal in most if not all countries.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 28 Jan 2021

I just had MC14 stop plotting prices yesterday for the second time in the past week. I don't autotrade except for exits sometimes. I use IQfeed data, MC14 just stopped for no reason. (I wasn't in a trade at the time, just watching charts). I use Charttrader exclusively. Frozen charts are unacceptable and dangerous to my account.
I'll be switching back to MC12 as well.

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 03 Feb 2021

I had another crash in middle of night, in multicharts (not portfolio trader) with only 2 charts open and trading and it crashed! I might go back to a previous version or move it to NT... crashes usually cost me money.

joebone

Postby joebone » 03 Feb 2021

I had another crash in middle of night, in multicharts (not portfolio trader) with only 2 charts open and trading and it crashed! I might go back to a previous version or move it to NT... crashes usually cost me money.
MC 14 or 12?

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 04 Feb 2021

14 2 latest

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 12 Feb 2021

MultiCharts64 Version 14.0 Release (Build 21357)

Freezing on me once a day with IQFeed. I have to exit and restart MC to get things working again.

Unusable for me. Rolling back to MC12. Edit...at least until I figure out what is happening.

Alex
Last edited by hughesfleming on 12 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Svetlana MultiCharts

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 12 Feb 2021

@Multicharts,

Hello,

We put great efforts in the quality of our product, improve stability and functionality in new each release. Each new version is tested carefully before the release.
In case of any stability issues please report the details to our support directly.

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 12 Feb 2021

@Multicharts,

Hello,

We put great efforts in the quality of our product, improve stability and functionality in new each release. Each new version is tested carefully before the release.
In case of any stability issues please report the details to our support directly.
Hi Svetlana, "in case of stability issues" i mean, the whole forum is full of reports of version 14, being unstable, so i think its the opposite, you should make a clear statement in forum with known unstable issues and use the forum to publish fixes for the known issues to all. I believe there are some unstable issues at the moment that is known, but unless you as a user read trough every post on the forum from other users, you cant know, and even in that case, you dont know the possible fixes for them.

So, i for sure, don't feel safe to use version 14 for my real trading, especially with multiple reports from separate users having their data feeds stopping, memory issues and crashes from that, etc.. hence it would be great if MC team communicate better about the known issues and when we can expect fixes for them.

Having issues and bugs in nothing strange, its the non communication that causes concern.

Apart from that, very happy MC 12 user..

Svetlana MultiCharts

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 12 Feb 2021

@Multicharts,

Hello,

Hi Svetlana, "in case of stability issues" i mean, the whole forum is full of reports of version 14, being unstable, so i think its the opposite, you should make a clear statement in forum with known unstable issues and use the forum to publish fixes for the known issues to all. I believe there are some unstable issues at the moment that is known, but unless you as a user read trough every post on the forum from other users, you cant know, and even in that case, you dont know the possible fixes for them.

So, i for sure, don't feel safe to use version 14 for my real trading, especially with multiple reports from separate users having their data feeds stopping, memory issues and crashes from that, etc.. hence it would be great if MC team communicate better about the known issues and when we can expect fixes for them.

Having issues and bugs in nothing strange, its the non communication that causes concern.

Every new release contains fixes found in the previous versions. We post them on what’s new page.
If you use the latest version – you have all those fixes.
Cases reported by the customers are analyzed by our team, and if an issue is admitted as a bug, it will be fixed in future versions.

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 12 Feb 2021

Hello,

Every new release contains fixes found in the previous versions. We post them on what’s new page.
If you use the latest version – you have all those fixes.
Cases reported by the customers are analyzed by our team, and if an issue is admitted as a bug, it will be fixed in future versions.

That sounds great Svetlana, and is whats expected, thank you.

And where do you post the admitted bugs for version 14, that the users can expect fixes for in the future update ?
I would believe this is crucial in order to decide if i want to use the latest update or not.
The bugs that is the most common right now by judging form the forum is, live data stops randomly and memory issues that causing crashes etc.
are these admited bugs?
where can we as users see these bugs right now?

You send out fixes to single users that has errors, why are you not publishing these to everyone? instead of waiting for people to find out and report about known bugs and first then receive a personal file fix ?

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 14 Feb 2021

@Salzburg

with personal fix You help the dev team to test quickly if they solve the issue, if they can fix the issue for You, after if it's ok they can make it for all other MC users. In debugging process it's very difficult to reproduce real world then some power users can help them to find bugs and fix them more quikly.

MC14 is always in release 2 then not safe to use for all users in real trading, fortunately they have some customers who use MC14 early to use new functions or new brokers and help Multicharts to be better and better.

Now, i know Multicharts company for a long time (10 years lol), and they are always sensitive about bug report in this forum, because they confuse bug report and complaint.. but this forum is for users too, users can share informations and maybe an issue for one user is only a bad setup in his side, then if others users don't have this issue, it's not a MC bug or it need to be investigate by user and MC dev team.

joebone

Postby joebone » 17 Feb 2021

@Salzburg

with personal fix You help the dev team to test quickly if they solve the issue, if they can fix the issue for You, after if it's ok they can make it for all other MC users. In debugging process it's very difficult to reproduce real world then some power users can help them to find bugs and fix them more quikly.

MC14 is always in release 2 then not safe to use for all users in real trading, fortunately they have some customers who use MC14 early to use new functions or new brokers and help Multicharts to be better and better.

Now, i know Multicharts company for a long time (10 years lol), and they are always sensitive about bug report in this forum, because they confuse bug report and complaint.. but this forum is for users too, users can share informations and maybe an issue for one user is only a bad setup in his side, then if others users don't have this issue, it's not a MC bug or it need to be investigate by user and MC dev team.
Yeah I agree it always seems every new software no matter what has issues on rollout. Just part of the process..

And MC is good about letting us use 12 for the time being.

I have had a new problem though for 12. I dropped IQFeed a few days ago and just restarted... luckily I wasn't in a heavy trading pattern. But I did just drop the connection again just now about 10:20 AM eastern. Luckily I was at the computer when it happened cause I was trading this time...

Anyone else getting these problems?

Vlada MultiCharts

Postby Vlada MultiCharts » 24 Feb 2021

Hello everyone,

It looks like there were issues on IQFeed end on February, 17.
The details were shared by Salzburg in this thread.

joebone

Postby joebone » 24 Feb 2021

Hello everyone,

It looks like there were issues on IQFeed end on February, 17.
The details were shared by Salzburg in this thread.
Thanks for update

This link appears to be dead

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 26 Feb 2021

FYI : I am still losing the connection to IQFeed almost daily. It just stops and I have to close MC and restart. I don't care which side the problem is coming from but it makes the platform too risky to use. I hope it is solved soon.

regards,

Alex

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 26 Feb 2021

FYI : I am still losing the connection to IQFeed almost daily. It just stops and I have to close MC and restart. I don't care which side the problem is coming from but it makes the platform too risky to use. I hope it is solved soon.

regards,

Alex
I was losing IQfeed connection with MC14 too but since I went back to MC12, it hasn't been a problem.

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 27 Feb 2021

Thanks sptrader, I will do that this weekend.

Regards,

Alex

Vlada MultiCharts

Postby Vlada MultiCharts » 01 Mar 2021

Hello Alex,

We have received a similar request from IQFeed user a bit earlier that day. This issue is related to the issues on IQFeed end and not to the version of MultiCharts used. If you are experiencing data issues, you can use Reload (View -> Reload) to upload the missing data.

Since it is not related to this thread, please create a separate thread for IQFeed or you can use this one.

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 02 Mar 2021

Something is strange here. I was an IQFeed user for 2 years. Rarely there was a problem.
There's got to be something else to this.....settings, symbols, etc.

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 03 Mar 2021

Agree, IQ had been rock solid for me also, however during recent months there has been 2 confirmed internet issues from their side, (confirmed by their support staff) that caused reconnection attempts in iq appication, not dataloss though.

I doubt however that IQ is the cause for all the data loss/issues etc that has been reported for mc14.

Me as a user still struggle to understand, if there is a problem inMC14 that causes data issues, as it is now i can only read about different users reporting of data loss issues with MC14, and multichart support has not confirmed that there has been or is a known bug in MC14 that can cause this, so there is no chance that i will upgrade my production trading server to MC 14 from 12, thats for sure at this stage.

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 04 Mar 2021

Thanks Vlada,

I have switched to IB for E-minis and suspended the Long/Short equity algos until there is some clarity from IQFeed. I may just take the year off. That sounds very tempting at the moment.

Alex

Fu510n

Postby Fu510n » 17 Apr 2021

I'm a (reasonably happy) lifetime license holder of 10+ years and have tried multiple versions of MC14 and have always reverted back to MC12 after experiencing reliability issues with live trades (IQFeed/IB). What REALLY has me upset today though is being fortunate enough to finally upgrading to my "dream machine" and being unable to install MC12 there as it's now "unsupported" (per popup message when I try to start it) - "fine, I guess I'll try the latest version of MC14 and hope for the best".

Except...

There's a login now that they've switched to (only) a subscription model? WTH??? Now I can't use EITHER?

Umm - MultiCharts team; I'm able to make a living using v12 of your product and NOT with v14 - I paid for a lifetime license that's apparently not "usable" (I don't expect you to fix/change anything with it, but you shouldn't be forcing me to use a version that doesn't work as well as as an older version and I rely on your product to put food on the table).

Please advise,
Guy

TJ

Postby TJ » 17 Apr 2021

Don't worry, an email to techsupp and they will put you back in v12.

janus

Postby janus » 17 Apr 2021

Thank you Fu510n for confirming I've made the right choice not to upgrade to MC14, for now.

It appears MC has now split into two paths, with MC12 as the dead end for one of them. Given we can't easily go back and forwards between MC12 and MC14 (and future releases) I will have to wait for a more stable version before committing to a new release and never going back to MC12. I hate to think I will be stuck with MC12 forever and miss out on new features.

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 18 Apr 2021

In any other situation, where a software company, have clear indication based on unique users reported feedback, that a new major release is causing issues that can have potential serious consequences for the users, specially where reliability is key and involves money, the most logical decision would be to communicate to all users that there is/can be serious issues with the release, and that users are advised to revert back to latest working release so that company can deem the new release in question or or not....

In this situation the software developer refuses to say anything, and as a consequence users are forced to guess, and discuss on a forum how to handle the issues.... and still.. no official comment from software developer stating ... MC 14 is safe to use or not safe to use..

I think this is quite disrespectful to all the paying users that are relying on your software for providing food on the table, as one user said.

Problem is not the actual potential issue/bug/error or whatever, this is expected for new releases. Problem is the lack of communication.

Fu510n

Postby Fu510n » 18 Apr 2021

On a brighter note, I was able to reinstall/register MC12 thanks to a gracious fellow user's tip.

I'll still continue to "test" MC14 until they get things right - as a software developer (of 35+ years), I can appreciate what it takes to both write and support something as complex as MultiCharts. Sadly, I've yet to find any "perfect" retail trading platform, but MultiChart has come the closest (at least for me). If I ever won the lottery, I'd pay for a source code license and make the tweaks myself; alas, at the moment it's just a tad too steep for my checkbook :).

Keeping the faith,
Guy

janus

Postby janus » 18 Apr 2021

I'm in no hurry to upgrade to MC14..I'm sure it will only improve. I find MC pretty much the best trading platform for broker and data feed coverage (although I wish they hurry up and support IG Markets as promised a long time ago).

Vlada MultiCharts

Postby Vlada MultiCharts » 19 Apr 2021

Fu510n,

To install MultiCharts 12 on a new PC, the assistance of our support team is required. This is true for all the obsolete versions.

We do not have a policy of restricting our customers to use a particular version, this limitation was made for safety reasons.
We'll be happy to assist you and all the licensed users with this via remote connection in our Live Chat.

janus

Postby janus » 19 Apr 2021

To install MultiCharts 12 on a new PC, the assistance of our support team is required. This is true for all the obsolete versions.
I don't believe the second statement is correct. In the past it was a simple exercise to install a previous version of MC without the assistance of the support team. It's only after installing and using MC14 that the support team is required to go back to an older version. This is by design due to a change in licence handling.

joebone

Postby joebone » 21 Apr 2021

On a brighter note, I was able to reinstall/register MC12 thanks to a gracious fellow user's tip.

I'll still continue to "test" MC14 until they get things right - as a software developer (of 35+ years), I can appreciate what it takes to both write and support something as complex as MultiCharts. Sadly, I've yet to find any "perfect" retail trading platform, but MultiChart has come the closest (at least for me). If I ever won the lottery, I'd pay for a source code license and make the tweaks myself; alas, at the moment it's just a tad too steep for my checkbook :).

Keeping the faith,
Guy
Multiple Licenses is definitely the best way to attack the problem. Test 14 for stability and report bugs as you test to help MC improve.

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 21 Apr 2021

Best would be to have a stable version and a beta that is in beta until its deemed stable, so users that are interested in being testers, trying and providing feedback of errors, and using latest versions all the time, can do this with the knowledge that it most likely have bugs, and then users that needs to run a serious stable version for live server trading can do so in a stable, non test environment.

Svetlana MultiCharts

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 22 Apr 2021

Best would be to have a stable version and a beta that is in beta until its deemed stable, so users that are interested in being testers, trying and providing feedback of errors, and using latest versions all the time, can do this with the knowledge that it most likely have bugs, and then users that needs to run a serious stable version for live server trading can do so in a stable, non test environment.
Hello Salzburg,

MC 14 had several OpenBeta versions for about a year before the release.

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 22 Apr 2021

Hello Salzburg,

Yes i know, and i used this beta trial, however problem is that it seems to be still in beta, since there seems a large amount of reported issues as you most likely know and is the reason for a thread like the one we are participating in right now.

My comment. was arguing for an ongoing stable version existing, and and release beta version.

My biggest question to MC is, would you argue that the version 14 is a stable version in its current state ? or would you argue that the version 12 that you not any longer supporting is the stable version ? i would argue that mc 12 is stable and version 14 is beta in its current state, at least this is the reason i refuse to use version 14 for any live trading in its current state.

Thanks

joebone

Postby joebone » 22 Apr 2021

Hello Salzburg,

Yes i know, and i used this beta trial, however problem is that it seems to be still in beta, since there seems a large amount of reported issues as you most likely know and is the reason for a thread like the one we are participating in right now.

My comment. was arguing for an ongoing stable version existing, and and release beta version.

My biggest question to MC is, would you argue that the version 14 is a stable version in its current state ? or would you argue that the version 12 that you not any longer supporting is the stable version ? i would argue that mc 12 is stable and version 14 is beta in its current state, at least this is the reason i refuse to use version 14 for any live trading in its current state.

Thanks

To me it seems like they are very comfortable with people continuing to use 12. I know its frustrating that 14 came with some issues but software rollout is complicated. I am comfortably using both 12 and 14.

Return to “MultiCharts”