Problem with stop orders

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tradeprice

Problem with stop orders

Postby tradeprice » 30 Nov 2010

Hi, I have a problem with stop orders.
Let's assume we straddle price with a buy stop (1000 shares) above the high and a sell stop (1000 shares) below the low.
Now let's say the buy gets executed, then my protective stop will get placed by multicharts. That's fine so far.
However, multicharts also increases the sell stop shares from 1000 shares to 2000 shares. It kind of doesn't realize that I anyways have a protective stop. Once the stop gets hit, multicharts reduces the 2000 shares to 1000 shares again, which is then fine again.

But this increase from 1000 to 2000 shares in my sell stop order is very bothering, cause it eats up my margin until I don't have sufficient buying power available. Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Hope you guys understand what I mean.

SUPER

Re: Problem with stop orders

Postby SUPER » 30 Nov 2010

MC is working as expected, to overcome your problem you have following choice:

A) Increase your capital base or decrease your order size to fit within your margin/capital requirements. ( I am sure you already know that)
B) Hold your stop orders on your side and trasmit them when the event occurs.
C)issue - Cancel - re-issue either off the orders when they are close to your target price ( involves complex programing)

tradeprice

Postby tradeprice » 30 Nov 2010

MC is working as expected, to overcome your problem you have following choice:

A) Increase your capital base or decrease your order size to fit within your margin/capital requirements. ( I am sure you already know that)
B) Hold your stop orders on your side and trasmit them when the event occurs.
C)issue - Cancel - re-issue either off the orders when they are close to your target price ( involves complex programing)
Hi, thanks for your answer!
ad b) How can one hold the stop orders on his side (on multicharts' side)? with the intrabar order generation? or is there another way?

thanks in advance for your response!

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 01 Dec 2010

Yes, with IBOG.

Return to “MultiCharts”