Auto trading with Interactive Brokers and MC

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
newdesigner

Auto trading with Interactive Brokers and MC

Postby newdesigner » 11 Feb 2009

How to set Auto trading with Interactive Brokers and MC?

Where do I enter my account number under Settings?

Also, I get this Error message
MESSAGE; INTERACTIVE BROKERS
ERROR VALIDATING REQUEST "cb" ; CAUSE - THE ACCOUNT CODE IS REQUIRED FOR THIS OPERATION.

This happens when setting Automated Trading on the upper left corner of chart.

Thanks

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 11 Feb 2009

Hi newdesigner,

Do you by any chance use some specific type of account such as a non-clearing account?

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 11 Feb 2009

You don't need to enter your account code. MC will automate using the active TWS on the PC. There must be some other problem. Can you can trade this symbol using TWS? If you are are using a data vendor other than IB, look up Symbol Dictionary in Help.

Marina Pashkova

Re: Auto trading with Interactive Brokers and MC

Postby Marina Pashkova » 12 Feb 2009

How to set Auto trading with Interactive Brokers and MC?

Where do I enter my account number under Settings?

Also, I get this Error message
MESSAGE; INTERACTIVE BROKERS
ERROR VALIDATING REQUEST "cb" ; CAUSE - THE ACCOUNT CODE IS REQUIRED FOR THIS OPERATION.

This happens when setting Automated Trading on the upper left corner of chart.

Thanks
Hi newdesigner,

Do you by any chance use some specific type of account such as a non-clearing account?

newdesigner

Postby newdesigner » 13 Feb 2009

I need to set the Advisor settings in IB. How do you do that?
Thanks

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 13 Feb 2009

Hi newdesigner,

To set up the advisor settings, please go to Strategy Properties -> Auto Trading ->Select Broker Plug-in -> InteractiveBrokers -> Settings -> Financial Advisor Settings.

If you do not know what to enter in any of the financial advisor settings fields, please either check them in TWS or contact IB. If, with all the settings in place, you still cannot submit orders to IB from MC, please contact our customer support for a remote connection session.

Regards.

pablo gonzalez vidal

Postby pablo gonzalez vidal » 03 Sep 2009

Hello,

I have the same trouble.

The error "the account code is required for this operation" appears when I turn on autotrading the advisor account.

Does the autotrading work fine in advisor accounts or doesn't?

indsvote

Postby indsvote » 03 Sep 2009

I have the same problem and it is only happening if you have a Financial Advisor account. MC and IB kept sending me back and forth so I opened an individual account instead (you can not get a paper trading account on any of your Financial Advisor Client accounts) - then it works fine.

My plan was to start testing the Financial Advisor Account functionality more systematic, but I have not had time yet. I assume there is a bug somewhere, but I think MC should start by presenting a more detailed setup on how the Financial Advisor settings in MC is supposed to correspond to different possible setups in TWS. I have tried several without any luck.

I also tried running the automation in spite of the error message (v5.5 I think it was). MC issued orders, but it ended with crashing applications/freeze so I found that did not work either.

pablo gonzalez vidal

Postby pablo gonzalez vidal » 04 Sep 2009

Thanks indsvote for your response,

You have described exactly my situation. I think it is a MC problem because of with other program software it works fine.

But like you said, MC send me to IB and IB to MC. If MC doesn't recognise the problem is difficult it fixes it.

I was confident and now I have ten accounts opened I can't manage. Therefore I have to close the clients accounts and migrate to TS (always Ts).

It's a pity because MC with individual accounts works great but....

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 11 Sep 2009

Dear Sirs,
The error "the account code is required for this operation" appears when I turn on autotrading the advisor account.
Does the autotrading work fine in advisor accounts or doesn't?
MultiCharts works fine with IB Advisor accounts.

In case you receive the abovementioned message you just need to set up account settings in Strategy Properties > Auto Trading > Select Broker Plug-in > InteractiveBrokers > Settings > Financial Advisor Settings.

In case you do not know what to enter in any of the financial advisor settings fields, please either check them in TWS or contact IB.
If, with all the settings in place, you still cannot submit orders to IB from MC, please contact our customer support for a remote connection session.

pablo gonzalez vidal

Postby pablo gonzalez vidal » 16 Sep 2009

I'm sorry but MC doesn't work fine with advisor accounts. I talked with IB and they answered me:

"Depending on mutli-charts integrates with TWS, it may have issues with the Advisor Account platform since it is setup on an aggregated structure, designed to allocate trades to client sub accounts."

The setup is right but the mistake continued happening. I contacted MC remote support but they didn't know how to solve it.

Emmanuel

Postby Emmanuel » 17 Sep 2009

Hi,

I need to use this feature as well . How can we fix it ?

Emmanuel

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 18 Sep 2009

Dear Sirs,

Many our users asked us to add the Advisor account support in MC and we added it. We developed it according to IB API and we have several dozens clients who have advisor accounts up and running. So I can confirm MC works with IB advisor accounts normally.

Probably some of you have some specific settings in your accounts which MC doesn't handle.

So I'd like to invite those of you who still have problems with advisors accounts to our HelpDesk. We'd like get in touch with IB and you and solve your issues if any.

Emmanuel

Postby Emmanuel » 20 Sep 2009

Hi :)

Thank you very much Andrews for your confirmation.

With you confirmation that it is working on other computer ,

it means that we have to review our configuration. :wink:

Thank you Andrews.

Emmanuel

pablo gonzalez vidal

Postby pablo gonzalez vidal » 20 Sep 2009

if you succeed, tell us as
:wink:

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 01 Oct 2009

Emmanuel,
it means that we have to review our configuration. :wink:
Did you managed to get it working? Let me know. If not - come to our HelpDesk please.

pablo gonzalez vidal

Postby pablo gonzalez vidal » 09 Oct 2009

Please, if somebody works fine with IB advisor accounts through MC, could tell as he does!

Thanks

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 16 Oct 2009

Dear Sirs,

You could come to our HelpDesk to get advisor accounts set properly.

LTG

Postby LTG » 10 Nov 2009

Has anyone been able to get the advisor account settings working with automated trading? If so, can someone paste a solution?

I went to the helpdesk but that's a dead end.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 13 Nov 2009

Dear customers,

We've improved IB Advisor account handling in MultiCharts. The program can handle different scenarios now.

It will be available in MultiCharts 6 beta. If you want to use it with MultiCharts 5.5 please use the attached DLL.
Attachments
fasettings.png
(11.63 KiB) Downloaded 1860 times
twstradingplugin.dll
(502.5 KiB) Downloaded 358 times

pivot

Postby pivot » 17 Dec 2009

I see the cosmetic change to this setup and now I am coming to terms with the fact that my stop loss orders and target orders are not being placed with this new configuration. Why is that? previously I had the FA account working perfectly now with these changes I am left to figure out why stops and target orders are not placed. TS help on this would be appreciated. :cry:

PS it worked perfectly before!

Happy to have posted a solution to this forum as I am a new MC user but now I have to go back to the drawing boards to figure it out!

Return to “MultiCharts”