Warning Message "PC is running out of memory"

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
ilt000

Warning Message "PC is running out of memory"

Postby ilt000 » 13 Sep 2010

Dear Support,

I've just updated form MC 6.0 to MC 6.1 and now MC gives me this warning :"Your Pc is running out of memory".
I'm always using the same workspace as before and form the Task Manager there are no issues that my pc is running out of memory (2.8giga used on a total of 6giga).
My workstation is a HP quad-core with Win7 and 6giga of RAM.

In attach you can see the message and my task manager, with Multicharts using 357,000KB of memory.
Where is the problem?

Thank you for the support
Attachments
Out of memory2.jpg
(360.93 KiB) Downloaded 987 times
Out of memory.jpg
(427.97 KiB) Downloaded 975 times

jek

Re: Warning Message "PC is running out of memory"

Postby jek » 13 Sep 2010

Same for me.

I know this is listed as a feature in the release notes, but it seems there ought to be a way to control the threshold of notice on 64 bit machines with lots of memory.

Yes, I know that MC runs each process as a 32 bit process, but they should be able to use up to 3GB (true?) per process to the total of the real memory.

So it seems reasonable to be able to set this higher for a machine, true?

tcat

Postby tcat » 14 Sep 2010

You may want to check the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7669

ilt000

Postby ilt000 » 14 Sep 2010

Thank you tcat, very usefull.

ilt000

Postby ilt000 » 14 Sep 2010

I don't know if it is possible to allocate 3 giga to a 32bit process, but someone knows if can we lunch 2 copies of MC (2 process of 2 giga ) in order to find a workaround to this virtual memory "limit"?

thx

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 14 Sep 2010

Dear ilt000,

If the most of the memory is consumed by the multicharts.exe process, then running multiple instances of MC will help you. However, if it is tsserver.exe which consumes the memory, there is no point in running multiple instances.

ilt000

Postby ilt000 » 15 Sep 2010

Thank you Dave,

Yes, I've checked with Process Explorer in order to see the virtual memory consumed by the process and I've got Multicharts.exe always near to 1giga.

Do you think is it better to run another Multicharts.exe process or gave more memory to the only one Multicharts.exe process with a largeaddressaware?

Thank you

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 15 Sep 2010

Dear ilt000,

It is better to to run another Multicharts.exe process.

janus

Postby janus » 16 Sep 2010

It's often said that MC displays the "out of memory" message when it reaches around 1.5 GB. I've always seen the message appear well below that threshold - often around half that. It's a bit silly since even with 32 bit PC, it should be a lot better than that. Remember virtual memory can exceed the physical memory, although things will slow down significantly due to page faulting. The 32-bit limit restricts the address space of windows processes to 2 GB by default, which can be extended up to 3 GB using appropriate switches in the boot.ini file. So, I don't understand why MC gives up well below these limits.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 22 Sep 2010

Dear janus,

When the memory consumption goes higher 1.6 GB, the application may behave incorrectly, that is why we have introduced this warning message. If you extend the address space of windows processes to 3 GB using switches in the boot.ini file, it will not affect MC performance. To make MultiCharts take advantage of this enhanced 3 GB limitation, you need to recompile it. Basically we will nee to create a special version of the program, like the version for a different OS.

Again, all the problems related to 2GB limitation of 32 bit processes will be solved once MultiCharts transitions to 64 bits.

Return to “MultiCharts”