Multicharts 6.0 official release feedback

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
TJ

Postby TJ » 30 Jul 2010

If you tried version 6.0 Build 3553 Release
and have an experience to share (good, bad or ugly),
please post them here.

https://www.multicharts.com/trading-software-download/

arnie

Re: Multicharts 6.0 official release feedback

Postby arnie » 30 Jul 2010

First of all please allow me to congratulate TSSupport for the web site new look. Very appealing to the eye.

Now, where can I download version 6 final release?
The download page only give the option to download a trial-up version. Does the clients use this same link?

Fernando

Emmanuel

Postby Emmanuel » 30 Jul 2010

Hi,

With the Multichart 6.0 official release :

When I request Bid Ask Tic from IB,

I get the following error message :

1/ "Historical Data request pacing violation",

2/ then I stop to get data for 8 min,

3/ then it start to get the next data again

(Please look to the attachment....)

(I got the same error with multichart 5.5.)

The only way I found to cut short the 8 min was to restart IB, then quotemanager reconnect IB, start to get data again immediately

Is there a way to reduce the 8 min ? without restarting IB ?

I just wanted to let you know about this error message.
As long as I receive the data, this is not an urgent mater.

We are testing Multicharts Beta 4 then official release now , it is working great !!!! with plenty of improvment !!! :D :D :D

:D :D :D Anyway Multichart 6.0 is fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulation to all the TSSupport team !!!! :D :D :D
Attachments
Multichart 6.0 error message.doc
(509.5 KiB) Downloaded 187 times

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 30 Jul 2010

I think the pacing violation comes from requesting too many quotes at a time. As soon as I get the pacing error, I immediately shut down tws and re-start it, then the data fills in again until complete. (no need to wait 8 minutes)

Emmanuel

Hi Sptrader,

thank you for your answer, I start each time for each day but it take a lot of time and you have to stay next to your computer :

if you download 25 days, bid and ask , it mean that you have to restart IB 25*2=50 times !!! for only 25 day.

I am looking for another solution

I was wondering, if TSsupport had another solution without waiting 8 min or restarting IB

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 30 Jul 2010

The only solution may be a different data provider, IB has limitations.

Emmanuel

SpTrader,

I know , it 's challenge to get data with IB ... :?

I know it's not on the Multicharts side ...

I just ask TSsupport, in case, they have a solution ... They usually do .... :)

I am really impress by the quality , the reliability, the stability of Multicharts 6.0 , this is really an excellent software :D

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 30 Jul 2010

Two new forex data feeds were added to MC: Dukascopy and PFGBest, which is really addvaluing the platform and potentially can bring in new customers.

This link https://www.multicharts.com/market-data-feeds/ says there is no history for both Dukascopy and PFGBest data feeds.

Now there is a question I am afraid to ask fearing the answer:

Let's assume:
(i) I will shut down my MC and computer and go for a 30 minute lunch,
(ii) I will restart my computer after a 30 minute break and open MC .

Will the 30 minute break be backfilled with Duka or PFG data in MC or will there be a gap? Does ''no history'' means no backfilling?

Henrik

Postby Henrik » 31 Jul 2010

Where can I find the offical Release 6.0 ?

I see only the final 5.5 and the 6 beta 4...
http://www.tssupport.com/support/downloads/

TJ

Postby TJ » 31 Jul 2010

Where can I find the offical Release 6.0 ?

I see only the final 5.5 and the 6 beta 4...
http://www.tssupport.com/support/downloads/
look under download:
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-software-download/

drudominique

Postby drudominique » 31 Jul 2010

Good morning.
I do not understand we are in the beta 4 and offer an update to version 3?
I do not understand?
cordially

french

bonjour .
je ne comprends pas nous sommes a la beta 4 et vous proposer une mise a jour de la version 3 ?
je comprends pas ?
cordialement

fcetrader

Postby fcetrader » 31 Jul 2010

Hello,

I am currently using Multicharts 6.0 beta 2. I would like to update to official release 6.0. My question: Will my workspaces and data created in quotemanager be saved or will I have to create them again ?

Thank you

Fcetrader

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 31 Jul 2010

Hello,

I am currently using Multicharts 6.0 beta 2. I would like to update to official release 6.0. My question: Will my workspaces and data created in quotemanager be saved or will I have to create them again ?

Thank you

Fcetrader
Updated to official 6.0 release without any problems. All data, files, workspaces, quotemanger etc., from previous vesion are intact and working as expected......you can update without fear.

Congratulation to MC team for official release of MC 6.0

fcetrader

Postby fcetrader » 31 Jul 2010

Hello SUPER,

Thank you very much for your feedback ! I have just updated to official 6.0 release without any problems ! :D

I fully agree with you: congratulation to MC team for the MC 6.0 release

Regards,
Fcetrader

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 31 Jul 2010

Didn't see this thread....(no coffee in my operating system).

Exception error when trying to make a chart from MBTrading data.

At https://www.multicharts.com/multicharts/new/
It lists "Bugs" instead of Bugs Fixed.

Overall the final release has come a long way from the first beta I tried. My prime area of interest is strategy development, testing, evaluation and trade automation. Using other softwares, I tried a number of times over the past 15 years to automate my trading methods. This is the first time all the parts come together in a way that I think it likely that the automation will succeed.

Really like the feel of the new website.

Applause to all.

DB

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 02 Aug 2010

Studies created in TS 8.8 can't be opened in PowerLanguage editor, something missed out in official release.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 02 Aug 2010

I upgraded from beta 2 to final 6 release on both XP sp3 and windows7 machines, the XP sp3 machine(quad core, 4 gb ram) is giving me the same "memory error" as beta4 did, this MUST be fixed asap. The memory error will shut down charting without warning. The windows7 machine has NOT shown the error yet. (back to beta2 on XP machine)
About a dozen workspaces with 4 charts each, 4 indicators each, not what I would consider overloaded.
Attachments
MC_Memory Error.jpg
(21.11 KiB) Downloaded 2793 times
MC_Error_Quad.jpg
(95.65 KiB) Downloaded 2783 times

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 02 Aug 2010

Good morning.
I do not understand we are in the beta 4 and offer an update to version 3?
I do not understand?
cordially
We were in the past in MC beta 6.1, MC beta 6.2, MC beta 6.3 and MC beta 6.4.

Now we are in the present in MC official 6.0 (better than betas above). Download MC official 6.0 from here: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-software-download/

I think the confusion comes from the fact that there are two ''competing'' websites that offer different ''last'' MC versions (although date release is the same):
(i) TSSupport http://www.tssupport.com/support/downloads/ last version is 6.0.3445.204
(ii) Multicharts https://www.multicharts.com/trading-software-download/ last version is 6.0.3553.400 - seems to be the newest one

Funny thing...

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 02 Aug 2010

sptrader,

I have invested a lot of time on the memory issue and like you noticed it changed when upgrading a beta. There are a number of things you can do to mitigate the impact. Part of this comes from understanding how certain things work. While I look forward to a permanent solution, I wanted to learn how to live with it at this time and for me the 2 adjustments below has made this a non event.

First.
There is more memory used if there is more chart visually showing and the more the chart has on it, the greater the draw on memory. So if you try to look at 2000 bars with strategies generating 1000 signals, the amount will be much grater than looking at 200 bars with 100 signals.

Next.
If the request is made to look at the bars at a tick level on a 100 tick bar for the past 10,000 bars, there is a demand placed on the computer to supply 1,000,000 ticks drawing heavily on memory. In my case I saw no significant p/l difference and so while I might test a chart at a time with it on, when I am done I turn it off and trade with it off.

Good luck,
Don
I upgraded from beta 2 to final 6 release on both XP sp3 and windows7 machines, the XP sp3 machine(quad core, 4 gb ram) is giving me the same "memory error" as beta4 did, this MUST be fixed asap. The memory error will shut down charting without warning. The windows7 machine has NOT shown the error yet. (back to beta2 on XP machine)
About a dozen workspaces with 4 charts each, 4 indicators each, not what I would consider overloaded.

sptrader

sptrader,

I have invested a lot of time on the memory issue and like you noticed it changed when upgrading a beta. There are a number of things you can do to mitigate the impact. Part of this comes from understanding how certain things work. While I look forward to a permanent solution, I wanted to learn how to live with it at this time and for me the 2 adjustments below has made this a non event.

First.
There is more memory used if there is more chart visually showing and the more the chart has on it, the greater the draw on memory. So if you try to look at 2000 bars with strategies generating 1000 signals, the amount will be much grater than looking at 200 bars with 100 signals.

Next.
If the request is made to look at the bars at a tick level on a 100 tick bar for the past 10,000 bars, there is a demand placed on the computer to supply 1,000,000 ticks drawing heavily on memory. In my case I saw no significant p/l difference and so while I might test a chart at a time with it on, when I am done I turn it off and trade with it off.

Good luck,
Don
sptrader,

First.

Next.

Good luck,
Don

sptrader

Don: I don't use automated strategies (yet) but I do have one chart that takes time to calculate a few indicators, it's an ESU0 25 contract bars over 10 days(350k bars) - that might be the problem, but I need it for trading. (until I find a better way), the rest are small basic charts. I went back to beta2 for now.
I'll leave the ver6 final ver on my Windows7 laptop machine and see if it keeps working, if so , I may have to change to windows7 on my trading machine.
Steve
Last edited by sptrader on 02 Aug 2010, edited 1 time in total.

janus

Postby janus » 02 Aug 2010

There are several versioning techniques. The one used here is not only confusing but also wrong. The simplest is to follow the major_revision.minor_revision.pre-release_revision sequence. Here the beta 1 version would be 6.0.1, beta 2 would be 6.0.2, etc. The first official release would be 6.1.1, the next minor fix would 6.1.2, etc, the next major fix release would be 6.2.1, etc. There are other versioning standards. If one is to use the word beta in the versioning, it would be better to use 6.0.1beta for the first one, 6.0.2beta for the second, etc. Then the first official release would be 6.1.1, etc.

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 02 Aug 2010

Steve,

Really?....wow. I don't use indicators - but would not have thought they could be an issue. Maybe the bar type requires being formed from ticks? Might be worth seeing what happens to resources with indi's on and off and then maybe a minute bar for 243 days to see if it impacts resources. Thinking about it...By "feel" the equivalent to a years worth of 1 min bars would take some time to load for sure. What data feed? I am running IQ at this time. I can run it on mine and tell you waaaaa happens.

Don
Don: I don't use automated strategies (yet) but I do have one chart that takes time to calculate a few indicators, it's an ESU0 25 contract bars over 10 days(350k bars) - that might be the problem, but I need it for trading. (until I find a better way), the rest are small basic charts. I went back to beta2 for now.
I'll leave the ver6 final ver on my Windows7 laptop machine and see if it keeps working, if so , I may have to change to windows7 on my trading machine.
Steve

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 03 Aug 2010

Attachments:
MC_Memory Error.jpg [21.11 KiB]
Downloaded 10 times

MC_Error_Quad.jpg [95.65 KiB]
Downloaded 7 times

Dear sptrader,

Could you please repost the screenshots? Because they cannot be open for some reason. Also, the engineers ask you to send us your workspaces so we can reproduce the problem on our end. Please send them to dmasalov@multicharts.com if you can.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 03 Aug 2010

I already went back to beta2 on my trading machine but here are the error message and memory usage on XP sp3, several others have also reported the same memory error (with beta4), so it's not just me.
Just create a 25 contract bar chart of ESU0 for maybe 30 to 50 days, add a couple of basic indicators(momentum, rsi etc) and see what happens in RT. (it took a couple hours before the memory error appeared.)
Attachments
MC_Memory Error.jpg
(21.11 KiB) Downloaded 2793 times
MC_Error_Quad.jpg
(95.65 KiB) Downloaded 2776 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 04 Aug 2010

Hi,

With the Multichart 6.0 official release :

When I request Bid Ask Tic from IB,

I get the following error message :

1/ "Historical Data request pacing violation",

2/ then I stop to get data for 8 min,

3/ then it start to get the next data again

(Please look to the attachment....)

(I got the same error with multichart 5.5.)

The only way I found to cut short the 8 min was to restart IB, then quotemanager reconnect IB, start to get data again immediately

Is there a way to reduce the 8 min ? without restarting IB ?

I just wanted to let you know about this error message.
As long as I receive the data, this is not an urgent mater.
Dear Emmanuel,

IB provides data part by part (1 day for minute and tick resolution). So the only way to avoid "pacing violation" is to not request more than 1 day of ticks and minutes at a time. Also we do not recommend you to reload the charts too often.

Dave Masalov

Two new forex data feeds were added to MC: Dukascopy and PFGBest, which is really addvaluing the platform and potentially can bring in new customers.

This link https://www.multicharts.com/market-data-feeds/ says there is no history for both Dukascopy and PFGBest data feeds.

Let's assume:

Will the 30 minute break be backfilled with Duka or PFG data in MC or will there be a gap? Does ''no history'' means no backfilling?

Let's assume:

Dear Tresor,

Yes, unfortunately ''no history'' means no backfilling.

Dave Masalov

Studies created in TS 8.8 can't be opened in PowerLanguage editor, something missed out in official release.
Dear SUPER,

Could you please send the archive with this study which cannot be opened in MC to dmasalov@multicharts.com?

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 04 Aug 2010

Dear SUPER,

Could you please send the archive with this study which cannot be opened in MC to dmasalov@multicharts.com?

Dave,

Just e-mailed you a sample indicator.

Regards
Super

gadol

Postby gadol » 04 Aug 2010

I'm very disappointed with the MC6.0.
close of data2 is not equal to the last of date2.
intrabarpersist MarketPosition_at_Broker - behaves differently than in MC5.5 - in my opinion wrong and I do not have more time to rewrite codes. Download speed from the IB is less than MC5.5 - "Pace violation" error occurs faster than mc5.5.

janus

Postby janus » 04 Aug 2010

intrabarpersist MarketPosition_at_Broker - behaves differently than in MC5.5
I always assumed that close is the same as last regardless of whether IOG is turned on or not. I've noticed recently, at least with IOG on, that sometimes they are not the same.

Can you please expand on the issue you are having with Intrabarpersist MarketPosition_at_Broker? I use it a lot.

Spaceant

Postby Spaceant » 05 Aug 2010

I always assumed that close is the same as last regardless of whether IOG is turned on or not. I've noticed recently, at least with IOG on, that sometimes they are not the same.
Can you tell us what is the difference between the two? ..... I didn't and don't notice that there is a difference.

janus

Postby janus » 05 Aug 2010

Can you tell us what is the difference between the two? ..... I didn't and don't notice that there is a difference.
In a test study for the FTSE I see the following:

Signal close & last: 5369.00 5368.50
Signal close & last: 5368.00 5368.50
Signal close & last: 5370.00 5368.50
Signal close & last: 5368.50 5368.50
Signal close & last: 5368.50 5368.00
Signal close & last: 5369.00 5368.00
Signal close & last: 5369.00 5369.00
Signal close & last: 5369.00 5369.00

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 05 Aug 2010

intrabarpersist MarketPosition_at_Broker - behaves differently than in MC5.5
always assumed that close is the same as last regardless of whether IOG is turned on or not. I've noticed recently, at least with IOG on, that sometimes they are not the same.
Dear Sirs,

Could you please send your workspaces and studies to dmasalov@multicharts.com for the investigation of the issues?

gadol

Postby gadol » 05 Aug 2010

close data2 must be equal to last date2 - in order to analyze the spread, ratio and build Composit index.Nobody notice the difference if the close date2 and last date2 will be in a tick resolution, but if the ratio or the more complex statistical
equation, results are not acceptable .
For example, we have spread
value1 = close data1/(close data2 + close data3);
Close date1 is the last bar on the chart, but close data2 or close data3 is a former bar that is complete, so "close date2 'is not equal to ' last date2" or "close data3 <> last data3" .
You can check the differences in the daily chart.
intrabarpersist MarketPosition_at_Broker should be equal intrabarpersist marketpositio (0) - it is in the dictionary and this is in the MC5.5.

janus

Postby janus » 05 Aug 2010

intrabarpersist MarketPosition_at_Broker should be equal intrabarpersist marketpositio (0) - it is in the dictionary and this is in the MC5.5.
This has been discussed elsewhere and TSS have stated the documentation was wrong, and that MarketPosition_at_Broker will not be changed.

aljafp

Postby aljafp » 05 Aug 2010

I'm very disappointed with the MC6.0.
intrabarpersist MarketPosition_at_Broker - behaves differently than in MC5.5 - in my opinion wrong and I do not have more time to rewrite codes. Download speed from the IB is less than MC5.5 - "Pace violation" error occurs faster than mc5.5.
Hmm.... i wonder why "Pace violation" error occurs faster than mc5.5.

I don't think IB change any of their policies on their end.

If this is true, then it is SILLY that a newer version of MC is in fact inferior to previous versions.

I use a lot of IB data, so this is a disincentive for me to upgrade from 5.5

Nick

Postby Nick » 06 Aug 2010

Hmm.... i wonder why "Pace violation" error occurs faster than mc5.5.

I don't think IB change any of their policies on their end.
Indeed. If this is the case it would seem that 6.0 requests more data (or requests it in a different way) for some reason (thus causing pacing violations sooner). As you say the algorithm that IB used to restrict data is constant. It used to be that to maintain maximum data throughput it was better for the application to restrict itself before IB throttled you but I don't think MC has ever done that.

sitney11

Postby sitney11 » 08 Aug 2010

can someone help me "roll-back" to the beta version? my 6.0 full version isn't handling orders correctly with trading technologies and its effectively brought my trading to a halt.

double clicking on the 6.0 beta install file won't allow me to install over the existing files because the full version is newer.

any tips or tricks on how to roll back without having to wipe out my install completely and reinstall beta?

thanks in advance!

TJ

Postby TJ » 08 Aug 2010

can someone help me "roll-back" to the beta version? my 6.0 full version isn't handling orders correctly with trading technologies and its effectively brought my trading to a halt.

double clicking on the 6.0 beta install file won't allow me to install over the existing files because the full version is newer.

any tips or tricks on how to roll back without having to wipe out my install completely and reinstall beta?

thanks in advance!
make a back up, de-install MC, then re-install.

make sure you read the de-install questions properly, so that you do not erase your data, indicators and wsp.

read the 2nd post for back up instruction:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6845

sitney11

Postby sitney11 » 08 Aug 2010

TJ, it WORKED!! THANK YOU!!! :D :D :D :D

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 10 Aug 2010

close data2 must be equal to last date2 - in order to analyze the spread, ratio and build Composit index.Nobody notice the difference if the close date2 and last date2 will be in a tick resolution, but if the ratio or the more complex statistical
equation, results are not acceptable .
For example, we have spread
value1 = close data1/(close data2 + close data3);
Close date1 is the last bar on the chart, but close data2 or close data3 is a former bar that is complete, so "close date2 'is not equal to ' last date2" or "close data3 <> last data3" .
You can check the differences in the daily chart.
Dear gadol,

Our engineers are currently working on this problem.

ctrlbrk

Postby ctrlbrk » 14 Aug 2010

Using 6.0 build 3553. Help -> Check for updates says I am currently using the latest version of MultiCharts.

6.01 is available for download on the site.

Mike

Return to “MultiCharts”