Getting stock text into a different work space?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Getting stock text into a different work space?

Postby bowlesj3 » 22 Mar 2021

Hi,

I like to place text of the wave numbers on my stock charts. I typically do this in the work space that is the reduce-list of stocks I want to possibly trade for the day. This short list of stocks is created from a master list of stocks each night for the trading day. I have a separate work space for this bigger list of stocks. Might there be a way to get these text markers for a specific stock into the bigger master work space?

Thanks,
John

TJ

Re: Getting stock text into a different work space?

Postby TJ » 22 Mar 2021

Do you have a mock up?

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 23 Mar 2021

Do you have a mock up?
Not sure what you mean.

I am assuming the text for a symbol in the scanner is stored inside the database (has nothing to do with the scanner work space). So that is the reason I don't understand why the text displays when I use the workspace with the smaller scanner list of stocks but when I use the larger list of stocks scanner work space the text does not display.

It is easy to duplicate, create a scanner workspace with 1 stock in the database. Copy the workspace (not the data). While one workspace is displaying put some text on. See if it is still there with the one workspace but not the other.

bowlesj3

Maybe I have the solution. I will try it tonight.

So during the day with the smaller stock list I have IB up for trading and I am moving through the smaller list of stocks with the smaller scanner work space. That is when I add the text normally. So as I move back and forth between stocks the text is retained. So at days end I keep IB up and close the smaller workspace and open the larger work space and use MS-access to step all the charts so the historic data for all the symbols is stored in the database (when I shut down MC that is). This work space is missing the text that I added during the day. Maybe I should instead close down MC and reopen it then open the larger workspace then step the charts of all the symbols. I will try that tonight. I have a feeling it still will not work however.

bowlesj3

I just tried that experiment. Actually a whole bunch of combinations of closing just the work spaces and also combos of closing MC as well as the work space. The answer is it only retains the text data for a work space. But I am willing to bet that the actual data is still stored on the database files. So I have to assume that the data base files have stored the text data for all the work-spaces a user uses for the symbol.

Maybe storing text across work-spaces is too complex for TS-Support to program. I do it with a lot of stuff by storing the coordinates in MS-access and yes it displays it again regardless of workspace. I only would be using this in the price charts. Not RSI. Not %R. I could do this with the wave count text I suppose. I suppose I could press ctrl+alt+(a number on the keypad within MS-access) then click on the chart and have that number appear. When I left that stock to go to another or to close down MS-access it would pick up the coordinates via the GVs and store it in access as I do now. I could store 10 if them like I do now for the other text. That would be enough. The work never ends does it :-)

Return to “MultiCharts”