copy MC6 to another pc

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
pablo gonzalez vidal

copy MC6 to another pc

Postby pablo gonzalez vidal » 03 Nov 2010

Is it possible to copy MC6 to another pc incluiding symbol dictionary, strategies, workspaces, exchanges, sessions, and etc?

I knew how to do with previous version but the folders have changed and it doesn't work any more.

Thanks

Anastassia

Re: copy MC6 to another pc

Postby Anastassia » 03 Nov 2010

Hi pablo gonzalez vidal,

Nothing has changed from the previous versions. You should be able to copy MC to another pc using the same instructions. Please find them below:

~~~~
To save your strategies, workspaces and MC parameters follow the instructions.

1. To save your techniques (indicators, signals, functions)
-run PowerLanguage Editor
-choose File=>Export
-select options: Function, Indicator, Signal
-click Select all in the bottom left corner
-click ok, choose folder and the name of file for archive of all techniques (for example archive_all_studies)
-later on this file is supposed to end up in the new computer
Note: Add-ons that you have purchased from a 3rd party cannot be saved this way. Probably you will need to contact sellers to ask for details.

2. To save data base
-click Start
-choose Run
- If you have Vista Operating System paste the following command "%allusersprofile%\TS Support\MultiCharts" (along with the quotes);
If you have Windows XP Operating System paste the other command "%allusersprofile%\Application Data\TS Support\MultiCharts" (again along with quotes)
- in the appeared window find DataBase folder and make a copy of it and of all files from the folder
- this folder, with all of the content, is supposed to end up in your new computer.

3. To save WorkSpaces
- you can save them just like any other document
-just remember the name of the files you save your WS to
-in the future those files are supposed to end up in the new computer

4. To save study templates (if used)
-click Start
-Choose Run
-paste a command (same for Vista and XP) "%userprofile%\Application Data\TS Support\MultiCharts" (along with quotes)
- save all *.tml files
-those files are supposed to end up in your new computer
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After initialization of your new computer

1. install MC

2. to restore your techniques
-run PL
-choose File=>Import, and select file with archives of all techniques (for example archive_all_studies)
-select Function, Indicator, and Signal options
-click select in the low left corner and turn on Compile on import option
-click ok
-if dialog "Confirm" appears, click "Yes to All"

3. to replace data base files
-close MC Portfolio Backtester and QuoteManager
-click Start
-choose Run
-paste the command "%allusersprofile%\TS Support\MultiCharts" (along with quotes) for Vista
-and "%allusersprofile%\Application Data\TS Support\MultiCharts" for XP
-in the appeared window find DataBase folder and replace it and all of its content with a DataBase folder you saved from the old computer.

4. To restore your Study Templates

-click start
-choose Run
-Enter command "%userprofile%\Application Data\TS Support\MultiCharts" (along with quotes) same for Vista and XP
- in the appeared window place *.tml files from old computer
You can also transfer Study Server Folder from OS1 to OS2

~~~~
Carefully follow the instructions and let me know if it works.
Thank you

rondot samuel ws

Postby rondot samuel ws » 04 Nov 2010

Hi,

it should be great if you add the option to Backup / restore and to choose which elements (code, data, etc) and the possibility to schedule it

regards

Laurent

pablo gonzalez vidal

Postby pablo gonzalez vidal » 04 Nov 2010

Hi,

it should be great if you add the option to Backup / restore and to choose which elements (code, data, etc) and the possibility to schedule it

regards

Laurent

Strongly agree!!

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 04 Nov 2010

Dear Sirs,

Your suggestions have been forwarded to the developers.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 04 Nov 2010

Hi,

regards

Laurent
***That's EXACTLY what I was going to suggest, after reading the tedious and time consuming procedure, to backup and restore everything. Giving us the option to backup-restore parts or all items would be great, as well as to be able to schedule it.
- I'd also like to give the user the option to chose the desired backup-restore location.
GREAT Suggestion !!!

rondot samuel ws

Postby rondot samuel ws » 15 Nov 2010

Dear Sirs,

Your suggestions have been forwarded to the developers.
hope this time they will do it
viewtopic.php?t=6869

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 23 May 2011

I think an backup and restore utility for MultiCharts is very important, so that we can get MC up and running in very little time if we experienced some severe technical or software issues. If you agree, please vote for the issue (https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... e_no=MC-65) so that it will receive more priority. In the meantime:
~~~~
To save your strategies, workspaces and MC parameters follow the instructions.
1. To save your techniques (indicators, signals, functions)
-run PowerLanguage Editor
-choose File=>Export
-select options: Function, Indicator, Signal
-click Select all in the bottom left corner
-click ok, choose folder and the name of file for archive of all techniques (for example archive_all_studies)
-later on this file is supposed to end up in the new computer
Note: Add-ons that you have purchased from a 3rd party cannot be saved this way. Probably you will need to contact sellers to ask for details.
Would a restoration of MC also work when the C:\ProgramData\TS Support\MultiCharts\StudyServer\Studies\SrcEl folder is copied or backup-ed (and then manually placed in the new MC directory) or would that result in corrupted files?

Regards,

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 23 May 2011

Dear Josh,

I would advise using a professional product, such as Acronis (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/pr ... index.html), for your backups. I believe they allow you to create images of your disks, and also do one-button backups. Currently, MultiCharts allows you to backup your QuoteManager -> go to QuoteManager > File > Export Data > Export All instruments. This will create a QMD file that you can take to another computer and import there. It's more meant for transferring your QM to another computer for easier syncing, than it is for backing up purposes.

rondot samuel ws

Postby rondot samuel ws » 23 May 2011

Dear Josh,

I would advise using a professional product, such as Acronis (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/pr ... index.html), for your backups. I believe they allow you to create images of your disks, and also do one-button backups. Currently, MultiCharts allows you to backup your QuoteManager -> go to QuoteManager > File > Export Data > Export All instruments. This will create a QMD file that you can take to another computer and import there. It's more meant for transferring your QM to another computer for easier syncing, than it is for backing up purposes.
Yes, but Acronis make a full backup of the computer. If I have a problem with MC, i don't want to restore all the hard disk.

A backup for MC concern not only data in Quote Manager, but workspaces, indicator, signal , etc

So MC need a backup feature

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 23 May 2011

Dear Josh,

Yes, but Acronis make a full backup of the computer. If I have a problem with MC, i don't want to restore all the hard disk.

A backup for MC concern not only data in Quote Manager, but workspaces, indicator, signal , etc

Dear rondot samuel ws,

Acronis has a number of features.... not only image backups. Here is a link to their KB article "Difference between File Backups and Disk/Partition Images" - http://kb.acronis.com/content/13474

In short, you can save your workspaces, export your studies, export the data to one location and then back it up manually. Or, you can manually copy all of the necessary MC folders (i.e. StudyServer and Databases) to back them up. Or you can have other software do it automatically.

rondot samuel ws

Postby rondot samuel ws » 24 May 2011

Dear Josh,

Dear rondot samuel ws,

Acronis has a number of features.... not only image backups. Here is a link to their KB article "Difference between File Backups and Disk/Partition Images" - http://kb.acronis.com/content/13474

In short, you can save your workspaces, export your studies, export the data to one location and then back it up manually. Or, you can manually copy all of the necessary MC folders (i.e. StudyServer and Databases) to back them up. Or you can have other software do it automatically.
Yes but only a backup from MC allow a scheduled and automated backup which permit to backup in quote Manager:
Data and/or Symbol Dictionary and/or Custom Futures and/or Session Templates and/or Holidays and/or Expiration rules etc.

I already backup QM database and workspaces and make a manual export of Indicator and Signal in PL Editor.

But If I want to copy them in another computer, concerning Quote Manager, I can only overwrite database, not possible to import only Session templates or CustomFutures.

And this, only a good Backup / Restore in MC allow it, not Acronis or any other software.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 24 May 2011

OK, I understand. If you would like to see this feature, please make a feature request in the PM.

rondot samuel ws

Postby rondot samuel ws » 24 May 2011

OK, I understand. If you would like to see this feature, please make a feature request in the PM.
Hi,

already done
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... e_no=MC-65

viewtopic.php?t=6869
viewtopic.php?t=7913

Shaanny

Postby Shaanny » 01 Oct 2012

just remember the name of the files you save your WS to
-in the future those files are supposed to end up in the new computer

Return to “MultiCharts”