IQFeed Cont. Contracts...  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Largo

IQFeed Cont. Contracts...  [SOLVED]

Postby Largo » 03 Dec 2020

It takes a while for me to post anywhere, but I wasted too much time...

I switched to IQFeed but I cant get a continuous contract to work, its only loading the Data from the recent contract. I tried:

- Simply adding a Future (@ES#) and re-naming it (@ES#C). Tried on multiple instruments, deleted cache / data / symbol and re-done it (and so on and so forth)
- created custom future, that is simply showing the error msg "To construct custom futures please add contracts..." which is not necessary if i understood the FAQ correct.

I'm desperate. What am I missing? Maybe its just something trivial.

TJ

Re: IQFeed Cont. Contracts...

Postby TJ » 03 Dec 2020

Why don't you use the MultiCharts' custom future?

MC can build back-adjusted continuous contract on the fly, and you don't have to reload the whole data series every time a contract rolls over.

Mark Brown

Postby Mark Brown » 03 Dec 2020

i have demo's of rithmic, iqfeed and i run ts data and ALL of the data has to load every time MC is not capable of storing data?

i really get sick of posting this so straiten me and other out on how to save m### f### data please.

in fact this is just one more bug i will report in the forum since i can not register to be in the bug forum, lol.

Largo

Postby Largo » 04 Dec 2020

Why don't you use the MultiCharts' custom future?
Like I said, I tried
- created custom future, that is simply showing the error msg "To construct custom futures please add contracts..." which is not necessary if i understood the FAQ correct.
MC is simply putting out the error MSG, even though I have a contract from this instrument in my QuoteManager. Error Msg down that link:
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... om_Futures

TJ

Postby TJ » 04 Dec 2020

Your title is the IQFeed Cont. Contracts...

Maybe there is a misunderstanding . . . ? ? ?

Let me wipe the slate clean and start from the beginning:

There are two ways to get Continuous Contracts on your chart.

1. Dataprovider supplied continuous contract.
The dataprovider (eg IQFeed) creates an artificial symbol name.
Inside the symbol are quotes of contracts that are strung together into one continuous contract.
These can be back-adjusted, or they can be simply old contracts linked together one-after-another.
You need to read the dataprovider's symbol specification for detail.
If the quotes are back-adjusted, you will need to delete and re-load the data at every rollover.

2. MultiCharts Custom Futures
MultiCharts can strings the contracts together for you to create a visually continuous chart.
Before you start, you must already have the quotes in your computer's QuoteManager.
If you want to chart a new instrument that you have not looked at before, you MUST first to go to your dataprovider and download ALL the expired contracts into your computer.
When you create a chart, MultiCharts will go to your computer to retrieve the needed data, and then create the continuous chart for you with your data. (For further detail, please see Wiki.)

I hope this explains what you need to do.

Mark Brown

Postby Mark Brown » 06 Dec 2020

TJ

Tell us how to store the data we receive if possible so that when you open a workspace the data will come faster please.

The slowness of MC to load a chart is insane!

I would think that MC would store the previously collected data and then append the new data rather than pull the entire data series each and every time.

TJ

Postby TJ » 07 Dec 2020

TJ
Tell us how to store the data we receive if possible so that when you open a workspace the data will come faster please.
The slowness of MC to load a chart is insane!
I would think that MC would store the previously collected data and then append the new data rather than pull the entire data series each and every time.

Please see my answers in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50496

Return to “MultiCharts”