Data for delisted stocks vanishing?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Data for delisted stocks vanishing?

Postby bowlesj3 » 08 Feb 2021

Hi,

I am running MC 64 bit Version 11 release (Build 15808). I track about 90 stocks with the scanner. Because I can not do full auto trading I do manual back-testing of my system. I keep the back-test data on my MS-Access program (entry date, time, price, etc). It is programmed such that arrows get placed on the chart where entry points occur (GVs are used for this).

Every so often a stock gets delisted. So I am programming to deal with this so I can go back and see the arrows on the delisted scan work space if I wish. I just noticed that two of the delisted stocks which I have back-test records for do not have data in the quote manager any more while the most recent one does. I did not intentionally remove this data. My assumption is that MC is suppose to store this data permanently. Might anyone have any idea why this data may have vanished?

Thanks,
John

Kate MultiCharts

Re: Data for delisted stocks vanishing?

Postby Kate MultiCharts » 11 Feb 2021

Hello John,

Once the data is downloaded from the data feed server and plotted on the chart - it is stored in the cache. When you close MultiCharts, QuoteManager and Portfolio Trader, the cached data is saved to the local database and is not deleted automatically.
More info here.

In MultiCharts 12 there was implemented an option that allows to save the cached data on demand without closing down all platform processes - Flush Cached Data to Database. It can be found in the Edit tab of QuoteManager or the File tab of MultiCharts. You can update and and use it to avoid losing data in the future.

Please also note that real-time minute data is not saved to the database if the data feed provides historical minute data. So, if minute data is requested in the Scanner, the data might be incomplete despite the performed backtesting.

Data may also be lost if any of the MultiCharts processes were not closed correctly.

If the issue is constantly reproduced, please send us the following files to support@multicharts.com

• The screenshots demonstrating the issue
  • The steps to reproduce it
  • Logs via the main MultiCharts window -> Help -> Feedback.
    Please select the options:
    Attach log files…;
    Snapshot of the current MC setup;
    Open workspaces…;
    Upload collected data to help desk;
    uncheck other options and click Send.
We will do our best to figure it out as soon as possible.

bowlesj3

Re: Data for delisted stocks vanishing?

Postby bowlesj3 » 11 Feb 2021

Thanks Kate. That is useful info. I think I will never know how the data is lost. Here is my daily routine which may help others.

I scan the 90 or so stocks at night manually to find stocks that might set up the next day and create a short list in a short-list work space.

At the end of the trading day I close that work space and open the big workspace again which has the scanner with all the 90 or so stocks.

I have MS-Access send keystrokes to MultiCharts to cause a step trough of all the stocks in the scanner. This ensures all data has been loaded from IB's Trader's Work Station. Just after that is done for all 90 stocks I close MC and it writes the data to the file (adding the days data at the end if each trading day).

So these two symbols probably had at least a year of the above processing then were delisted for a while. Other stocks have had the same situation and so far have not lost data. I did replace a disk drive but I can;t see how that would have done it. Its a mystery.

Return to “MultiCharts”