Hidden recalculate log or optional popups request

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Hidden recalculate log or optional popups request

Postby bowlesj3 » 19 Apr 2010

I have just discovered that a study I have is doing the MC hidden recalculate (maybe only during replay mode but I am not sure yet). I know this because I am using fileappend on the first bar of the chart statement (recalculate wipes out a print statement log and thus you can not use the print statement to track the hidden recalculate). My binary search statement no longer triggers this hidden recaclulate so it is something else.

The request is for MC to have some sort of an optional popup alert to let us know it is doing this recalculate. Also ideally to have a log or something to somehow help use figure out what is doing it (where it is occuring). Maybe this log could at least include the bar that it is occuring on and the time it occured. It would be a large time saver.

In the mean time I have decided to have the first bar on the chart code set a GV that notifies me of the hidden recalculate. I suppose users who are only programming in MC's EL could have another study pick up the GV signal to both alert of it and log it.

Thanks much,
John.

bowlesj3

I found the statement it likes to recalculate on but I can not see any problem in the EL code.

TJ

Postby TJ » 19 Apr 2010

do you have maxbarsback on auto?

Bruce DeVault

Postby Bruce DeVault » 19 Apr 2010

TJ is right, sometimes setting max bars back to a specific number that is known to be large enough can resolve this type of thing - MC/TS will evaluate analysis techniques with successively longer data series to determine the number of bars required, if set to auto. Signals don't work that way (for reasons that are probably obvious, and include live broker connectivity) - they require you to set it to a specific number.

Among the other circumstances that could cause a recalculation would include adding/changing a data series on the chart, or a reconnect cycle.

bowlesj3

Thanks guys, you are correct. I am going to pick a fairly high number, try it and get back to you. It makes sense actually because the statement tripping it is time_s[variable] but the variable is getting its value from a GV from another study. It is just recently I put that statement in so before there was no problem.

John.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 19 Apr 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce DeVault

That makes sense. Just figure out what the highest likely value of "variable" is and put that plus a small safety margin in max bars back, and you should hopefully be good to go.

bowlesj3

That did it guys. Thanks.

Seeing as this could happen in any study during any similar such changes I have it on my todo list now to drop some code in the currentbar = 1 code to notify me of any hidden recalculates (as mentioned above). However it will suggest checking the "auto detect" or "current hard coded setting". Also it will include log writes showing the maxbarsback values with each restart of the study. It is real easy to do and protects one against a nasty surprise during production runs due to something simply forgotten or not thought of.

Bruce DeVault

Another idea that sometimes helps, if you want to make absolutely sure you don't have recalculations due to auto bars back determination in some EasyLanguage that essentially exists to perform a "side effect" such as outputting a text file or sending a live trade to a broker via a DLL, is to simply structure it deliberately as a signal rather than as an analysis technique (assuming you don't require plots as essential for what you are doing in the side effect) - in this way, because signals do not have auto lookback determination, you can be sure that will not happen. And, if you do require plots, you can often get that done via ELC to send the data over to a companion analysis technique.

bowlesj3

Interesting Idea. For me (being discretionary) I use no signals at all so it would be better to create a function and drop it in every study at currentbar = 1.

One thing. I have noticed that the alert command does not seem to work until lastbaronchart. I have never dug into this to investigate farther. Am I correct on this?

Bruce DeVault

Yes, alerts are intended for real-time use, not during back-testing.

bowlesj3

So I guess the function which runs at the currentbar=1 location will have to set a GV which is picked up by either another study at the lastbaronchart location or another program to give a popup notice. It could submit the study name as the GV value. Maybe even use a second GV containing the new maxbarsback setting.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 19 Apr 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce DeVault

Well, if it wants to raise an alert, it can simply wait until the last bar to do so, keeping track if needed in a local variable that it needs to do this when the time comes.

bowlesj3

I did this type of thing once before actually about 2/3 years ago. There was a counter of the number of currentbar=1 runs and if > 1 then it notified me. I should have set this up back then. It has to be initialized at the start of the trading day since the studies are only suppose to run currentbar=1 at the beginning of the day. If I force a recaluclate manually I just skip by the check.

Return to “MultiCharts”