Why does MC 5/2 load so slow?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
vienna

Why does MC 5/2 load so slow?

Postby vienna » 24 Jan 2009

Starting up MC takes different amounts of time... sometimes it goes quick, sometimes it takes several minutes...why??

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 25 Jan 2009

Yeah,

I, too, noticed that 5.2 version load / backfilling times are 1 - 20 times longer than 5.1 version.

jek

Postby jek » 25 Jan 2009

Could it be that debug log files are being created?

Search the forum for the instructions to turn it off and then try again.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 26 Jan 2009

Hi guys,

I am not sure you are all talking about the same thing.

Are you talking about the situation where you have MC logo on your screen and it takes a while till the program's main window is shown?

Or are you talking about charts taking a long time to backfill when you bring up your workspaces? In case of long chart backfilling time: what data provider are you using? What resolution and how many bars (what period) are you requesting?

Thank you in advance for the info.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 26 Jan 2009

Hi guys,

Or are you talking about charts taking a long time to backfill when you bring up your workspaces? In case of long chart backfilling time: what data provider are you using? What resolution and how many bars (what period) are you requesting?

Yes, backfilling. Transact. Any resolution: 1 minute, 10 minutes, 1000 contracts, etc. Max 7 days.

vienna

Postby vienna » 28 Jan 2009

Hi guys,

Are you talking about the situation where you have MC logo on your screen and it takes a while till the program's main window is shown?

No, I am talking about seeing the MC Logo on the screen and then it takes minutes until the program's main window is shown. It happens often, is irregular... sometimes it goes faster, sometimes it takes more than a minute or two...

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 28 Jan 2009

Hi guys,

No, I am talking about seeing the MC Logo on the screen and then it takes minutes until the program's main window is shown. It happens often, is irregular... sometimes it goes faster, sometimes it takes more than a minute or two...
The delay you are talking about occurs because of the slow connection to your database. It depends on the size of your database and only happens on the first start of the program.

This behavior will be corrected in future MC versions. At this point, thoug, I don't have an ETA.

vienna

I just timed it....2 1/2 Minutes!

The strange thing is that sometimes MC starts up in 10 seconds. Then, if I shut it down and then start it up again, it can take Minutes....???

vienna

The delay you are talking about occurs because of the slow connection to your database. It depends on the size of your database and only happens on the first start of the program.
No, actually when it first starts it can go in second. If I shut down and start again it can take forever

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 30 Jan 2009

Hi vienna,

Did you start MC the second time after all of its processes have been terminated in Task Manager (MutliCharts.exe, MessageCenter.exe, QuoteManager.exe, tsServer.exe, PLEditor.exe, StudyServer.exe, TradingServer.exe)?

drwar

Postby drwar » 30 Jan 2009

[quote]Hi vienna,

Did you start MC the second time after all of its processes have been terminated in Task Manager (MutliCharts.exe, MessageCenter.exe, QuoteManager.exe, tsServer.exe, PLEditor.exe, StudyServer.exe, TradingServer.exe)?[/quote]

Marina
Just to re-inforce what vienna is saying. I see exactly the same thing after shutdowns and re-starts. I seems like it has something to do with how much data was collected because if you just immediately close and wait for all process then start it will start right up. But when you collect data, shut down wait for processes to close and re-open it takes a long long time.

J~

vienna

Postby vienna » 31 Jan 2009

Hi vienna,

Did you start MC the second time after all of its processes have been terminated in Task Manager (MutliCharts.exe, MessageCenter.exe, QuoteManager.exe, tsServer.exe, PLEditor.exe, StudyServer.exe, TradingServer.exe)?
Yes I did. Sometimes it takes half an hour for all these to shut down.
When I first start MC in the morning, it takes a few seconds.
After I download some data, and I have shut it down and waited for all the other stuff to close, it can take forever. And sometimes, it just hangs and never starts up.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 31 Jan 2009

After I download some data, and I have shut it down and waited for all the other stuff to close, it can take forever. And sometimes, it just hangs and never starts up.
Hi, how many symbols / charts do you have in your MC?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 02 Feb 2009

Hi vienna,

Hi Vienna,

What is the size of your database? How many symbols in your database? What do you request before you close and restart MultiCharts again? How many symbols do you request data for? What is the resolution? What is the period over which you request data?

Thank you.

Return to “MultiCharts”