Profitable week's open  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
small dog

Profitable week's open

Postby small dog » 08 Dec 2021

My coding skills are not amazing, and I am stuck at what should probably be a simple task. I am designing an intraday strategy (15 minute bars) and am trying to code the exit on the first profitably open of the week. In other words, on the first bar on Monday at 8:00 if profit position is > 0 then exit at market.

Any help would be appreciated

TJ

Re: Profitable week's open

Postby TJ » 09 Dec 2021

What if Monday is a holiday? What would you like to do?

rrams

Re: Profitable week's open

Postby rrams » 10 Dec 2021

Not only do the holidays make the solution more difficult; you also need to code print statements to show that the exits are happening the way you want them to. In other words, proving you have it correct can be just as troublesome as writing the original code.

Here is my attempt that just sells when the market re-opens that monday on a holiday or else the next day at 8am if closed all day.
Try to change it yourself if not the correct behaviour. Sorry I use a compact style. Study the print output over several years of 15min data.

Code: Select all

// sell on first trading day of the week if profitable // (not the same as sell on first profitable day of new week) input: StopAmnt$(200); vars: PD(-1), WD(0), // previous day, day of week, CM(0), MD(0); // current month, day of the month WD=DayOfWeek(D); // DayOfWeek: Saturday=6, 0=Sunday, 1=Monday MD=DayOfMonth(D); // current day of month 1-31 CM=Month(D); // current month of year 1-12 // DayOfWeek: Saturday=6, 0=Sunday, 1=Monday if D<>D[1] then PD=DayOfWeek(D[1]); // date of one bar ago // some of the holidays that are POSSIBLE on a monday if D<>D[1] and // below will only print if market open at all ((CM=7 and (MD=4 or MD=5) and WD=1) // Independence Day or (CM=1 and WD=1 and (MD=1 or MD=2)) // New Year or (CM=1 and WD=1 and MD>14 and MD<22) // Martin Luther King 3rd Mon in Jan ( 12-5pm halt for Equity ) or (CM=2 and WD=1 and MD>14 and MD<22) // President's Day 3rd Mon in Feb ( FX, Bond, Energy, Metals ) or (CM=5 and WD=1 and MD>24) // Memorial Day Last Mon in May ( Lumber, Livestock closed ) or (CM=9 and WD=1 and MD<8)) then // Labor Day 1st Mon in Sep ( no change open or close. ) print("Holiday today: ", FormatDate("ddd, M/d/y", DateTime)); // change next line to add your conditions if MarketPosition=0 then buy next bar market; // if previous day>current day or previous day=sunday // or today=monday and time is 8:00am then sell if profitable if OpenPositionProfit>0 and T>=800 and OpenEntryDate(0)<D and (PD=0 or (PD>WD and WD<>0) or WD=1) then begin sell next bar market; print(Symbol, ": Bought on ", DateToString(DateToJulian(OpenEntryDate(0))), " Sold on: ", FormatDate("ddd, M/d/y", DateTime)); end; SetStopContract; SetStopLoss(StopAmnt$);

small dog

Re: Profitable week's open  [SOLVED]

Postby small dog » 12 Dec 2021

Thanks very much for the reply and the code. This is perfect. Thanks again.

Return to “MultiCharts”