VOTE FOR MC FEATURES TO BE IMPLEMENTED

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.

What features would you like to see implemented in the next few versions of MultiCharts?

Data Playback: convenient and flexible tool for playing data right from the MultiCharts toolbar.
15%
Futures Rollover: a feature making it possible to merge individual future contracts and create a back-adjusted continuous contract.
17%
Spreads: ability to create spreads according to your criteria and then apply indicators and strategies to the resulting data series.
3%
Data Filter: automatically filters historical and real-time data according to user-specified rules.
2%
Look-Inside-Bar: referencing finer resolutions for a more precise backtesting.
21%
Order/Position Tracking Center: tracks orders and positions from MultiCharts.
18%
Reload: reload that will allow specifying how far back into the past you want to reload data.
8%
Data window: shows data and indicator values in a table. The window can be snapped.
2%
Popular chart types: Kagi, Point&Figure, Renko and others.
9%
Trading Technologies: Trading Technologies as a broker and data adapter.
5%

Total votes: 132

Marina Pashkova

VOTE FOR MC FEATURES TO BE IMPLEMENTED

Postby Marina Pashkova » 18 Feb 2009

Dear MultiCharts users,

Highly valuing feedback from our users, we are once again launching a poll to find out which features are most wanted by our customers. This poll will help to determine what features will be implemented in MultiCharts versions to follow Gold Release.

If you want to take part in shaping your trading software, vote for a feature/features that you would like to see in MultiCharts.

Thank you.

P.S. Walk-forward optimization is now in the development stage and therefore is not listed among the polling items.

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 18 Feb 2009

"Walk-forward optimization is now in the development stage and therefore is not listed among the polling items."

That's great Marina !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Feb 2009

what ?!?! you can only choose one ?

this is my wish...
Data Playback: convenient and flexible tool for playing data right from the MultiCharts toolbar.

this is the most useful tool for newbies.
but I afraid I might not need it by the time it arrives.
(for one of two reasons... LOL)

Futures Rollover would be nice. But I don't do that much backtest anymore.
besides, for backtest purposes, I can get continuous data from other source, so this is not important to me at all.

I want to have Look-Inside-Bar as well. But I am not going to waste my vote on it.
Because I know MC will have Look-Inside-Bar. In the face of competition, there is no way MC can skip it.

Spreads, Popular chart types: Kagi, Point&Figure, Renko and others is a waste of time, because you can achieve the same thing with indicators.

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 18 Feb 2009

I wish we could have voted for our 3 favorites.
Several are great ideas.

miltonc4

Postby miltonc4 » 18 Feb 2009

Hi TJ
Noticed your comment that Renko can be acheived in an indicator
Do you have such a beast that could be shared
Thanks
Milton

TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Feb 2009

Hi TJ
Noticed your comment that Renko can be acheived in an indicator
Do you have such a beast that could be shared
Thanks
Milton
there you go...
http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthrea ... did=146049
second post., #6 on the list.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 19 Feb 2009

1) Order Position tracking centre
2) Look-Inside bar resolution
3) Data playback
4) Futures Rollover
5) Spreads popular charts
6) Reload
7) Data Window
8) Trading Technologies

Instead of one selectin, ranking would have been much better way. Wish list items are essential for any good charting package.

miltonc4

Postby miltonc4 » 19 Feb 2009

TJ
Thanks for the link
Regards
Milton

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 19 Feb 2009

Order position tracking centre should have been introduced at the outset of MC's automatic trading facility.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 19 Feb 2009

1. Futures rollover

2. Displaying Open Interest in the status bar (just like in Ensign)

3. Avail Easylanguage Time&Sales in MC

4. Fully functional 64-bit MC version which will allow for a proper plotting and backtesting of volume bars – at the moment MC does not display (under certain circumstances) volume, which was evidenced with screenshots in this thread http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=5983&start=0

5. Getting rid of point original (it is not calculated and displayed properly), thus making the programme lighter

6. Backtesting / optimization based (optionally) on Cuda and Stream technology (using graphics cards for computation purposes) – recently it was made possible to speed up backtesting in AB by 200+ times

7. Built-in DOM, integrated with brokers (supporting multiple account trading) like in this trading software http://www.buttontrader.com/index.asp

8. Supporting a muti-monitor setup (1. at least a process of price bars calculating and charting should be using multiple cores, 2. when one runs multiple instances of MC e.g. four instances and applies studies / trendlines to instances number 2, 3 and 4, these studies are not saved after closing)

9. Allowing for unusual fractional scales in bonds and grains – a number of MC users have been asking for it for many years (I personally do not use it) – make them happy

10. Allow for futures contract backtesting and optimization (MC thinks there is not enough cash to reverse a position)

11. Setting sessions through MC - Format Symbols. At the moment one can only set sessions in QM and the only selection available via MC - Format Symbols is Regular / 24h.

I would like to set Sun 00:00:00 - Sat 23:59:59 (all 7 days 24h or 24/7 in QM) and then manipulate via MC - Format Symbol to arrive at what days and hours each chart for a given symbol should have. E.g. one chart of ES would be 24 hours 6 days, the other chart of ES would be 16 hours 5 days and the third chart of ES would be set to regular hours 5 days.

12. Extended Trend Line as a separate drowing tool. At the moment in order to have an extended trend line one has to righ-click the trend line then has to click Format Trendline and the tick right or left. Having ''Extended Trend Line'' would save on clicking.

13. Show Session Breaks should have an option to extend down to subcharts.

If this is done, I don’t mind paying $3,000 for my MultiCharts.

Regards
Last edited by Tresor on 05 Apr 2009, edited 4 times in total.

geizer

Postby geizer » 19 Feb 2009

1. Fix all the bugs reported previously
2. Fix the pacing violation issue resulting in MC losing connection with IB TWS during market hours.
3. Make sure #2 is fixed.
4. Reducing key strokes to accomplish a task would create a value to users. For example work with drawings such as trendlines etc. can be significantly speeded up if trendline anchors automatically showed up when mouse cursor rolls over the trendline. The trick will be is to fine-tune the time delay before "drawing object edit mode" activates . This would be a real improvement. If TSS releases a "performance upgrade that includes all the features related to improved visibility, keystrokes reductions, quick handling of drawing objects, hot keys, and other small touch-ups that by itself would be well worth the cost of an upgrade.

5. Create Special section on the forum called FAQ, with answers to common questions list of known issues/limitations so users are aware before they choose particular data provider and get in trouble when trading. This is as important as adding new features, as will improve user's experience and save a lot headache to both users and your team. It should free up some resources for development.

6. Make MC capable to handle lists of symbols: i.e. import/export with ability to select which fields to import/export. Bulk renaming symbols would be an asset.

7. Optimize the software performance by using GPU in computations/backtesting.

Until #1 and #2 accomplished and reassured adding any new features means adding new bugs and the outcome might be very unexpected.

--
Pavel
Last edited by geizer on 20 Feb 2009, edited 5 times in total.

york timothy

Postby york timothy » 19 Feb 2009

Hi Marina,
While it is always nice to see new features added, I would prefer to see
1. reduction in key strokes to accomplish a task.
2. Hot keys to allow the user faster ways to navigate the software i.e. F1,F2 etc to set specific volume charts as well as other tasks.
3. ability to scan charts in the scanner using up and down keys.

If features are only being considered as in your list then I would like to see
1.ability to scan for triangles, wedges, etc.
2. linking studies to the information box that is shown when mouse button is depressed on a chart.
3. ability to merge workspaces as well as allowing a symbol to show in multiple work spaces instead of having to put it in multiple times to accomplish the task.
4. Auto trendlines similar to what Ensign has which includes auto channels as well as alerts.
The suggestions, Marina, is to make MC more customizable by the end user according to how they trade. It would make the software less cumbersome, more user friendly. I hope you will consider these suggestions, thank you.

Warmest regards,

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 20 Feb 2009

I agree about the dearth of hotkeys. A few functions have them, so adding more should be a trivial programming task. Eg on the Format menu (see attached), the top five options are frequently used and should have hotkeys. Longer term, MC should have customizable toolbars and hotkeys like TS.
Attachments
t.gif
(3.98 KiB) Downloaded 3790 times

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 20 Feb 2009

Instead of one selectin, ranking would have been much better way. Wish list items are essential for any good charting package.
I'll second that.

Also you are unlikely to get many votes for TT as this forum is only open to existing customers. Adding additional broker and datafeed options would make MC an option for a much larger customer base.

In addition my wish list:

1) Fix all outstanding bugs (eg http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=4490)
2) Time and Sales window
3) Multiple session templates for charts

kgiolo

Postby kgiolo » 20 Feb 2009

A trade manager like in TS would be nice.
I find very convenient to have all your orders and stops summarized in one window.

Joerg

Postby Joerg » 20 Feb 2009

Hello,

as far as I know no other trading software has the ability do do the following, but this would be very helpful for all mechanical traders I guess:

The ability to reoptimize a strategy on a scheduled basis. Or in other words: a walk-forward-optimization for live-trading. The program should do the reoptimzation f.e. every 4 weeks during the weekend, store the found parameters and then trade with them for the next 4 weeks. Of couse the trader has to keep an eye on the results (and define the target criteria and the parameter-space before) but the manual optimization of 10 or 20 trading systems is very labor-intensiv job.

Kind regards

Joerg

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 20 Feb 2009

Data Playback and futures roll over.

Not sure what the data window with snap is but maybe.

Vote is for three. It keeps removing the other two.

Of things that are missing the most significant is keeping the cross hair visible when moving tools (as an option to switch on). Also ability to associate snap with a tool (rather than having it as generic as it is now) and set this as a default via the current methods. On other words I would have snap for text, arrows and lines turned off but for one tool I would have it turned on. A very big time saver. Better yet if a custom tool bar can be set up by the user to have some trend lines snap and some not snap (each with its own button).

My best guess is that off all of these the biggest crowd pleaser would be the custom tool bar(s).

Benjamin Rogers

Postby Benjamin Rogers » 20 Feb 2009

These are the features I would like to see:

1. Integration with Quotes Plus EOD

2. Order/Position Tracking Center

3. Data Playback

4. Look-Inside-Bar

Idea`s for TS6.0

Postby Guest » 20 Feb 2009

How about some basic`s:
1.) Scaling, so can see a 1/16 th or .25 on a chart`s x-scale.
2.) A vertical line that extends down from the top of the chart into the indicator or volume or what ever is below the chart.
3.) An easy way to put an indicator on a indicator.Ex. a moving average on a indicator.I know this can be done in power language.
4.) Using just the arrow keys to move the chart up,down,right left.
5.) More charting formats, ex. Renko.
This is good for a start.

trader

Postby trader » 20 Feb 2009

Advanced Charting with:

1. "Color fill" between plot1 and plot2.
2. Transparent colors. i.e. When plotted on top of another indicator/color.

Keep up the great job TS Support!

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 20 Feb 2009

Interesting, by having only one vote available TSS gets lots of extra ideas. Pretty smart actually. Just a little manual work to get the numbers.

sforbes

Postby sforbes » 20 Feb 2009

I have waited for Futures roll over for a long time, please prioritise on this version.

1. Futures Roll Over.
2. Data Filter
3. Spreads
4. Popular Charts

Keep up the good work, the improvements over the last year or so have made a big difference to working with MultiCharts.

Regards.

Sue

Tresor

Re: Idea`s for TS6.0

Postby Tresor » 20 Feb 2009

2.) A vertical line that extends down from the top of the chart into the indicator or volume or what ever is below the chart.
Good idea.

DukeNukem

Postby DukeNukem » 20 Feb 2009

I'm not sure if it is already implemented (I'm a new user), but I would like to see a feature where you can drag your cursor between any two positions in the chart and see the up-and-down distance of price movement represented.

geizer

Re: Idea`s for TS6.0

Postby geizer » 20 Feb 2009

Good idea.
+1 for vertical line.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 22 Feb 2009

10. Allow for futures contract backtesting and optimization (MC thinks there is not enough cash to reverse a position + proper calculating of margin, etc)

Regards
I have not been optimizing and backtesting for 2 months and I did not notice the margin calculation had already been built into Portfolio Backtester.

TSS, thank you for resolving this issue. If only the ''sufficient cash'' logic for reversing a position could be implemented, then this would really be unique on the market and a big ''+'' for you.

Regards

ppan

Postby ppan » 22 Feb 2009

Add Stop-Limit Order and all TWS supported orders.

piranhaxp

Postby piranhaxp » 22 Feb 2009

Hi,

I would like following changes :

1. If you open a saved MC-Chart you will see all indicator-plots in a chart . You have to adjust everything . I hate it. I would like to have the possibility to open a chart in a normal HL-resolution .... (like TS).

Thx.

Mike

Arbitrageur

Postby Arbitrageur » 23 Feb 2009

I think all of these features should be implemented. I know you need to prioritize, but I hope you'll do them all in due course!

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 24 Feb 2009

It just occured to me that this related group of tool features should really be in the feature request section since there have been some complaints in this area. I think this set of ideas would go over well generally with the users as long as the extensive work which is likely involved does not interfer with other major priorities.

To start off, I think the current method of setting defaults is great and should continue to be used. Thus the initial set of defaults is applied when the tool goes on the chart and it can be changed after the tool is on the chart (slow but the custom tool bar idea below resolves this).

1/ each tool has a default which the user can change to determine if it is attached to the chart or to the symbol. In other words during futures roll over does the tool remain on the chart with the new symbol or does it stay attached to the old futures contract and only return in the correct original position when that symbol is applied once again to that chart.

2/ each tool has a default which the user can change to determine if it should snap or not snap. In other words it forces snap on or off when applied or moved. After that it sets it back to the generic default (actually not really needed if all tools control the snap). Text typically will not be snapped. Trend lines typically will be snapped. It is really slow and annoying to have to keep changing the snap each time. This would solve that problem.

3/ each tool has a default which the user can change to determine what level it should snap too. For me MC is fine as it is now and it would snap to the lowest level which is price. However some people seem to have a problem with this so if for some unusual reason I decide to put RSI on subchart #1, I might just want trend lines to snap to RSI at level 3 (maybe only on one chart too). Thus the default level for this tool could be changed.

Note that #1 and #3 work together. The user may have the tool attached to the symbol but snapping to the RSI so they want that tool to come back in its original snapped location if they return that chart to that symbol at a later time.

Lastly, as always, because speed is important to the day trader, a custom tool bar function is put in. Here is an example tool bar setup which relates to all three of the above.
1/ the user could set up one button for trend lines to snap to price at the lower level,
2/ a second button for trend lines to snap to level 3 for the RSI example I just described
3/ a 3rd button for trend lines that do not extend left or right and that the user does not want to snap since they are not used as true trend lines and these are attached to the symbol
4/ a 4th button is put on the tool bar for fast application of trend lines that do not snap and that the user wants attached to the chart so they remain on the chart when the futures roll over occurs.
5/ A set of trend lines that have special colours which have meaning to the trader and these are preset for him on the custom tool bar for quick application to the chart.

Trader can create an unlimited number of custom tool bars.

I have not reviewed every possible tool that exists (I doubt anyone ever has) and maybe some would obviously never snap (text is like this I think). But it may actually be easier to program in the long run if this apporach was applied to all tools. Not only that, I personally scroung for tools that can be used for projection type functions that just were not meant for that originally and in all these cases I want them to snap. The point I am making is that you never really know how the trader may be using the tool.

I think this should cover it all.

John.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 24 Feb 2009, edited 15 times in total.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 24 Feb 2009

Add Stop-Limit Order and all TWS supported orders.

+ 1

szapiro thomas

Postby szapiro thomas » 24 Feb 2009

IMHO, look inside bar is a must-have for backtesting strategies. And since MC is I think the best tool for versatile automation and plotting, it cannot lack such an important feature...

Anyway, I LOVE that piece of software !!! (And I LOVE the the support team at least as much !!!) :wink:

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 25 Feb 2009

Three posts back I suggest having a custom tool bar (unlimited actually). This should be easy for the user. They just define a tool on the chart, get it positioned then drag it to the tool bar and it creates the button. From that point on they click the button and drop that tool anywhere on any chart and it appears exactly as they defined it (obviously in the new location). All the user has to do beyond this is give the button a short form text descriptor and maybe set text color for the text. For extra ease of organizing their work, they should be able to drag the button to a new tool bar and drag the button to any new position on the tool bar after it has been created the first time.

I have no idea how hard this is to program but it sure would make it easy for the user and oh so handy. Speed is king.

bowlesj3

FeatureRequestSystemSuggestion

Postby bowlesj3 » 26 Feb 2009

I think having a thread at the top for new feature requests is a good idea. It keeps the requests all in one place for better user reference. To enhance this idea however, as new features appear in MC that have been requested in this thread and are actually working, it makes sense for TSS to go back to these requests and indicate at the top of the user post exactly what parts of the user request have been put in and what release it appeared. The reason is fairly obvious. If TSS does not do this a new user may think that the feature is not in MC. Not only that, users who are cosidering upgrade but holding off for any reason may want to go back and do a search to see if their requested feature is actually in yet. If the user request is completely covered off as a new feature in MC (and the help is properly updated too) TSS could simply make an entry "TSS: 100% complete in version whaver, see latest help under 'whatever'". The user could pull down that help, study it and decide if it truly does meet their needs before risking an upgrade.

If this idea is followed, this thread becomes a flexible database of MC user requests and progress too (a simpler version of a database suggestion I had made earlier).

bowlesj3

Order of execution of studies.

Postby bowlesj3 » 26 Feb 2009

It is starting to appear as though MC executes the studies on a chart in the order that they have been applied to that chart (F7 add new study). Assuming that my tests on this are correct it would be somewhat useful if the user could take control of this order later. And it would be best if they user could do this without having to rename their studies. Ideally a new column in the "format Studies" list called "exec order" or "Exec Seq" would be the best way to do this. As is currently possible with all the current columns in this list it would be nice if the user could sort on this new column. Having this column in the list would also make the user more sensitive to the order that studies are executed within the chart and it could help them design their logic better.

I say somewhat useful because I have hit a situation where I have to reaply all my studies on all charts to get them to execute in proper order. I have to rename one of them so I have a way of knowing this order (cumbersome especially when one has to change input settings on some of them).
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 26 Feb 2009, edited 3 times in total.

Darkomage

Postby Darkomage » 26 Feb 2009

Hi all.

Reading the feature list, I'm asking myself if the "playack tool" coud not be seen as a kind of "look inside bar backtesting", because I guess that data playback function will have an option to replay data with time multiplicator. So, asking for a replay with an active signal would obviously do a "replayed walk forward test looking inside bar as they build", which is some kind of "look inside bar" backtesting.

But I vote for the look inside bar, because it's really a must have, for me.

cya

TJ

Postby TJ » 26 Feb 2009

Hi all.
Reading the feature list, I'm asking myself if the "playack tool" coud not be seen as a kind of "look inside bar backtesting", because I guess that data playback function will have an option to replay data with time multiplicator. So, asking for a replay with an active signal would obviously do a "replayed walk forward test looking inside bar as they build", which is some kind of "look inside bar" backtesting.
But I vote for the look inside bar, because it's really a must have, for me.
cya
you have the concept correct.
The difference is in the time it takes to complete a "test".
That depends on your sample size, as well as whether it is an optimization test.

valabhi

Price - Dome

Postby valabhi » 28 Feb 2009

hello;

wish MC include price dome like many other software.
kindly adopt a little change from TS

thank you

dupl

Native spreads

Postby dupl » 06 Mar 2009

BID-ASK Native "calendar" spreads.
From e.g. InteractiveBrokers...

york timothy

Postby york timothy » 19 Mar 2009

Hi Marina,
Please add a method of changing chart size that requires only 1 key. In AB I use the F5 key for the 117649 volume chart, 1 click. I use the F6 key for the 16807 volume chart, again only 1 click. I have all the chart sizes I use on hot keys to make it easy to change the charts. This would really make use of MC a lot more efficient. Thank you.

Warmest regards,

Tim

FlyTiger

Postby FlyTiger » 21 Mar 2009

Here's what I'd like to see.

www.TS.com/support/tutorials/scanner.aspx

A cross between Stockfetcher and RadarScreen.

Any doubt MC staff could do it better?

Having option of CQG, DTN's NxCore, TT as data source for MC would be great also.

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 09 Apr 2009

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... ttimedexit

Many others have also commented about this feature request.

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 29 May 2009

Top three enhancements for me as a mechanical trader are:
1. Tracking Center.

2. See better trade info on chart:
a Connect entry and exit trades using colored dotted lines.
b When you click a bar that a trade occurred on, the trade price is shown.

3. Alert emails for data and broker disconnection.

All three above are in TS. I'm surprised on-chart trade info is still so poor in what is otherwise a fast maturing product, as simple things like this give a trader a feel for how a system is performing, and aid in system development.

I've said it before, match TS's charting abilities with a better brokerage (IB) and you have the market-leading trading platform.
Last edited by brendanh on 29 May 2009, edited 4 times in total.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 29 May 2009

Top three enhancements for me as a mechanical trader are:
1. Tracking Center.
It is under development and will be included in MultiCharts 6 this summer.
b When you right click a bar that a trade occurred on, the trade price is shown.
It will be available in MultiCharts 5.5 in few weeks.
How does it work? Could you tell me more?

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 29 May 2009

How does it work? Could you tell me more?
In TS there are two icons in the status bar at the bottom, one for Trading, the other for Data. They change colour according to status. You can right-click either and choose whether and how to be notified in the event of disconnection or connection. You can select to be notified: audibly, visually or by email. I choose all three for disconnections, and just visually and audibly for connections. There are options for including user initiated disconnections, and some other events (opening and closing bell, etc) which I don't use.

See attached screenshot.
Attachments
t.gif
(19.14 KiB) Downloaded 3785 times

shortski

Votes

Postby shortski » 29 May 2009

Based on the options presented, I would say;

1) Data Playback

2) Custom Bar types

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 01 Jun 2009

I see Brendan. Thank you.

Shortski,
What do you mean by Custom Bar types? We do support any type bars.

kh_model

MTPredictor uses "Commentary" to draw on Charts

Postby kh_model » 07 Jun 2009

In case others are not aware, "Analysis Commentary" in TS is a feature that is required by MTPredictor RT to draw risk-reward, stop levels, and multiple support and resistance levels on charts. The "Analysis Commentary" feature is an integral part of MTPredictor's "automatic trade setups". In my opinion MTPredictor is one of the best tools available today, and I'd like to see it working in MultiCharts. Radarscreen works nicely with MTPredictor, and I'd like to see that same capability in the MultiCharts scanner as well. FYI, I have already programmed my own interactive fib tools in TS by taking advantage of the point-click capabilities that are part of "Analysis Commentary".

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 18 Jun 2009

A couple of minor improvement suggestions:
The Signal Inputs are in a list box that is too small. Why not fill the available space?
Secondly, in TS I can copy and paste entire chart\scanner windows (including indicators and strategies) to another workspace, which is a great time saver.

Andrew Kirillov

Re: MTPredictor uses "Commentary" to draw on Chart

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 18 Jun 2009

kh_model,
We are going to implement this feature later this or next year.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 18 Jun 2009

A couple of minor improvement suggestions:
The Signal Inputs are in a list box that is too small. Why not fill the available space?
We will improve it later.
Secondly, in TS I can copy and paste entire chart\scanner windows (including indicators and strategies) to another workspace, which is a great time saver.
Ther same is true for MultiCharts. See File->Copy Window ... Paste Window.

Jojojo

Re: VOTE FOR MC FEATURES TO BE IMPLEMENTED

Postby Jojojo » 31 Dec 2023

TRANSPARENT COLORS are years behind others

Return to “MultiCharts”