Solution for trading earning releases?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Salzburg

Solution for trading earning releases?

Postby Salzburg » 07 Jan 2021

Hi All,

I am trying to find a solution for trading earning candidates (from a universe of stocks, like for example nasdaq) on the day of the earning at the close, or open next day based on price data not the actual fundamental data...for equities from Portfolio trader. (not interested in results from the earnings).
I am struggling a bit to find a good solution that does not require any manual work.

Both for being able to backtest any potential strategies, and, also also to be able to execute it..

Any ideas of how a good solution could look like ?

Thanks

bomberone1

Re: Solution for trading earning releases?

Postby bomberone1 » 21 Jan 2021

Do you try to add all stocks of NQ in the screen and apply the indicator of earning release or news?

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 21 Jan 2021

bomberone1, thanks for the reply, but what indicator for earnings release and where would it fetch the data from?
I cant figure out how one would solve this in MC..

biffhero

Postby biffhero » 23 Jan 2021

@salsburg ,

A few months ago, I was reading everything I could find with respect to MC and EL and all this amazing game.

I came across this thread with 132 posts in it : viewtopic.php?t=9951 I believe the key terms here are "Economic Events Collection for MultiCharts" The solution there was an external tool that scrapes a third party website, and creates a file that MC can use. I think it's an interesting idea.

Also, while searching for this just now, I found this: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/public/m ... es/MC-1597

Have fun,
Rob

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 24 Jan 2021

@biffhero
Thank you for your reply with links, appreciate it.

It seems that its doable, datasource the easy way and precise would be from
https://www.wallstreethorizon.com/earnings-calendar
And the scraping less reliable way from WSJ website

Will look into in more depth.

Cheers

biffhero

Postby biffhero » 24 Jan 2021

@salzburg

I agree with you that a supported API is probably going to be more sustainable long term than a web scraper.

One value I found in that code that was in that earlier thread was the fact that even though it was unsupported going forward, at least now I saw a good example of how to feed data in to MC after the fact.

Maybe you could use an API-based data puller, and ideas from that code to feed it to MC.

Have fun,
Rob

bomberone1

Postby bomberone1 » 05 Feb 2021

Will you add a features request to vote it?

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 05 Feb 2021

Hi Bomberone1, i think that after much consideration i have to give up on MC for equities, it cant handle it in a good way, its just no the right tool for the job. I will continue with MC my futures trading and research. But i will move platform for equities, and trading earnings is solved at same time, it became to much having to manually map 2000 symbols to IB one by one IQ to IB... Thanks for helping though, appreciate it.

Return to “MultiCharts”