VMWARE

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Algyros

VMWARE

Postby Algyros » 20 Nov 2010

I'm planning on switching my Multicharts program from a pc to my MacBook Pro using VMWARE.

I would love to hear from others who have done this. In your experience, is it a good idea? Are there any tricks or pitfalls that I should be on the lookout for?

Also, when I transfer my MC from my PC to a virtual PC using VMWARE, do I have to transfer my license too, or does that occur as part of the VMWARE changeover process?

Thanks,
Alex

RobotMan

Re: VMWARE

Postby RobotMan » 21 Nov 2010

This might be of interest. It is from a site I highly respect. Barry switched over to a Mac from a PC a few months ago. Although he uses TS, he also highly recommends MC.
http://emini-watch.com/recommended/trad ... e-for-mac/

Hope that helps.

geizer

Re: VMWARE

Postby geizer » 22 Nov 2010

I'm planning on switching my Multicharts program from a pc to my MacBook Pro using VMWARE.

I would love to hear from others who have done this. In your experience, is it a good idea? Are there any tricks or pitfalls that I should be on the lookout for?

Also, when I transfer my MC from my PC to a virtual PC using VMWARE, do I have to transfer my license too, or does that occur as part of the VMWARE changeover process?

Thanks,
Alex
Algyros,

My experience has been positive. I traded on an older MacBook Pro (last model just before unibody version was introduced) for a few months with one external monitor connected. No hiccups or anything. This Minimalist setup had no problems.
The setup:
Windows XP installed on a BootCamp partition. Also I instructed VMWARE Fusion to use BootCamp partition for my virtual machine. All went smooth. It gets technical but you can have a nice setup if you have patience to set it up properly. I also tried to run IB Trader Worksation under Mac OS X and instructed Multicharts to connect to IB TWS at whatever IP address it had. It worked. I tested the concept and it worked fine, however t's better to run the Windows version of TWS so you always connect to it at 127.0.0.1.

The greates advantage is that there is single piece of hardware, less maintenance, and it's portable.
The performance is comparable to running Windows natively.

I also tried to run Windows XP with MultiCharts installed on a true virtual machine under Mac OS X. I noticed better performance compared to running off a BootCamp, probably because of disk access caching mechanism under OS X which might also had access to more RAM. However this was done for testing the concept. The disadvantage of this methos is obvious: you limited to virtual machine only. I prefer the BootCamp method definitely, but I no longer run VM on my Mac (built a nice PC box dedicated just for MultiCharts - six cores, fast SSD drive).

I digged the forum and found the screenshot I made in 2008 showing MultiCharts running on a MacBook Pro. The screen was made in Vmware "unity" mode, however I did not run in unity because of slower graphics performance (notice some icons artifacts). Running virtual machine in full screen is as good as running it natively.

Regarding transfering MC licence: I think that MultiCharts support team will answer this question better.

Regards,
Pavel

Return to “MultiCharts”