Bloomberg is no longer working in 6.0 final

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bibulous

Bloomberg is no longer working in 6.0 final

Postby bibulous » 02 Aug 2010

Hi,

the Bloomberg data feed does not work anymore with 6.0 final. It says it could not load the data feed. This used to work in the beta 4.

Marc

Dave Masalov

Re: Bloomberg is no longer working in 6.0 final

Postby Dave Masalov » 02 Aug 2010

Dear Marc,

Bloomberg data feed is now available only in the Pro version of MultiCharts: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... omparison/

bibulous

Postby bibulous » 02 Aug 2010

Bummer!

Thanks,
Marc

smashthepound

Postby smashthepound » 02 Aug 2010

Dave:

The price difference between the PRO version and the standard MC version is quite high given the fact that the difference is only support, a minor difference of the Portfolio backtester and BLP connectivity. Or is there any other difference I am not aware of?

regards

Tobias

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 02 Aug 2010

Dear Tobias,

There will be changes made to the MC PRO version, as we expand its functionality and add new data feeds. As time goes on, we will be introducing features that are needed for professional traders and institutions, and listening to feedback regarding users' needs. We are also planning to add more data feeds and brokers, such as Reuters-Thompson, only for the PRO version.

smashthepound

Postby smashthepound » 02 Aug 2010

Thanks Dave. Please ensure that MC users are aware of the difference. For some of them a switch to the Pro version might make sense if the functionality is increased. Otherwise BLP users will just stick with v5.5 or one of the beta 6 versions.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 02 Aug 2010

Dear Tobias,

There will be changes made to the MC PRO version, as we expand its functionality and add new data feeds. As time goes on, we will be introducing features that are needed for professional traders and institutions
Out of curiosity, what features are needed for professional traders (that non-professional traders will not find interesting)?

smashthepound

Postby smashthepound » 03 Aug 2010

Tresor:

We had the same thought 8)

I worked for 12 years in alternative asset management and treasury. Maybe I am still "unprofessionel" because I do not want to buy the PRO version at the moment.

I have some idea's mostly linked to the portfolio backtester. You should have a look at RINA's Portfolio Maestro. It would be nice to have some of this features in MC as well.

The problem I see is that the standard software for Quant's in Investment Banks and Asset Managment are tool's like Mathlab. Technical Analyst's will choose platforms like MC, because of independence from data providers. And for the rest on the trading floor the technical analysis tools provided in Reuters and Bloomberg offer enough functionality...

If MC want's to sell a PRO version at USD 9'900 they first need to build in a lot of functionality which the standard MC does not have (I wonder what the standard MC user will think :shock: ). Second they need a lot of traders who's trading style is based mostly on technical analysis and who see benefit from the PRO version to make the institutional business profitable.

MC should focus on development on the standard version and increase the price. They could also charge some fee's for major updates or make some money from the portfolio backtester (once they have increased functionality) if they really need to.

For institutional customers they should offer
- unlimited support with technical issues and some support with strategy development
- and they should offer a connectivity toolbox for professional traders where you can choose what you need and do not have to buy everything. This would help them to see what Institionals mostly want. They can make immediately money form the Bloomberg link and they will get to know their customer base much better.

regards

Tobias

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 03 Aug 2010

MC should focus on development on the standard version and increase the price.
I agree.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 03 Aug 2010

I just had a look at some of the ''professional'' platforms for institutional traders. There are a number of bells and whistles in these platforms, but generally I was not floored...

Video demonstrations are available from Barclays Capital: http://www.barx.com/demos/index.html

The only true functionalities that MC visibly lacks when compared to professional and retail platforms are:
(i) manual order entries and manual trade management, and
(ii) multi-display support (the multi-display support we have now in MC is pretty much a non-support, compared to, e.g. TS).

The rest of functionalities, like matrix, middle office (reporting), voice trades, etc. may be nice but not worth the money paid for ''pro'' applications, in my opinion.

aljafp

Postby aljafp » 04 Aug 2010

Bloomberg connection has been available to all MC users for some time.

IT is NOT RIGHT that Tssupport unilaterally decided to make this feature unavailable to us without any notice at all.

As part of the purchase contract, what ever has been made available in previous standard versions should continue to be available even when MC releases new editions. You can add new functionalities in new editions, i have no issues with that.

What if in future TSsupport decides unilaterally remove more functionalities from the standard versions unannounced ?

smashthepound

Postby smashthepound » 04 Aug 2010

With regards to connectivity what they should add in case it is not yet build in is fixprotocol (http://www.fixprotocol.org/). This is all what you need. This is becoming the industry standard (http://www.fixprotocol.org/adopters/18)

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 04 Aug 2010

IT is NOT RIGHT that Tssupport unilaterally decided to make this feature unavailable to us without any notice at all.
I agree. Each of us bought MC for a number of reasons. My motivation to buy MC life licence was that I thought I would have (i) ASCII file data feed and (ii) multicore optimization for the end of my life.

How would I feel if TSS decided that I should no longer have access to ASCII data feed and multicore optimization unless I pay additional few thousand bucks?

Bibulous' and other folks' motivation to purchase MC might have been Bloomberg data feed for the end of their life.

I do not even try to imagine how they must feel now...

Tresor

With regards to connectivity what they should add in case it is not yet build in is fixprotocol (http://www.fixprotocol.org/). This is all what you need. This is becoming the industry standard (http://www.fixprotocol.org/adopters/18)
MC's integration with Dukascopy and PFG (both price feed and order execution) is based on fix protocol.

bibulous

Postby bibulous » 04 Aug 2010

Bibulous' and other folks' motivation to purchase MC might have been Bloomberg data feed for the end of their life.

I do not even try to imagine how they must feel now...
taken for a ride

Tresor

During the last few months there were a number of posts by TSS that, if read in between verses, could indicate that big (positive) changes were coming to MC. One could almost sense that TSS worked very hard on some kind of a smart development plan (Andrew became a scarce asset on the Forum). We still do not see the big picture of the plan but we hope the plan was well thought and will bring in expected results.

It seems TSS worked and will work very hard:
- manual trading will be introduced this year;
- a 64-bit MC will probably be launched this year;
- the look of the website and the forum changed a few days ago (BTW, the website lacks horizontal centring);
- MC logo was changed;
- in this thread we found out that there would be a more distinct separation between MC Standard and MC Pro;
- in this thread we found out that more brokers will be supported;
- the number of announcements accelerates.

When a company or its product undergoes rapid and profound changes (which I hope is the case here), there will ALWAYS be unintentional fuck-ups.

And I hope Bloomberg data feed issue is an unintentional one. My guess is someone at TSS simply forgot that there maybe 2 or 3 non-pro MC users who use this data feed.

I think that Bibulous' case can be resolved to his satisfaction in a number of ways:
(i) make him pay a symbolic $1 for the pro licence or
(ii) send him Bloomberg dll every time a new MC version shows up
(iii) ....... something else ..........
so that the resolution of Bibulous' case does not disrupt the new development plan by TSS - as soon as TSS manages the mess resulting from the positive changes they have been introducing, which may of course take a few days.

Regards

aljafp

Postby aljafp » 05 Aug 2010

During the last few months there were a number of posts by TSS that, if read in between verses, could indicate that big (positive) changes were coming to MC. One could almost sense that TSS worked very hard on some kind of a smart development plan (Andrew became a scarce asset on the Forum). We still do not see the big picture of the plan but we hope the plan was well thought and will bring in expected results.

It seems TSS worked and will work very hard:
- manual trading will be introduced this year;
- a 64-bit MC will probably be launched this year;
- the look of the website and the forum changed a few days ago (BTW, the website lacks horizontal centring);
- MC logo was changed;
- in this thread we found out that there would be a more distinct separation between MC Standard and MC Pro;
- in this thread we found out that more brokers will be supported;
- the number of announcements accelerates.

When a company or its product undergoes rapid and profound changes (which I hope is the case here), there will ALWAYS be unintentional fuck-ups.

And I hope Bloomberg data feed issue is an unintentional one. My guess is someone at TSS simply forgot that there maybe 2 or 3 non-pro MC users who use this data feed.

I think that Bibulous' case can be resolved to his satisfaction in a number of ways:
(i) make him pay a symbolic $1 for the pro licence or
(ii) send him Bloomberg dll every time a new MC version shows up
(iii) ....... something else ..........
so that the resolution of Bibulous' case does not disrupt the new development plan by TSS - as soon as TSS manages the mess resulting from the positive changes they have been introducing, which may of course take a few days.

Regards
I don't think that Bibulous is the only person short changed.

I for one, was considering using MC with Bloomberg.
Bloomberg support was one of the reasons why i was glad i owned MC.

What if in future Tssupport suddenly decides that Patsystems and TT connection will also only be available in the pro version ?

ALL USERS should think, what if in future Tssupport suddenly decides to unilaterally remove a feature that you have been using in the standard version?
This sets a very very bad precedent.

Whatever features that were previously available to Standard users should continue and not removed as and when Tssupport feels like it.

I think Tssupport is a great company with a great product.
But you simply cannot run a business this way.

smashthepound

Postby smashthepound » 05 Aug 2010

I have been using Bloomberg in the past too.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 09 Aug 2010

Dear Sirs,

When we made MultiCharts 5.5 Gold, we were planning to make upgrades chargeable. Later on we changed our minds. The upgrades are free now. However, there are some features available only in the Pro version. Bloomberg data feed is one of them. It is used mainly by institutional customers and we think that customers, ready to pay 2000 dollars per month (single PC) for Bloomberg subscription, can afford MultiCharts Pro. If you don't like this policy, you may still use old versions, but you won't have access to our new features.

elindydotcom

Postby elindydotcom » 09 Aug 2010

To TSSupport:

The users that purchased the lifetime license of MC with supposed free upgrades did so with the the understanding that features would be added, not removed. By removing the Bloomberg option and making it available for a higher price - that's slimy and downright unethical. I don't care what your reasons are, that's just plain wrong. If you have to remove a feature, then remove it across all versions but don't tell me that an upgrade that I supposedly got for free now costs more because you decided that a feature should only be available to those willing to pay more. You made a promise when you sold a lifetime license with free upgrades - you don't get to go back on your word without negative consequences to your business.

It's a good thing your corporate offices are not in the US and that not a lot of people use the Bloomberg feed. Otherwise, you'd most likely be staring down the business end of a lawsuit from a group irate users that purchased the lifetime license.

-eLindy

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 11 Aug 2010

Dear -eLindy,

1. From a legal point of view, we are free to change future versions at will. You buy what you test for 30 days, and you have a right to use it. Bloomberg is available in version 5.5 - you are free to continue using that version if you purchased it. Nobody has violated your rights. Note that all of the future upgrades will include features at our sole discretion. Also, our head office is located in Columbus, and we are fully prepared to answer any legal actions.

2. From the ethical point of view, we see things in a different light. If you are paying $2000/month for Bloomberg, it means you can afford the Pro version. We prefer not to charge regular users for upgrades, and compensate that with revenue from more well-off users and companies, such as yours.

elindydotcom

Postby elindydotcom » 13 Aug 2010

Dave:

You are hiding behind the "fine print" and completely missing my point. What your users expect as they move from version to version is NEW features, not removal of existing features simply because you feel you can make more money by removing them. Yes, you are correct in that we are subjected to the whims of your decisions but in the long run, the more users realize that you are going to screw them over, the more sales you are going to lose (and you wouldn't even know that you're losing them). So what if users can afford to pay more? That is not the point. The point is that there is an expectation that you set in your marketing that is now different from the reality. The more you insist on doing stuff like this, the more people are going to get upset. I, for one, look at this situation and it's just one big additional reason for us to be very very cautious on acquiring more licenses - and I don't even use bloomberg (yet). Even TS and CQG doesn't do stuff like this. You hold yourself out to be better and more ethical than these other companies but yet you do stuff like this. So, yes, in the fine print of your license agreement you can probably do this and get away with it but that does NOT live up to the SPIRIT of the agreement, the marketing that you do and certainly does not live up to the expectation that you set with your users.

-eLindy
Dear -eLindy,

1. From a legal point of view, we are free to change future versions at will. You buy what you test for 30 days, and you have a right to use it. Bloomberg is available in version 5.5 - you are free to continue using that version if you purchased it. Nobody has violated your rights. Note that all of the future upgrades will include features at our sole discretion. Also, our head office is located in Columbus, and we are fully prepared to answer any legal actions.

2. From the ethical point of view, we see things in a different light. If you are paying $2000/month for Bloomberg, it means you can afford the Pro version. We prefer not to charge regular users for upgrades, and compensate that with revenue from more well-off users and companies, such as yours.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 15 Aug 2010

Guys:

1. Dave (who represents the company that NEEEDS to reorganize its product and its marketing to succeed in the market, make profits and make its clients happy), and

2. Bibulous, Smashthepound, Aljafp, eLindy and others (who use Bloomberg or whose motivation to purchase MC was to be able to use Bloomberg in future),

How about:
(i) Bloomberg stays in non-pro MC 32-bit indefinitely (realistically 2 - 3 years - explained below)
(ii) Bloomberg moves to pro MC 64-bit when it's released in 2011 (I think that 2010 release would be overoptimistic).

When I think of possible roadmap for MC, one is particularily attractive / sensible from MC's and users' viewpoint:

1. MC 32-bit ver. 7 is released end this year / beginning next year with manual trading and the platform will be COMPLETE.
2. If MC stuff want to show some generousity to 32-bit users, MC 32-bit ver. 8 will be released with slight improvements over ver. 7
3. 32-bit versions will continue to be supported (only debugging), but not developed (no new features will be added to MC 32-bit!
4. From now on only MC 64-bit versions will be released with new and attractive features (matrix, gpu acceleration, whatever).

If this or similar roadmap is accepted, then Bibulous and others will:

a) make a well-thought decision whether to switch to (i) a feature-rich 64-bit pro and pay more for the luxury of having Bloomberg or to switch to MC 64-bit standard without Bloomberg, or to (ii) stay with feature-poor standard 32-bit version with Bloomberg, and

b) have to switch to MC 64-bit eventually given the trend acceleration in 64-bit OS installations: http://www.fudzilla.com/home/news/lates ... are-64-bit - already half of Vista7 installations are 64-bit and this trend accelerates. Bibulous will eventually have to buy a new computer within two - three years time (only 64-bit OS will be available) - that's why the used word ''indifinitely'' meant in fact 2 - 3 years.

Dave, resolving problems by unilateral decisions that are ethically doubtfull only works for short period of time,i.e. you will repair a once badly taken decision to offer Bloomberg in a standard version, but in the long run you'll end up with people writting gibberish on trading forums.

Guys who purchased MC standard because of Bloomberg data feed, it is obvious that MC decision to move Bloomberg to a pro version has nothing to do with trying to screw you financially. The company only wants to clean its operations.

The solution? As suggested above:

Clients will have Bloomberg in 32-bit version untill 32-bit OS dies (clients were promised Bloomberg in a 32-bit version, noone mentioned a 64-bit version).

MC will have a clean division between a standard version and a pro version starting from year 2011 in a product that has future, i.e. MC 64-bit.

As any compromise, this would not be a perfect one.

Dave, do you think you could find a minute or two to present this solution to the management?

Guys, if MC management is willing to accept this compromise, would you accept it as well?

elindydotcom

Postby elindydotcom » 16 Aug 2010

Hi Tresor:

It's really great of you to try to offer up a solution to managment to deal with this issue. But, truth be told, personally, I have no need right now for the bloomberg datafeed. I am primarily concerned with the precedent being set. For example, who's to say that in the next version, Portfolio Testing isn't completely taken out and priced separately? MC management is marketing one thing and doing something else while hiding behind the fine print on a shrink-wrap license. I already had reasons to take a wait-and-see approach with things like TT compability being broken in the MC 6.0 final release. This issue simply adds substantially to the reason to wait and see what they will do in the future. For me, a reversal of this move and a written commitment on this forum to honor their marketing promises to existing lifetime licensees are the only actions that will remove my anxiety over this issue. If for some reason I feel the need to get more licenses now (doubtful), I would use the lease option since that seems to give a better shot at getting all the features of upgrades as they are released. The lifetime license makes no sense to me since you aren't guaranteed access to all features as they are released.

-eLindy

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 16 Aug 2010

Hi Tresor:

It's really great of you to try to offer up a solution to managment to deal with this issue.
I am also offering this solution for ''Bloomberg guys''. We have a case that needs to be settled somehow.

If this (imperfect) solution is good, it will be accepted by both parties - I am aware that if this be the case nobody is going to be 100% happy. C'est la vie.

If I were a ''Bloomberg guy'' like you I would accept it (if TSS accepts it as well).

aljafp

Postby aljafp » 16 Aug 2010

Tresor, i appreciate your efforts in putting forward a solution.

The issue is NOT merely about Bloomberg datafeed.

Its about how Tssupport runs its business and how it treats existing customers.
ALL users whether you use Bloomberg or not, should be VERY CONCERN.

1. This sets a bad precedent. Tssupport's logic that because someone can pay $2000 for bloomberg means he should pay more for his MC license now is warped.
So if in future TT or Patsystems or even IB API trading or any other datafeed vendor decides to charge customers over X dollars, Tssupport can use the same logic and move the feature out of standard versions into the pro version.

2. As i understand from reading other user's posts, Bloomberg connection was available up till the last beta release. Then it is suddenly remove from the final version. This to me seems like haphazard planning.

In addition it is also bad marketing. Potential users evaluating MC versus other products cannot be assured that the features that makes MC more attractive now will continue to be available after making the purchase.

As of now, even though i have thousands of line of MC code, i have stopped developing new strategies in MC and am using another product for new stuffs.
I wouldn't say the other product is definitely superior to MC, but i feel more assured with the way the company runs its business.
Sadly too, i wouldn't recommend MC to my fellow traders if they asked me for opinions.

A successful software company is more than just about building a technically superior product.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 17 Aug 2010

Dear Sirs,

Our decision to make Bloomberg data feed a part of MultiCharts PRO is final and not negociable. We appreciate your comments, but our marketing policy in this case is a well thought step and is not a subject of discussion. As we already told you, we believe that Bloomberg data feed, which is used by institutional customers and wealthy individual traders, should be a part of MultiCharts PRO.

Dear -eLindy,

When you are talking about TS, please do not forget that when they made TS 2000i (which is basically TS 5), the functionality was changed from TS 4 and the users had to pay for this change. The same with the transition from TS 2000i to TS 6.

Please do not be mistaken, thinking of MC 5.5 and MC 6.0 as of the same product. Every major release is a different product with new functionality. You pay for what you get.

Thus, let's finish the discussion on this subject.

elindydotcom

Postby elindydotcom » 17 Aug 2010

Dave:

TS did not promise users that they would get all future functionality for free. And, even if they did, why would you want to follow in their footsteps and backtrack on your word? You marketed your company and the product as being better. Instead, it turns out that you are going down a road that will make you worse than they are. Good luck with that.

-eLindy

PS: I don't care about your marketing policy. You promised one thing to the life-time clients and delivering something else. That's all I care about. You lied - plain and simple - and now you're hiding behind the "we can do anything we want and could care less about you" fine print.
Dear Sirs,

Our decision to make Bloomberg data feed a part of MultiCharts PRO is final and not negociable. We appreciate your comments, but our marketing policy in this case is a well thought step and is not a subject of discussion. As we already told you, we believe that Bloomberg data feed, which is used by institutional customers and wealthy individual traders, should be a part of MultiCharts PRO.

Dear -eLindy,

When you are talking about TS, please do not forget that when they made TS 2000i (which is basically TS 5), the functionality was changed from TS 4 and the users had to pay for this change. The same with the transition from TS 2000i to TS 6.

Please do not be mistaken, thinking of MC 5.5 and MC 6.0 as of the same product. Every major release is a different product with new functionality. You pay for what you get.

Thus, let's finish the discussion on this subject.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 18 Aug 2010

-eLindy,

Next time you will allow yourself unappealable accusations on our Forum, You will be simply banned. If You have claims, produce them through the courts. Otherwise, we will treat this as an attempt to discredit the company based on Your opinion rather than facts. You have problems with logic and therefore it makes no sense to continue the discussion with You. If You think it over again, you will understand that no one has ever lied to You. No one in this company has ever promised that You will get “all future functionality for free”. This is simply not possible since the products are constantly changing, something goes and something new comes. What you say in a very unpleasant tone is a product of your assumptions. We keep our promises and You just like all other users can download new versions of our products for free. However, we can and we will change the functionality of our products in the future, as all companies all over the world do. If you do not understand that, then it is not worth wasting our time.

Return to “MultiCharts”