How to quickly import many symbols into MultiCharts?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
SiliconTiger

How to quickly import many symbols into MultiCharts?

Postby SiliconTiger » 19 Jul 2009

I use TS for my data source and would like to find a way to add many symbols at the same time instead of having to lookup and add each individually. For example, if I wanted to add all the symbols in the NASDAQ Composite Index what would be the easiest way of doing this? Is it possible to add Symbols, and have the symbol info automatically be looked up from TS, via ASCII file or some other easy import mechanism?

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions on this.

arnie

Postby arnie » 19 Jul 2009

Hi SiliconTiger.

The easiest way is to create a new scanner window and then import your list into it.

If you have a .txt file with your symbols you just need to select them and then copy/paste into the scanner window.

All symbols will be created automatically in QuoteManager.

Regards,
Fernando

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 20 Jul 2009

It is possible to add several symbols from TS8 using QuoteManager Add from data source feature. The symbols will be added with correct settings. If you want to import specific symbols from your list you can use Symbol List Import feature (MC 5.5). It allows one to import symbol name, description, category and exchange.

SiliconTiger

Postby SiliconTiger » 20 Jul 2009

Thanks for the reply Fernando. Your cut-and-paste method allows for a nice easy way to add a bunch of symbols into the scanner window, but the data only gets loaded for those symbols if they already have been added via QuoteManager. You state that “All symbols will be created automatically in QuoteManager” but I found this to not be the case – the symbols get added in the scanner window but no data is loaded and a message in the “Trend” column of the scanner window says “Waiting for Data…”.

Is there a way to have QuoteManager automatically add a bunch of symbols, using TS to look up the relevant description, category, exchange, etc?

Thanks.

shortski

Postby shortski » 20 Jul 2009

I can't even get "Paste" to show up when I copy a list. Insert Symbol..., Insert Study..., and Sort are the only options I see when I right click on the scanner window.

I think I am trying to solve the same problem in that I want to create a number of different scan lists and be able to import a large number of symbols at a time.

TJ

Postby TJ » 20 Jul 2009

First, copy the symbols from your list.
(from excel, text file, or whatever...)
(e.g. highlight the list, then Crtl-C to copy)

Next,
use the mouse to left click on a cell in the scanner,

then,

in your keyboard, press Ctrl-V.

Your symbol list will be pasted to the scanner.

note to TSSupport: there should be a "Paste" option when right click on the scanner.

shortski

Postby shortski » 21 Jul 2009

Thanks TJ. That works fine. I notice that as soon as I add a list of symbols, they will sort them selves alphabetically. And that is ok but I was wondering if I can have 'breaks' between groups of symbols? Could I have a group of tech stocks, then a break and then a group of oil stocks for instance?

Thanks

S

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 11 Aug 2009

Hi.

When pasting symbols into the Scanner with Ctrl-V, what determines the settings (Feed, Resolution, etc.) that the pasted symbols will assume?

Is there a place where a default preference for such is set?

Is there something about the current state of the scan sheet that determines this?

arnie

Postby arnie » 11 Aug 2009

Hi.

When pasting symbols into the Scanner with Ctrl-V, what determines the settings (Feed, Resolution, etc.) that the pasted symbols will assume?

Is there a place where a default preference for such is set?

Is there something about the current state of the scan sheet that determines this?
Hi MC_prog

In QuoteManager, go to Tools/DataSources and deactivate all data feeds that you don't need, leaving only the one you use.

This way all symbols you add will assume the data feed you left activated.

Naturaly that we are talking about "universal" symbols (not having specific letters or numbers given by the data feed)

All US stocks symbols are assumed by all data feeds, though futures and forex symbols usually have different symbols depending the data feed used.

regards,
Fernando

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 11 Aug 2009

Fernando,

Thanks for your reply.

There were feeds activated that I don't use, so I did deactivate them per your advice.

However, I do use several feeds, so I'd like to know the behavior under this scenario.

arnie

Postby arnie » 11 Aug 2009

Fernando,

Thanks for your reply.

There were feeds activated that I don't use, so I did deactivate them per your advice.

However, I do use several feeds, so I'd like to know the behavior under this scenario.
I have 3 data feeds and when I added the 500 S&P symbols they all assumed my realtime feed, IQFeed.

In QM you can select several symbols at the same time and then edit them, changing the data feed associated to them, and also the exchange and sessions.

Just select one symbol and then click Shift key and up/down arrow key.
Then right mouse button and Edit Symbols

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 13 Aug 2009

Please try our new Symbol List Import Feature in QuoteManager->File.
It is avaialable in MC 5.5.

Return to “MultiCharts”