Optimization Max Core Usage

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
jeremypatric

Optimization Max Core Usage

Postby jeremypatric » 23 Oct 2021

Hello,

I recently setup a Microsoft Azure account and am running a virtual machine that has 120 vCPU cores. For some reason when I run optimization, it is only utilizing 60 of them. I found on some old threads from years about that people had problems utilizing their max cores and there were registry edit files that you provided that helped change that. I actually used one of them that was for 72 threads, and it did indeed change it to 72 threads, but funny enough it actually slowed the genetic optimization down. Same study, same steps... everything was the same. with 60 cores it was going to finish 96 billion steps in 1 hour 20 minutes, and with 72 cores it was gonna take 1 hour 50 minutes. Not sure if the issues was that the registry edit fix was like 6-7 years old.

Anyway, I digress. My main questions are:

1) Is there a similar fix to get my 120 cores up and running, or perhaps a newer easier way?

2) Assuming there is the fix, will it for some reason run slower (which doesn't make sense) or might you have insight into why the 60 to 72 core boost worked, but was for some reason slower.

Thanks and hope this all makes sense!

*** Further Update ***

I also went into the registry Edit:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TS Support\Power Language\StudyRunner]
"NumberOfThreadsOnOptimization"=dword:00000000

and changed the value to 78 (for a 120 value) and this did make it so that it showed on the CPU slider that I had an option of 120 cores, but even when 120 was picked, it made no difference in the compute time, and also still showed that only half of the CPUs were being used in the CPU performance tab.

I have also included a screen shot. This is before the registry edit. So shows that only half CPUs being used and only 60 CPUs available on the windows slider. But again, even when I changed it to 120, it showed 120 on the slider, but still only half were being used. The only difference was that instead of the top 60 CPUs indicated in the picture were being used, this time the bottom 60 were being used.
Test Optimization for Total CPU Usage.png
(65.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet

TJ

Re: Optimization Max Core Usage

Postby TJ » 24 Oct 2021

Which worth more money? a $20 bill? or 20x$1 dollar bill?

Which one takes longer to count?

jeremypatric

Postby jeremypatric » 24 Oct 2021

Which worth more money? a $20 bill? or 20x$1 dollar bill?

Which one takes longer to count?
Hi TJ,

First of all, I just want to say thanks. There have been so many other posts that I have found your responses to be super helpful over the years, and you are probably one of the most common names that I recognize on here. So thanks for all you provide to this community! It is amazing!

In this particular case, I get the logic of what you posted above, but not really sure how it relates in this situation to what I was asking. Maybe I am missing something in what you were saying, or maybe I didn't explain something in my original post that made something unclear. But in all my time of optimization over the years---If I use 8 CPU cores and then drop the slider down to 4, it will double the time it takes to optimize. If I drop it to 2 it will double the time once again and if I drop it to 1 CPU core, it will double the time once again. So with that logic, I don't see why my asking if it is possible to get the full access of my 120 CPU cores, and not just half of them, is not a valid question.

TJ

Postby TJ » 25 Oct 2021

Virtual cores are not real money. It is like having 20-x$1 dollar bills. It takes longer to count.
The key is the real core size.

In an optimization, you want brute force, you want horsepower, real horsepower, not fake horses.
Using virtual cores will add a layer of housekeeping by the OS and the CPU.

TJ

Postby TJ » 25 Oct 2021

See post #13
[FAQ] Backtesting vs Optimization CPU Usage -- Single Core vs Multi-Core vs Hyperthread
viewtopic.php?t=10811

TJ

Postby TJ » 25 Oct 2021

Hi TJ,

First of all, I just want to say thanks. There have been so many other posts that I have found your responses to be super helpful over the years, and you are probably one of the most common names that I recognize on here. So thanks for all you provide to this community! It is amazing!
. . .
Thanks. I am glad to hear the info are useful.

Return to “MultiCharts”