Will MC auto fix delayed IB live stream  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Will MC auto fix delayed IB live stream

Postby bowlesj3 » 27 Nov 2020

Hi,

I use Interactive Brokers Traders Work Station to get a live stream of Canadian Stock level 1 quotes fed into MultiCharts to provide 7 charts per stock (1W 1D 30M 15M 5M 1M 1S). I do this with the MC scanner (a total of 90 stocks).

However my system signaled a trade in Tesla and it went up 19 times (sadly a paper trade). So that has me thinking. I just entered the Tesla symbol in TWS and it takes it as a 15 minute delayed quote because I have not subscribed to the US stocks bundle. So I am thinking maybe I should set up the MC quote manager to accept the delayed quote on this one stock or maybe a few US stocks which would be long term swing trades of a few months or even investments of a few years. So the idea is to feed MC the data of TSLA in delayed format then if I see the time to buy approaching I would upgrade the feed on the US stocks to a live feed to make the actual trade then discontinue it until it is time to sell again (no point in paying for a live feed for trades taken only once every year or two). The question becomes "How will MC handle the shift from Delayed to Live" and even more interesting "How will MC handle the shift from Live back to delayed". Will it screw up the charts? Does anyone have any thoughts or even tried this?

Thanks,
John

Vlada MultiCharts

Re: Will MC auto fix delayed IB live stream

Postby Vlada MultiCharts » 10 Dec 2020

Hello John,

Each time you build a chart, data is requested from IB servers and then saved to MultiCharts local database on your PC.
So, if you stop receiving live data, the data you have collected will not be erased from the database and you'll be able to plot them on the chart.
We do recommend to back up your data using on a regular basis to avoid any data and settings loss.
You can use our Backup tool for this.

bowlesj3

Re: Will MC auto fix delayed IB live stream  [SOLVED]

Postby bowlesj3 » 10 Dec 2020

Hello John,

Each time you build a chart, data is requested from IB servers and then saved to MultiCharts local database on your PC.
So, if you stop receiving live data, the data you have collected will not be erased from the database and you'll be able to plot them on the chart.
We do recommend to back up your data using on a regular basis to avoid any data and settings loss.
You can use our Backup tool for this.
Thanks Vlada, I take that to mean it will probably be okay but back it up just in case (which I do already). I am thinking that a ctrl+R reload would fix any problems regardless. Maybe I will give this a run and report back some day.

Return to “MultiCharts”