Hardware recommendation for 500 symbols  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
thomashck

Hardware recommendation for 500 symbols

Postby thomashck » 24 Feb 2022

Hi, trader friends and Multicharts team,

I've searched this topic but find nothing, if anyone tried 400+ auto-trade with PT please share your experience.
Anyway, I'm gonna use PT to auto-trade 400~500 symbols, what level of hardware I need? CPU? RAM? Network bandwidth?...
here is some information for you guys could give me some advise, highly appreciated.
if you need further information pls let me know.

Symbols: 400~500
bar interval: 5 min
Strategy: portfolio signal and money management signal (no intra-bar order)
data provider: IQfeed
brokers: IB
cloud service: AWS

Svetlana MultiCharts

Re: Hardware recommendation for 500 symbols  [SOLVED]

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 25 Feb 2022

Hi thomashck,

In general, multi-core CPU increases the optimization speed as this calculation can be divided into multiple flows using multi-core CPU. Multi-core CPU will not increase the backtesting speed as it is a linear calculation procedure and it cannot be divided into parts for calculation. We recommend to give preference to the machines with higher CPU frequency, than to the number of cores: e.g. 8 cores with 3600 base frequency is better than 16 cores with 2300 base frequency.

According to our experience, such number of symbols can be handled with the following setup:
Intel CPU, 6 cores, 12 threads, 3.6 GHz or higher; 32 GB RAM or higher; OS Windows 10 64 bit; multi-monitor solution.

Also we’d recommend to check with your broker if their software is able to handle this number of open positions.

Return to “MultiCharts”