"Bid & Ask" modification help needed

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
TJ

"Bid & Ask" modification help needed

Postby TJ » 13 Sep 2008

Below is the code from the indicator "Bid & Ask".

How can I erase the old plot after the bar is completed and a new bar is formed?

I tried noplot[1] but it does not work.

Code: Select all

variables:
var0( 0 ),
var1( 0 ) ;

if GetAppInfo( aiRealTimeCalc ) = 1 then
begin
var0 = InsideBid ;
var1 = InsideAsk ;
Plot1( var0, "Bid" ) ;
Plot2( var1, "Ask" ) ;
end ;
Last edited by TJ on 15 Sep 2008, edited 1 time in total.

TJ

Postby TJ » 14 Sep 2008

p.s. not related to the question above... I just wish MC would extend the "Bid" & "Ask" keywords to cover 5 levels of DOM.

ABC

Postby ABC » 15 Sep 2008

TJ I second your request, this would be extremely useful.
I would like to see reserved words for the following:

Bid/Ask prices and corresponding volume for the next X ticks (depending on the book size). As far as I know the data providers send if a trade was at the Bid or Ask, so it should be possible to get reserved words for this as well - so last bid size and last ask size would help tremendously. The way you can get it now by using InsideBid/InsideAsk is just not consistent and only based on assumptions.
On top of that Multicharts should store those values in it's database (including the book), so you can get the history, in case you stored it during realtime use.
I truely think that would be a really valuable thing and that I am not the only one looking forward to this. That should really boost the user numbers of MC, I can guarantee.

Best regards,

ABC

itai007

ABC is so right!!

Postby itai007 » 15 Sep 2008

TJ I second your request, this would be extremely useful.
I would like to see reserved words for the following:

Bid/Ask prices and corresponding volume for the next X ticks (depending on the book size). As far as I know the data providers send if a trade was at the Bid or Ask, so it should be possible to get reserved words for this as well - so last bid size and last ask size would help tremendously. The way you can get it now by using InsideBid/InsideAsk is just not consistent and only based on assumptions.
On top of that Multicharts should store those values in it's database (including the book), so you can get the history, in case you stored it during realtime use.
I truely think that would be a really valuable thing and that I am not the only one looking forward to this. That should really boost the user numbers of MC, I can guarantee.

Best regards,

ABC
this should be in MC to better use book info and analysis. Ofcourse history is trivial ... I cant understand why would MC not have this all ready ?

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 15 Sep 2008

Hi TJ,

You might want to check out this bunch of posts concerning bid/ask:
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?p=20206#20176
as I think John Bowles is the new master of this type of code writing.
I don't think you can turn off prior plots that have actually printed on the chart, although it is possible to turn off old trendlines (I think). Sorry I am not too much help, but I have wondered this same thing and have wandered down this road before and from my years of experience, I think the charts would flicker like crazy if they constantly were changing old indicator values.

Also, about volume in EL. Your idea is WAY overdue. Check this out:
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?p=20910#20910

and then my big Rant here:
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?p=16835#16835

I like to bump it every chance I get. But at the rate of development and the emphasis on back testing and portfolios (which is excellent compared to TS, BTW) I don't think us intraday traders will get very much for probably a year, from TSS. I am very satisfied by NT right now and use whitmarkdevelopment.com to re-write indicators I have developed in MC so that I can trade right off the charts of NT. They are able to access the 5 bid and 5 ask levels and have a very nice ACV indicator that measures the ratio of total bids to total asks. For an example (from my friend in Seattle, Bill Shepard) see:
http://www.vstraderllc.com/vsttriplewav ... derllc.htm

I absolutely love MC for dev work and will continue to use it because I code with EL/Powerlanguage. But I am a trader and need the tools that work and say why "fight the trend?" I don't want to jump from AB to neoticker to something else then something else... NT solves some problems right now for me and MC is heading in that direction slowly. I really like the attitude of both organizations toward user friendly development, unlike another Florida based company that has totally abandoned improving their software platform and continually ignores their established old customer base.

Plus, I kinda have a crush on Marina. :shock:

Hope that helps,
Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA

TJ

Postby TJ » 15 Sep 2008

Last edited by TJ on 22 Sep 2008, edited 1 time in total.

ABC

Re: "Bid & Ask" modification help needed

Postby ABC » 15 Sep 2008

Below is the code from the indicator "Bid & Ask".

How can I erase the old plot after the bar is completed and a new bar is formed?

I tried noplot[1] but it does not work.

Code: Select all

variables:
var0( 0 ),
var1( 0 ) ;

if GetAppInfo( aiRealTimeCalc ) = 1 then
begin
var0 = InsideBid ;
var1 = InsideAsk ;
Plot1( var0, "Bid" ) ;
Plot2( var1, "Ask" ) ;
end ;
TJ,
not knowing what exactly you need, but you could try Text or Trendlines to do that instead of plots. This way you can just move the text/trendline to the most recent bar.

ABC

Return to “MultiCharts”