New Cursor/Pointer Feature

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Gann_Man

New Cursor/Pointer Feature

Postby Gann_Man » 10 Aug 2008

Please consider adding a new Cursor/Pointer feature under the View menu.

View----->Auto Cross

If Auto Cross is turned on with a check mark and the left mouse button is pressed, a full chart crosshair will appear,
when the mouse button is released the crosshair will disappear (exactly the same as TS).

Would other MC users like to see this feature added?

Thank you for considering this request.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 14 Aug 2008

Hi Gann_Man,

Thank you for suggesting the feature. I cannot promise that it will be implemented in the upcoming version, but we will consider it for implementation.

Regards.

Gann_Man

Postby Gann_Man » 20 Jan 2009

Is this feature still being considered?
I would REALLY like to see it added.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 23 Jan 2009

Hi Gann_Man,

This request has been added to our feature request list.

I am not sure when it might be implemented.

Regards.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 23 Jan 2009

When I use MC the cross is on all the time tracking price and time on all charts at all times. It sounds like your feature allows the cross to be off at times. As an additional option that would be okay as long as nothing is lost.

The only thing I miss is loosing the cross hair when I highlight a tool I want to move. Specifically arrows which I use extensively. I loose a few seconds every single time I have to move one because it is gone and I am not totally sure I am placing it above the bar I want until I release it and go back and check it. A fairly minor problem but it adds up over time. It would be great if the arrow was centered on the cross hair automatically when it is being moved.

Gann_Man

Postby Gann_Man » 29 Jan 2009

Hi Gann_Man,

Regards.
Thank you in advance for implementing this feature :D

Gann_Man

Postby Gann_Man » 20 Feb 2009

Hi Gann_Man,

Regards.
Will this feature be added in the Gold Release?

Gann_Man

Postby Gann_Man » 23 Jul 2009

It's been close to a year for this feature request. Will it be implemented soon?
Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:26 am

View----->Auto Cross

If Auto Cross is turned on with a check mark and the left mouse button is pressed, a full chart crosshair will appear,
when the mouse button is released the crosshair will disappear (exactly the same as TS).

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:49 am

Hi Gann_Man,

Regards.
Marina Pashkova

bowlesj3

CrossHair staying on while moving an existing arrow + 1 more

Postby bowlesj3 » 16 Oct 2009

I requested this before It would be even more useful now since I am needing a lineup with subchart 2 as well.

The only thing I miss is loosing the cross hair when I highlight a tool I want to move. Specifically arrows which I use extensively. I loose a few seconds every single time I have to move one because the cross hair is gone and I am not totally sure I am placing it above the bar I want until I release it and go back and check it. It would be great if the arrow was centered on the cross hair automatically when it is being moved.

I am thinking now that if arrows can be stored on the custom tool bar already set to specific colors then the code could determine which type of arrow the user has put on the chart manually by detecting the color. So the user could assign different arrows for different functions and thus they do not have to worry about trying to hard assign the arrow numbers. At present I drop arrows to provide bar value and time for probably 5 different studies. It gets tricky but being able to drop 5 pairs of arrows on a tool bar of different colours would completely solve this problem coding wise.

Thanks John.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 17 Oct 2009

John Bowles said:
The only thing I miss is loosing the cross hair when I highlight a tool I want to move.
+1

I do the same thing with trendlines (and arrows too) that I want to line up with stuff (like volume) in subcharts. Since I trade intraday, I don't have a lot of time to mess around placing, checking and then moving something once or twice to get it to line up.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 02 Nov 2009

Something of low priority to correct. Up arrows center perfectly on the bar but down arrows are shifted a bit. I guess it is obvious I do this a lot. It often makes me go back and double check to ensure I have the arrow positioned correctly.

Gann_Man

Postby Gann_Man » 25 Dec 2009

My Christmas wish: I am willing to pay cash to have this feature added.
Please send me a price quote of what the cost would be if you are willing to add this feature for me.
Thank you and Merry Christmas to ALL!
Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:26 am

View----->Auto Cross

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:49 am

Hi Gann_Man,

Regards.
Marina Pashkova

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 27 Dec 2009

I think it is an okay feature as long as the ability to have a full chart cross hair on all the time (also with price and time tracking on all the time) is not lost. When I want to clear the charts of the price portion of the cross hair I move the cross hair down into the subchart #2. To clear it completely just put it in the price scale. I guess it is whatever you get use to. I seem to be able to shut off distractions and focus on what I am interested in very easily but when I am trying to do something and the tool needed is not there fast I get annoyed. For me to have it off and only be able to get it back with a mouse click would be really annoying. However having it vanish when an arrow is being moved is something those who want to accurately place arrows (to capture price and time info etc) will never get use to.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 27 Dec 2009

Gann_Man wrote:
Please send me a price quote of what the cost would be if you are willing to add this feature for me.
+1
Please send Gann_Man a quote. :)

Gann_Man

Postby Gann_Man » 23 May 2010

Gann_Man wrote:
+1
Please send Gann_Man a quote. :)
Never received a price quote :(

I REALLY miss this TS feature!

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 24 May 2010

So is this the summary that would make everyone happy? Extra happy if done in MC 6.0! :D

Cross Hair options:
Option1 :Cross hair off all the time.
Option2: Cross hair on all the time (my option and maybe Bob's)
Option3: Cross hair on if left mouse button is held down (Gann-Man)

For us discretionary traders who need as much speed as we can get, if Option #2 or option #3 is selected then when moving arrows / trend lines the cross hair should stay on both when adding a new arrow or moving an exisitng arrow (same with trend lines too when adjusting the anchor points). Better yet it should force the item which is highlighted to center exactly on the cross hair. Again speed is important for the discretionary crowd.

Regarding the arrows not being centered generally, as stated before, the arrows pointing down are not centered on the bar properly where as the arrows pointing up appear to be correct in this regard. I have a study that changes the style of arrow under certain criteria to a much wider larger arrow head. This one is way off visually and I am for ever zooming to be sure I have the correct bar marked. Again, this bar data is fed into my system so it is important. Summary of issues below:

Issue #1: down arrows not centered over the bar.
Issue #2: cross hair disapears when moving arrows/trend lines.
Issue #3: arrow (TL anchor) should be forced to center when highlighted.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 24 May 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 24 May 2010

Never received a price quote

I REALLY miss this TS feature!
Dear Gann_Man,

Please contact Stan Bokov over the telephone +1-614-569-0345 to discuss the possibility of implementing this feature at additional price.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 24 May 2010

Regarding this issue I mentioned above. One down arrow I use regularly is on the right side of the bar a slight bit and when the program changes the same arrow to the other style it is on the other side of the bar. I didn't realize this until just now. That makes the problem worse. I double checked the up arrow again and they are both dead on. You can see this more clearly when you zoom right in close.

geizer

Postby geizer » 25 May 2010

So is this the summary that would make everyone happy? Extra happy if done in MC 6.0! :D

Cross Hair options:
Option1 :Cross hair off all the time.
Option2: Cross hair on all the time (my option and maybe Bob's)
Option3: Cross hair on if left mouse button is held down (Gann-Man)
Option 3 promises improved productivity.

+ 1 vote for Extra Happy MultiCharts clients!

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 25 May 2010

Quote:

Regarding this issue I mentioned above. One down arrow I use regularly is on the right side of the bar a slight bit and when the program changes the same arrow to the other style it is on the other side of the bar. I didn't realize this until just now. That makes the problem worse. I double checked the up arrow again and they are both dead on. You can see this more clearly when you zoom right in close.
    Dear bowlesj3,

Could you please send us the screenshot of the problem so we can analyze it?

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 25 May 2010

Option 3 promises improved productivity.
    Having 3 options for sure improves productivity because everyone gets into certain habits that suit what they do. In other words the sum productivity of all users added together.

For me and most likely many others I am constantly comparing waves, bounces reference points for failure trading, etc across charts (maybe 100s of times a day most likely) so the cursor has to be on all the time with both time and price tracking on all charts (having to force it on with a left mouse button hold would be a pain in the butt). So I would select the current option which is #2. MC would have to be replaced with another product if it was gone (literally). So my main point is TSS is really wise to be adding features as options for specific user tayloring such that current functionality is not lost or they will find users with be rolling back to older versions (or other products) more often than they realize will happen. It would be like my decision for instant rollback when I found the MC version Arw_GetActive logic was lost in beta 3. With that one error they made MC's value from me go from an almost perfect program to being basically unusuable. Loosing constant on cursor tracking would be even worse.

In short, if all they do is copy TS why would anyone bother to come over to MC. They have to make it so people find it easy to come over and have options they can discover when they get here which make it a better experience such that they never want to go back. In short make absolutely sure they keep all existing functionality while copying TS at the same time (using options with TS defaults maybe).

That way everyone is happy.

I do this constantly with my database program. I have a form which is hidden and always open that has all the options. It is pretty big. Many features I put in is an option because I may decide later I do not want to use it then change my mind the other way if I get a related idea to make it work better later. So it is not just the existing users they need to think about but the fact that users change too. Some traders have never heard the term "failure trading". That concept opens up a whole new set of ideas for them once they understand it. As another example, I use to use trend lines (thought they were great). I now have much better methods. Traders are always growing. The more options MC has the better (better if shutting off options reduces memory use / resources use too).

MechTrader

Re: New Cursor/Pointer Feature

Postby MechTrader » 21 Apr 2011

I would REALLY like to see an option to have the tracking cursor only move when I click on the chart and to stay on the same time until I click elsewhere. The fact that it moves all the time makes it very hard for me to correlate simultaneous indicators and prices between multiple windows, especially since I like to read the values of indicators and prices by the click-and-hold data tips (popups) rather than the data window that stays open (I don't have enough screen real-estate otherwise).

I would be willing to pay to have this feature implemented. As it is now, I had to make a DLL that filters my mouse signals to only tell MC my mouse moved when I click.

I also find clicking to get the data tip window difficult because the indicator is selected far too easily (it has a wide margin of space you can click in to select it). I recommend requiring a right click or drag in order to select the indicator, since the left click prevents one from easily getting the data tip window. Again, I had to make a mouse filter for this problem as well, which works, but it would be nice to have the feature natively corrected because filtering leads to a few minor nuisances, such as having to turn the filter off to resize subchart windows.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 21 Apr 2011

Hi everyone,

I see that this thread goes a way back. Since it was started we have implemented The Project Management system - make sure all of your feature requests are added there so that they are not buried in the forum.

MechTrader - please first add the Feature Request to the PM with as many details as you can (possibly screenshots of what you want to see). If you want to commission a custom project to speed up the process, please email me at sbokov@multicharts.com after you have added the feature (pls include the feature number) and we can discuss this further.

Gann_Man

Postby Gann_Man » 21 Apr 2011

I first started this thread back on August 10, 2008.
    I simply wanted an option added to MultiCharts so that the crosshair behaved the same as in TS (if desired).
    I did not ask to CHANGE the current crosshair operation, I just wanted to ADD 1 additional crosshair pointer option.
    I have been using TS since 1992 and REALLY miss the default TS crosshair operation in MultiCharts.

Please consider ADDING a new Cursor/Pointer feature under the View menu.

View----->Auto Cross

If Auto Cross is turned on with a check mark and the left mouse button is pressed, a "full-chart" crosshair will appear,

The "full-chart" crosshair will move when the mouse is moved with the left mouse button pressed.
    The "full-chart" crosshair will disappear when the left mouse button is released.

FYI, in May 2010 I requested and received a price quote from MultiCharts to add this feature for $3,000.
    However, not willing to pay the $3,000 to have it added.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 21 Apr 2011

Please consider ADDING a new Cursor/Pointer feature under the View menu.
    Again, +1

I, also, liked that option in TS.

Return to “MultiCharts”