TS Data Issue "TS/ORCAL already in use.. closing down!"

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
EuroNoob

TS Data Issue "TS/ORCAL already in use.. closing down!"

Postby EuroNoob » 25 Jun 2021

Hi,

This is an issue I've come across again and again, and since there are a few instances of it being mentioned on the forum dating back more than ten years, I thought I'd summarise the solution, and also put the key error message into the title to make it easier to find.

I assume you have set up TS in Quote Manager/Tools/Data Sources, with the correct version of TS that you have installed (but not running) in the dropdown in the settings box (having selected TS, then "Edit")

If you are encountering issues while trying to get TS data into MultiCharts with the error "TS/ORCAL already in use.. closing down!", then do the following:

1/ search this forum for all mentions of "TS/ORCAL already in use.. closing down!" as these tips below are amalgamated from all the other previous mentions
2/ you need to run MultiCharts as an administrator starting without any other processes running, even if you're in an account on your computer with admin privileges. Make sure in Task Manager there are no TS or MC processes running, then right click/ Run as Administrator to open MultiCharts. You should notice very briefly a TS login screen appear, but then disappear behind any other windows. Tab into it (or minimise the MC window to see it), enter your login details, select Live Trading (it might work with Sim, but I've not tried it)
3/ If you still see the dreaded ORCAL message, check that you can open TS (the same version as you've selected in QM/ Tools/ Data Sources/ TS/ Edit, remember) and see data on a chart there.
4/ I found this process quite flaky; it wouldn't work, then it did... but after restarting a couple of times, once because I cycled TS as a data source on/off (requiring MC restart), then because TS updated forcing me to restart my machine... it worked fine and the error disappeared.
5/ I found it did NOT work when the TS was running.... which I think you used to need to do years ago, but don't have to now.

I then find that it works for a few weeks whether or not you're doing the full right click/ Run as Administrator start of MC... but after a while, you'll see the TS/ORCAL message again, at which point you need to follow the steps above.

Hope this helps! I found it a frustrating issue, but like all MC/ TS issues, just patiently follow the troubleshooting steps and you'll fix it.

Cheers.

Vlada MultiCharts

Re: TS Data Issue "TS/ORCAL already in use.. closing down!"

Postby Vlada MultiCharts » 27 Jul 2021

Hello,

Thank you for the post.

You can also configure MultiCharts and TS to be launched with administrative permissions every time you launch them.
To configure this, right-click on MultiCharts icon > Properties > Compatibility tab > Settings section> Run this program as an administrator.
Do the same for TS and all MultiCharts components (Quote Manager, PowerLanguage Editor, Portfolio Trader).

We also recommend launching TS first, wait till it is running up, and then launching MultiCharts each time you restart them.

EuroNoob

Re: TS Data Issue "TS/ORCAL already in use.. closing down!"

Postby EuroNoob » 28 Jul 2021

Thanks Vlada! I've found since writing my post that the issue has not returned.... but if/when it does, I'll follow your instructions.

Return to “MultiCharts”