trembling charts

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
arnie

trembling charts

Postby arnie » 28 Mar 2009

Does anyone noticed that sometimes intraday charts starts to tremble :shock:

The first time I noticed this it was damn cold in Portugal and I thought to myself, poor chart, is trembling with cold, but then again, maybe not :P

Normaly, this trembling stops when we increase or decrease bar spacing.

Any thoughts about this?

Regards.
Fernando

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 28 Mar 2009

I noticed something similar on early versions, the chart would move right then left, over and over, it was cured by ver 5. 2, I think.

What version are you using ?

arnie

Postby arnie » 28 Mar 2009

Actually no.

I'm using version 5 beta 2 and they trembling from time to time.

So far I haven't connected beta 4 to realtime data so I don't know if the problem was solved

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 28 Mar 2009

I also experienced trembling chart for V5 Beta 4.

Don't know how to reproduce it, but surely it does tremble in some cases.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 28 Mar 2009

This looks like a reintroduced bug, was fixed about a year ago but I can confirm it is back in v. 5 beta 2
It only happened to me once so not as prevalent as before.

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=4467
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=4923

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 28 Mar 2009

I believe it now happens when a study is going to extremes and the next interval number (label step) is trying to display in the price scale column, at least that is what has happened to me (I do not "Divide Scale Labels" nor "Set Labels" step size manually).

Ie: (I know there is a margin above 5.00, but this is just oversimplified for illustration)
MACD is set to update on every tick and scaled to screen, the scale to the right is max out at, oh, let's say 5.00. The MACD is going between 5.01 and 4.99 on every tick. It wants to show 6.00 on the price scale on one tick and 5.00 on the next. BAM, trembling charts.

I just put my mouse cursor in the price scale of that subchart and left click and drag the scale down a little until that bar completes. Afterward, I right click and "reset scale".

The answer might be to have the next interval print in the price scale on the first tick of the condition and stay that way until the bar closes then revert back to what ever the correct interval should be. Ie: If the MACD closed at 5.01 then the price scale interval would be 6.00, if it closed at 4.99 then it reverts back to 5.00.

Hope that helps.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 28 Mar 2009

It's similar to:
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?p=18071#18071
but significant digits does not seem the problem this time.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 08 Apr 2009

Hello? Anyone? Bueller?

TJ

Postby TJ » 08 Apr 2009

I am using Version 5.0 Beta 5 (Build 2199).

don't know what went right...
I have not experienced the dancing/trembling charts of early Version 4.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 08 Apr 2009

I few days ago I experienced trembling charts. It occured when the market made a fast move. It lasted a few minutes. It stopped and never reoccurred.

Regards
Attachments
trembling.png
(23.59 KiB) Downloaded 1813 times

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 09 Apr 2009

The reason of trebling charts is price scale width. MultiCharts automatically chooses the optimal width and it means the price scale space can be wider or bit more narrow.
It is dictated by indicators price scale.

Set manual setting in Format Window->Y-price scale and it will not jump back and forth.
Last edited by Andrew Kirillov on 10 Apr 2009, edited 1 time in total.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 09 Apr 2009

Hi Andrew,

I disagree, but you are the boss. I think the width is fine. I have observed it only happens when an indicator is reaching an extreme vertical position and the price scale is quickly switching back and forth between the next and present price scale number on every tick.
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?p=25842#25519

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 10 Apr 2009

Hi Bob,
What you say is perfectly consistent with what I'm trying to tell you.
You said that as soon the indicator comes to top or bottom of the chart pane the scale is switching back and forth between numbers.
Example:
We have 999 as a top value of the indicator scale. The indicator is reaching 1000. We have 3 characters and now have 4. The width of the price scale pane is expanding.
After that the indicator rolsl back to 999 and we have 3 characters-width. One second later it moves to 1000 back and so on.
You can see that software plot 3 or 4 characters width and it looks like jumping, because software changes the width automatically.
If you set 5 characters (for illustrative purposes only) as a static value it will never happen.
Does it make sense for you?

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 10 Apr 2009

Andrew,

I've only seen this once on version 5 and it was on a chart with volume as the only indicator, same as Tresor posted above. How can the the price scale be switching, volume cannot decrease as the data comes in?

BTW, I've always been trying to work out how to get rid of the .00 and the end of the volume as you can't buy or sell a hundredth of a contract is that possible?

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 10 Apr 2009

Andrew said:
Does it make sense for you?
Hi Andrew,
Yes, it makes perfect sense. I have seen it jump between 800 and 1000 and thought it was a "vertical" phenomenon.
I stand corrected.

Thank you!

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 10 Apr 2009

I get a sort of trembling in MC 2.1.999.999 on the daily bars. I just grab the price scale and pull it down a bit. It is fixed then my mind is back to trading since it seems to be only a once a day thing. However it is only recently I have noticed it (maybe the last 2 weeks).

I also get extra digits on the right side of my RSI sometimes (no trembling) and the same method fixes this too - adjusting subchart #2 scale. This occurs off and on all the time.

Once a day problems are not a big deal with me. It is the all day having to turn snap mode on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off .... that gets me (which is why the tool being highlighted should control it and the user should decide how their use of the tool effects snap mode).

Gee I sure can type "on and off" better than before now :-) There is always something good in even the worst of situations!
Attachments
20090410_145438_ES_01_tremble.PNG
(43.43 KiB) Downloaded 1788 times
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 10 Apr 2009, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 10 Apr 2009

Geoff,

I've only seen this once on version 5 and it was on a chart with volume as the only indicator, same as Tresor posted above. How can the the price scale be switching, volume cannot decrease as the data comes in?
Your argument is absolutely relevant. When I analyzed the Tresor’s screenshot I couldn’t find explanation too. It is obvious the volume just increments. The only possible scenario is a short bar (1 sec, 10 Ticks or 5 Volumes), but it was not a case.
So if it still trembles we need to investigate it more. IF you have it create movie with a free SWF recorder for us. Maybe we will find an explanation. So far we have no answer.
BTW, I've always been trying to work out how to get rid of the .00 and the end of the volume as you can't buy or sell a hundredth of a contract is that possible?
Yes, MultiCharts 5 has a special feature. See Volume->Edit Study->Scaling->Number of decimals. It allows you to set preferred number of decimals. By default we get number of decimals from base data series price scale.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 10 Apr 2009

Andrew Said:
So if it still trembles we need to investigate it more. IF you have it create movie with a free SWF recorder for us. Maybe we will find an explanation. So far we have no answer.
I think the "First tick / Last tick" suggestion from a prior post of mine might be a viable solution.
The answer might be to have the next interval print in the price scale on the first tick of the condition and stay that way until the bar closes then revert back to what ever the correct interval should be.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 10 Apr 2009

actually I did get MC 2.1.999.999 to tremble as you guys are talking about and with the RSI. I have to get the RSI to have extra digits (see attached png) then pull the right scale up to just the exact position while it has these extra digits. If I lift it farther it stops or pull it down it stops doing its tremble.

Isn't that cool. MC provides new entertainment if I work hard enough to get it to do that.

When the gold release comes out and if it aborts less than MC 2.1.999.999 (what I now call MC Lite but really bright) maybe I can report this stuff (if I get to keep my fixed price profit tool across futures contracts).

Conclusion re this problem: Impact on dollars of income during trading is ZERO!
Attachments
20090410_145438_ES_01_tremble.PNG
(43.43 KiB) Downloaded 1799 times

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 13 Apr 2009

"First tick / Last tick" suggestion from a prior post of mine might be a viable solution.
I can't find the suggestion. Could you re-post it please?

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 13 Apr 2009

from: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?p=25883#25519
The answer might be to have the next interval print in the price scale on the first tick of the condition and stay that way until the bar closes then revert back to what ever the correct interval should be.
I now only see this infrequently happen only in subcharts >= 2

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 13 Apr 2009

what version are you running?

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 13 Apr 2009

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 13 Apr 2009

Geoff,

Your argument is absolutely relevant. When I analyzed the Tresor’s screenshot I couldn’t find explanation too. It is obvious the volume just increments. The only possible scenario is a short bar (1 sec, 10 Ticks or 5 Volumes), but it was not a case.
Andrew I did not have time to look for an SWF recorder yet but it just happened again and I noticed that it is the price scale changing again. I got 2 screen shots which it was jumping between on each tick received, adding the extra space for 100,000 rather than 50,000.
Attachments
test.png
(36.59 KiB) Downloaded 1799 times
test2.png
(36.22 KiB) Downloaded 1813 times

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 15 Apr 2009

Geoff,
We've reproduced what you see. I can confidently say that the reason is the same: auto-selection of width. If you set manual width, it will not happen.
To prove my words I made a movie that highlights the same issue in TS8.
So the only solution is to set manual width with 2 redundant characters.
Attachments
TradeStation.zip
(849.74 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 16 Apr 2009

Andrew,

It is very strange that TS 8 has the same fault. I cannot understand why it changes the width in that scenario on the volume indicator. Manually selecting the width does indeed fix it but now that I use the scanner and symbol linking I use the same chart for symbols with different price scales and volume scales so that's not a very good solution.

However it is a very rare event. When it used to happen in V2.1 it was several times a day and sometimes even on more than one chart in the same workspace, I've only seen it twice since using V5 betas. So I'm not really concerned by it.

Thanks for investigating.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 16 Apr 2009

It is not strange, because it is a natural thing.
Combination of the number of visible bars and their price rise the trembling.
It is normal. Set manual width and forget about it :)

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 16 Apr 2009

OK I have to admit that I don't understand :oops: but as I said it does not concern me as it happens very rarely.

Thanks again.

Return to “MultiCharts”