Datafeed Issues

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Thomas Mann

Datafeed Issues

Postby Thomas Mann » 11 Jul 2008

Hi All,
I am trying to determine why I am seeing a issue with my latest release on MC. This morning I decided to shut down my charts and reboot my PC as I usually do every day. All my charts were displaying data just fine. When I rebooted and re-opened my charts I now get a blank screen and am waiting on the data to reload. The time I spent rebooting was < 2 mins so in theory I should only have to reload a small amount of data yet MC is reloading all of the data. Why does it not use the data already collected ?
Thanks

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 11 Jul 2008

Hi Thomas,

MultiCharts compresses and saves the received data when you close it. If you reboot the computer without giving MC the time to save the data, everything is lost. This is why MC requests all that data again.

Regards.

Thomas Mann

Postby Thomas Mann » 11 Jul 2008

Hi marina,
I am aware if MC shuts down improperly it will have issues, but I can not get the interface to work now even after I uninstall the latest and re-install it from scratch. I starting having issues with my opentick interface after windows updated a security patch on tuesday. I suspect this is what started this problem. Please have someone verify the latest MC works with a Opentick account.
Thanks

TJ

Postby TJ » 12 Jul 2008

Hi Thomas,
MultiCharts compresses and saves the received data when you close it. If you reboot the computer without giving MC the time to save the data, everything is lost. This is why MC requests all that data again.
Regards.

Marina:

In future versions, may I suggest you to make the MC window remain on the screen until the last bit of data has been saved? (of course with a little prompter saying... "Saving data to datastore.")

this will save a lot of unexpected headache.

Thank you
TJ

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 15 Jul 2008

Hi marina,
I am aware if MC shuts down improperly it will have issues, but I can not get the interface to work now even after I uninstall the latest and re-install it from scratch. I starting having issues with my opentick interface after windows updated a security patch on tuesday. I suspect this is what started this problem. Please have someone verify the latest MC works with a Opentick account.
Thanks
Hi Thomas,

At the moment there are no known issues related to receiving OpenTick data in MultiCharts. Please contact our customer support at http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html and they will help you resolve the problem.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 15 Jul 2008

Hi Thomas,
Regards.

Marina:

In future versions, may I suggest you to make the MC window remain on the screen until the last bit of data has been saved? (of course with a little prompter saying... "Saving data to datastore.")

this will save a lot of unexpected headache.

Thank you
TJ
Hi TJ,

What we are going to do is have MultiCharts flush data into the database every N seconds/minutes. Thus, you won't have to wait until the data is saved to shut down your computer after closing MultiCharts.

Regards.

Thomas Mann

Postby Thomas Mann » 15 Jul 2008

Hi Marina,
It would be nice if the saving data every N minutes could be implemented as quick as possible. That would make it a lot easier on us who use opentick as a feed and also IB. Thanks for the replay and all the help.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 16 Jul 2008

Dear Thomas,

I consulted our engineers once again. We have decided upon a solution of the problem with saving data that is different from the one I outlined previously.

The data will be continuously saved into cache (a temporary folder) just the way it is done now. Then, on closing and opening MultiCharts, the data from cache will be compressed and sent to the database. Thus, if you power off the computer before the data is safely stored in the database, this data will be under no risk of being lost. It will be taken from cache, compressed, and moved to the database when you run MC next time.

This way is far more efficient and economical than saving and compressing the data every N minutes.

Regards.

Thomas Mann

Postby Thomas Mann » 16 Jul 2008

Thanks a bunch Marina, and tell the Engineers thanks also :)

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 22 Jul 2008

Done:-)

konstantin

Postby konstantin » 23 Jul 2008

Hi Marina!

How can we be sure that the data in the cache is stored in the database?

My cache files have 2890MB, all the files in the database folder only 129MB.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 24 Jul 2008

Konstantin,

Data in cache is saved without being compressed - to speed up access to that data. This is why it takes up so much space.

Data in the database is compressed using our proprietary mechanism that ensures a very high compression level. This is why the database takes up considerably less space. At the same time, exactly because the data is packed, it takes longer to access it.

I hope the above answers your question.

konstantin

Postby konstantin » 24 Jul 2008

OK, thanks

Return to “MultiCharts”