auto trading question

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
simon007

auto trading question

Postby simon007 » 26 Jul 2010

Hi @,

This weekend multcharts crashed while on auto trading. It made a trade on Friday, so it had an open position during the crash.

Is there a way to restart multicharts so it takes this open position into account?

Best regards,

Simon

iso

Postby iso » 27 Jul 2010

Not that I am aware of, I have tried many things to get this to work. This is a big concern for me as I may have 20 open positions that are being managed by a strategy for multiple days.

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 27 Jul 2010

As long as the "Assume market position is the SAME AS on the chart" option is selected (in Strategy Properties), MC should exit existing open positions after automation initialisation.

An issue with the "Exit from Entry" PowerLanguage command, that meant such exits were not placed, was supposedly fixed in beta 4, however I don't think it has. I'm waiting for a signal that uses this command to reoccur to confirm.

jaikumarm

afaik its not possible

Postby jaikumarm » 27 Jul 2010

yes, I have tried this as well, there is no such feature as of now.

In some of my automated strategies I want to update the parameters once or twice a week, based on current market values. At that point the strategy gets messed up as there are existing trades in play at various levels and the only option is to close them or leave them open and add them back in one chunk at the avg price. this is far from ideal.

It will be really nice if multicharts had a feature to pick-up existing open trades from the broker, when starting auto trade, preferably with the date and time of the existing orders intact.

brendanh

Re: afaik its not possible

Postby brendanh » 27 Jul 2010

In some of my automated strategies I want to update the parameters once or twice a week, based on current market values. At that point the strategy gets messed up as there are existing trades in play at various levels and the only option is to close them or leave them open and add them back in one chunk at the avg price. this is far from ideal.
Would this help:

Code: Select all

If date =CurrentDate then begin
My Buy conditions
My Sell conditions
end;
It would only produce signals from today, and would not show previous signals.
It will be really nice if multicharts had a feature to pick-up existing open trades from the broker, when starting auto trade, preferably with the date and time of the existing orders intact.
Don't think that would ever be implemented. MC automates what happens on chart, not what we would like to be on chart ;-)

jaikumarm

Re: afaik its not possible

Postby jaikumarm » 27 Jul 2010

thanks for taking your time to respond, but don't entirely understand the your response.
Would this help:

Code: Select all

If date =CurrentDate then begin
My Buy conditions
My Sell conditions
end;
It would only produce signals from today, and would not show previous signals.
Not really, because the changes I want to make are based on market values, like MA, Support price etc and also some discretionary values based on staring at the charts long enough, so there is no way know them before or represent them mathematically within the strategy.
Don't think that would ever be implemented. MC automates what happens on chart, not what we would like to be on chart ;-)
That is not accurate, because am not asking MC to make up stuff. what am and others are asking is when starting an auto trade chart make sure it reflects the reality that there are existing trades in play and execute the strategy taking those values into account.

Am guessing this is not a easy to do feature, but a very useful one, at least for me personally.

Also what about the original query where multichart crashes or the trading station crashes or vps running trades spontaneously reboots, there are enough and more corner cases where this feature will be a welcome addition instead of going to the broker and clearing out all existing trades manually and starting out new.

Hope that helps.

jaikumarm

Postby jaikumarm » 28 Jul 2010

okay after re-reading my response, now I better understand "brendanh" response. I guess I owe him a quick apology :(
So when is said the above I actually meant was "existing positions intact".

It would nice if we can capture open orders, but its for sure only a nice to have.

The more important one is the ability to automatically import in open positions from the broker when you start auto trade strategy. This is implemented to an extent already in mc6b4 you can manually set the position size and avg price. However this assumes the trade was made when the strategy was initialized.

So there are two problems, one is a problem of numbers as it does not differentiate between lots bought at different rates only avg prices is available for the chart calculations and second is the time of purchase/sale which may play in how long you want to hold on to a contract etc..

hope this helps :).

simon007

Postby simon007 » 28 Jul 2010

The more important one is the ability to automatically import in open positions from the broker when you start auto trade strategy. This is implemented to an extent already in mc6b4 you can manually set the position size and avg price. However this assumes the trade was made when the strategy was initialized.
Hi jaikumarm,

Where can you set this in MC?

best regards,

Simon

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 28 Jul 2010

Hi jaikumarm,

Where can you set this in MC?

best regards,

Simon
"MarketPosition_at_broker" in your script will give you position at broker....beware the description in help file is incorrect.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 29 Jul 2010

Hi @,

This weekend multcharts crashed while on auto trading. It made a trade on Friday, so it had an open position during the crash.

Is there a way to restart multicharts so it takes this open position into account?

Best regards,

Simon
Dear Simon,

You can enable the 'Show the Assign the Initial Market Position at the Broker dialogue' - 'Show always' in Strategy Properties --> Auto Trading.

Thus, you can set the position, you are currently in, every time you turn on the auto trading.

Return to “MultiCharts”