Advice for new user/ testing out first strategies .

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
ScottishSpeculator

Advice for new user/ testing out first strategies .

Postby ScottishSpeculator » 07 Jan 2023

Hello guys, just joined MC. First of all, this isn't a post for me to just ask about shortcuts in learning. I am always willing to put in the effort to learn/read and try to improve my knowledge but I am new and there is never any harm in asking the experienced coders what they wish they knew when they started.

I am somewhat shocked at the lack of video material from MC out there on how to do and start learning the software. It's ok to have a massive wiki page but sometimes it's vague from what I have seen so far and videos would be 100x better to get people to a minimum level at the start. If I was running a software company on trading Id have a million videos on youtube on every topic. It's not so obvious how to create a complete strategy and apply it and jump into development.

I have played around with creating some indicators and all seems well. I have a tonne of books which provide examples of entries/exits etc. What is less common is to find good contract sizes/risk management code so any advice links on that would be great. I'd like to find a system I like and fix this parameter going forward really. risk % for example.

From a development standpoint I obviously would like to check the entries codes look like they are working the way they ought to first. Does anyone have any advice or methods for how they check each part of their code systematically? Do you work with show-me studies first Or when checking a new entry or just combine it with exits and contract size code and run as a full strategy .

Just looking for some best practices from the experience guys not looking to steal any code.

TJ

Re: Advice for new user/ testing out first strategies .

Postby TJ » 07 Jan 2023

The best way to learn coding is to examine the pre-built codes.

TJ

Postby TJ » 07 Jan 2023

You can start here:

MultiCharts FAQ
viewforum.php?f=16

[FAQ] EasyLanguage / PowerLanguage
viewtopic.php?t=6929

[FAQ] Autotrade / Backtest / Optimization
viewtopic.php?t=10811

Jupp25

Postby Jupp25 » 10 Jan 2023

I totally agree with ScottishSpeculator, it is really difficult to get all strings together in the beginning.
Even worse for sample code on risk management. Check here, also for other subjects:
https://www.multicharts.com/support/bas ... ion=search

And in addition to TJ`s referal to Backtest etc. : whatever Idea you have, before spending to much time on theoretical development, try the basic idea on demo first and check if trades really get triggered the way you want. THAT CAN BE REALLY TRICKY!!!

Greets
Chris

Return to “MultiCharts”