problem opening a saved workspace

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Kaos

problem opening a saved workspace

Postby Kaos » 02 Oct 2008

I create a chart using metastock EOD data - resolution 1 Month
It's Dow Jones Index and I format the symbol to only show the date range from 02-Oct-1927 to 02-Oct-1952

I save and close the workspace as paul.wsp

I reopen the workspace and the end year changes from 1952 to 2008

I have tried multiple symbols and different resolutions and all do the same thing

Can anyone else confirm this issue?

fs

Postby fs » 03 Oct 2008

Unfortunately, this is just the way it works. MC never saves the "To date" and plot all the data available from your starting point. I still think this is a design flaw as there are many reasons why one would not want to plot al the available data from your starting point. The issue was raised before, but TS Support has decided to leave it as is and not implement it the way TS does it.

See post: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=5263

Kaos

Postby Kaos » 03 Oct 2008

Maybe a suggestion would be to have a radio button on the format symbol page that allows the user to....

(*) use last data date or () use specified "To" date

I think MC has some better features than TS but.... I know of 2 other programs that give users this option

fs

Postby fs » 03 Oct 2008

I also think this should be a basic feature for any program which allow backtesting. This is very common to do backtesting on data which do not include all the available history. Currently if you have your backtest workspaces setup, you have to manually reset the data every time you opened it which can be a very cumbersome process if you have many charts open. This drastically reduce the usability of backtesting in MC as it is becoming just too cumbersome. Unfortunately, TS Support think this is acceptable.

I don't think a radio button should be even needed if they would just implement it like TS does. If you set the to date to the current date, TS assumes you always want to display the data to the current date. If you set the To date to earlier than the current date, then TS keep that date for your chart.

Kaos

Postby Kaos » 04 Oct 2008

Well I like radio buttons or drop down boxes when I program my own utilities :-)

I see where TSsupport is coming from and I like most of my charts to default to the last date.... but I'm currently comparing today's fun times with the 1930s and so I like to have my last date saved near that time for that particular workspace.

------------------------------------

It's nothing major but if they would program in the option - that would be cool

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 10 Oct 2008

Hi guys,

We'll add the ability not to have charts start with the current date by default in one of the upcoming MC versions. I can't tell you now exactly in what version it will be implemented, but we are going to do that.

Regards.

MechTrader

Still not implemented

Postby MechTrader » 24 Dec 2009

I notice that as of version 6.0 this is still an issue. Any idea of when this may be done? I know you guys are busy, but this is a very simple change.

Return to “MultiCharts”