Pre-Processing

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
joebone

Pre-Processing

Postby joebone » 14 Feb 2023

Anyone doing preprocessing?

Hello,
I have some calculations that happen on every bar regardless of Inputs for my Signal. Other than exporting data in an indicator then importing it as a instrument. Is there any way to preprocess data to improve optimization speed?

TJ

Re: Pre-Processing

Postby TJ » 14 Feb 2023

Yes, put it in a variable. Put it in a function.

ps. If you need coding help, you need to post your codes.

joebone

Postby joebone » 15 Feb 2023

Yes, put it in a variable. Put it in a function.

ps. If you need coding help, you need to post your codes.
Hey TJ, Thanks as always.
Lets say for instance I am calculating an array of moving averages. No matter how I optimize my signal I will still calculate the next bar of the entire array. For this example lets assume the MA array is already in a function. and I am filling my Array by passing it into the function.

Code: Select all

Array: Averages_Array[100](0); Vars: Price_value(0); Price_value = C; Average_Array_Function(Price_value, Averages_Array) Inputs: Average_1(0), Average_2(0), Average_3(0), Average_4(0); Vars: Condition_1(0), Condition_2(0); Condition_1 = Averages_Array[Average_1] > Averages_Array[Average_2]; Condition_2 = Averages_Array[Average_3] > Averages_Array[Average_4]; If condition_1 then buy next bar at open; If condition_2 then sell next bar at open;
During optimization I will do an exhaustive optimization of 100 possible values for each input.

Do you have a suggestion of how to preprocess this Moving average array to speed up optimization?

TJ

Postby TJ » 15 Feb 2023

Do you have a suggestion of how to preprocess this Moving average array to speed up optimization?
Buy a faster CPU ?

joebone

Postby joebone » 15 Feb 2023

Buy a faster CPU ?
So apart from exporting the MAs then importing them as instruments there isnt a way I could pre process something that will be the exact same calculation on every version of the optimization?

ABC

Postby ABC » 16 Feb 2023

joebone,

one idea could be to compute everything once and store the results in Maps/Lists using EasyLanguage Collections. Then you can access these values during your optimization. If this really improves your performance will depend on the amount of values you need to access each bar, so I would try to minimize this as much as possible.
Additionally, you will likely have to perform these calculations and storing before your actual optimization and since the optimization will likely be spread across different CPU cores, sharing the Maps/Lists might not work and you would have to read the values in from a text file at the beginning of every optimization iteration.

Regards,

ABC

ABC

Postby ABC » 16 Feb 2023

joebone,

a more practical question would be why you compute an array with 100 averages when each strategy only uses four? Computing just the four averages you need per strategy might already show a decent speed improvement (I realize that you might only post a generic example here, so this approach might not be beneficial for your actual use case).

Regards,

ABC

joebone

Postby joebone » 16 Feb 2023

joebone,

a more practical question would be why you compute an array with 100 averages when each strategy only uses four? Computing just the four averages you need per strategy might already show a decent speed improvement (I realize that you might only post a generic example here, so this approach might not be beneficial for your actual use case).

Regards,

ABC
Yes, this was just an example. The thought came to me while I was reading about "Pre-cooking" data for image processing. I was just seeing if anyone was doing something like this here.

Another example could be a bunch of complex convolutions or a cross correlation matrix. Anything really that you would have no problem calculating on live bars trading but when doing an optimization they become cumbersome because you recalculate them every time you run an optimization and the calculation may be exactly the same each time.

You point remains valid that I should focus on reducing unnecessary calculations though.

ABC

Postby ABC » 16 Feb 2023

joebone,

a good approach might be to test this and measure the performance difference. When things become complex even reading in text files with the results can give you a speed advantage compared to performing the calculations every time.

Regards,

ABC

joebone

Postby joebone » 16 Feb 2023

joebone,

a good approach might be to test this and measure the performance difference. When things become complex even reading in text files with the results can give you a speed advantage compared to performing the calculations every time.

Regards,

ABC

Thanks for the help on thinking about this one ABC

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 17 Feb 2023

Creating A DLL might also be a possibility.

joebone

Postby joebone » 22 Feb 2023

Creating A DLL might also be a possibility.
This is something I am not familiar with.. New techniques. Thanks for the input.

Return to “MultiCharts”