MC 7.0 Pre Alpha

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Dave Masalov

MC 7.0 Pre Alpha

Postby Dave Masalov » 09 Dec 2010

Dear Sirs,

We would like to point out again that the Pre-Alpha version, which is available for closed testing, is just a raw working version, not the final one.

The purpose of this Pre-Alpha version is to get feedback from professional testers, in order to change the final version accordingly. Please keep this in mind while using and commenting on this version.

Please post your comments in this thread.

MultiCharts Team

Stanley Miller

Re: MC 7.0 Pre Alpha

Postby Stanley Miller » 09 Dec 2010

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 10 Dec 2010

Guys,

I was always happy to see new improved icons with almost each new release. It was nice.

But this time you went too far. These new baroque-style icons have no meaning. They are over-designed. They are queer.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 10 Dec 2010

How can I download MC 7.0 Pre Alpha, I would like to have a go at it too.

SP

Postby SP » 10 Dec 2010

- the DOM does sometimes not clean up complete if the close is above a traded value (see attached)
- the PNL doesnt display the correct values

wish list:
- add the ability to keep the DOM always in front
- ability to display the current settings for the exit orders in the Chart Trader under the
exit strategy symbols
- sound confirmation
- ability to use the chart trader with custom futures
Attachments
dom1.jpg
(31.6 KiB) Downloaded 8237 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 10 Dec 2010

the DOM does sometimes not clean up complete if the close is above a traded value (see attached)
Dear SP,

Please tell us what broker do you use?
Guys,

I was always happy to see new improved icons with almost each new release. It was nice.

But this time you went too far. These new baroque-style icons have no meaning. They are over-designed. They are queer.
Dear Tresor,

This is subjective. We see how the icons can be improved and we plan to do so, but generally we like them.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 10 Dec 2010

This is subjective.
Of course it is. But I happen to have some experience in logo design (however not as a graphic designer). I contributed to a number of graphic works (in terms of sign analytics, mostly semiotics) that are presented here: http://www.logolounge.com/
We see how the icons can be improved and we plan to do so, but generally we like them.
Please read my comments on the picture to see how these could be 'improved'.
Attachments
MC icons.jpg
(100.89 KiB) Downloaded 8209 times

SP

Postby SP » 10 Dec 2010

Please tell us what broker do you use?
Only tested with IB.

Found one small problem with the Quote Manager and IB for DTB/Eurex data. The Interest Futures GBL,GBS,GBM and the Swiss SMI have for all contracts and expirations the Expiration Date 01.01.2038 if you add them with "From Data Source". So a custom future doesnt plot.

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 10 Dec 2010

I have tested for a day and certainly welcome the changes and increased functionality.

The icons look great they don't distract from the charts yet are easily identifiable.

Ran into a few things that I have already submitted via bug reports.. is that the preferred method of submitting bugs? Or here?

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 11 Dec 2010

You might have noticed that traders who live in sunny regions like California or Saudi Arabia (closer to equator) will tend to have the background of their charts rather white than black. Sunny traders will be more likely to have highly contrasting colours on their monitors, like white and black. People from sunny regions even dress highly contrasting and sometimes multiple colours - look at Hawaii clothes. They are accustomed to heavy sunlight and highly contrasting colours.

Traders who live in non-sunny areas like Northern Europe (closer to poles) prefer to have dark background and non contrasting colours like pastel green for an up bar and pastel red for a down bar. The non-sunny traders' eyesight would have been killed after one day of looking at a white and black chart. It is like looking at the sun without sun glasses (monitors emit light just like sun does).

There is a trading platform called thinorswim which was developed by people from Northen Europe. Its interface is all black. A bright colour would have killed the eyesight of the developers.

The trade panel in pre-alpha is good for sunny traders. But bad for non-sunny traders. IT CONTRASTS TOO MUCH WITH CHARTS.

Solution? The trade panel should be painted the same colour as the chart's background, just like Data Window is painted the colour of the chart's background.

BTW, I am testing manual orders with OEC. OEC does not backfill forex data.
Attachments
Trade panel colour.jpg
(140.59 KiB) Downloaded 8197 times

Tresor

Before moving a scroll bar
Attachments
Before.jpg
(76.38 KiB) Downloaded 8190 times

Tresor

Hokus pokus after moving the scroll bar
Attachments
After.jpg
(106.59 KiB) Downloaded 8189 times

Tresor

Yet another hokus pokus. This time after expanding the trade bar.
Attachments
After after.jpg
(106.39 KiB) Downloaded 8166 times

Tresor

Edit:This post made no sense so I deleted it.
Last edited by Tresor on 12 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 12 Dec 2010

I totally agree with Tresor's comments with regards to the "New Icons", they definately need improvments.

Dom should have ability to remain on top at all times
+1 Support for SP's wish list.

geizer

Postby geizer » 12 Dec 2010

Shouldn't all comments and suggestions (especially critical ones) go to project management aka bug tracker from now on? I tend to think that any record made in PM is going to leave a paper trail that is unlikely go unnoticed - meaning that after the introduction of Project Management the thread called "MultiCharts General discussion" has a different meaning...

2c

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 12 Dec 2010

There are a number of traders who are happy with traditional support and resistance based stop losses and take profits. These traders will use horizontal lines as stop loss and take profit.

However, there are a number of traders (who trade geometrical patterns like Gartleys, Crabs, Pesaventos and other) who don't care for standard horizontal SLs and TPs and would like to use trendlines as stop losses and take profits as per the attached picture.

I know of only one platform that has such a functionality: http://www.whselfinvest.com/en/f_platef ... icoter.php

Having trendline exits would add-value the present capabilities of MC.
Attachments
TL StopLoss TakeProfit in MC.png
(15.27 KiB) Downloaded 8192 times

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 12 Dec 2010

I think there is room for improvement in the current layout of the trade bar that I will discuss tomorrow in more detail.

For now I attach a picture in which I outlined some of the current limitations.

One example is the amount box being too small for forex. Some forex brokers (the top one) do not accept orders in lots. Instead of selling one lot or two lots you need to sell 100,000 or 200,000. If you are a big player you may place an order for 1,000,000,000. The current amount box is too small.
Attachments
trade panel limitations.jpg
(132.36 KiB) Downloaded 8159 times

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 13 Dec 2010

MC says it is in an unauthorized state, but the green label says otherwise. No order execution is possible.

Edit: Now I now the reason; I used futures account at OEC to trade forex. I think the instrument should be somehow linked t the account or account should be linked to instrument.
Attachments
unauthorized state.JPG
(107.01 KiB) Downloaded 8145 times

Tresor

PnL window too small + there should be an icon for trade bar.
Attachments
Trade panle limitiations 2.jpg
(105.25 KiB) Downloaded 8134 times

Tresor

In previous posts I outlined a number of issues that I had with the trade panel, e.g.:
(i) too small amount box (for forex)
(ii) too small PnL box
(iii) too much unused space
(iv) bad logic adapted from NT - explained here: download/file.php?id=3198 with a draft solution here: download/file.php?id=3199

Enclosed is an initial picture of a trade panel that addresses some of these issues. Some buttons were added for fun, e.g. Panic button - personally, I don't need this button, but others might want it.
Attachments
Trade panel logic.jpg
(94.54 KiB) Downloaded 8150 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 14 Dec 2010

Shouldn't all comments and suggestions (especially critical ones) go to project management aka bug tracker from now on? I tend to think that any record made in PM is going to leave a paper trail that is unlikely go unnoticed - meaning that after the introduction of Project Management the thread called "MultiCharts General discussion" has a different meaning...
Dear geizer,

You are absolutely correct. However, as we are talking about Pre-Alpha version of the program, we kindly ask you to post all your comments in this thread or send them directly via e-mail.

Dave Masalov

Yet another hokus pokus. This time after expanding the trade bar.
Dear Tresor,

Please send us a screen shot of Format Objects --> Drawings on this workspace.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 14 Dec 2010

Here is the picture. I put Y axis as well, and ... the prices are '+ something' and '- something'. Quite strange, which might indicate my ignorance of MC is at fault.
Attachments
Hokus pokus 1.jpg
(105.04 KiB) Downloaded 8143 times

Tresor

Supplementary picture.
Attachments
Hokus pokus 2.jpg
(104.58 KiB) Downloaded 8135 times

Tresor

Another suggestion regarding manual orders.
Attachments
order stickers.jpg
(142.34 KiB) Downloaded 8134 times

SP

Postby SP » 14 Dec 2010

As i dont trade them often i only have subscribed to Level I at Liffe and Monep at IB.

I you open an MC DOM on CAC40/FCEZ0 (Monep) or ZZ0 (Liffe) the DOM doesnt update the bid/ask values and only shows the trade and trade size in the middle correctly.

Dont know if it is an exchange problem or an missing Level II problem, but NT and the IB booktrader shows it accurate.
Attachments
DOM- CAC.jpg
(55.19 KiB) Downloaded 8142 times

Dave Masalov

Dear Tresor,

Thank you, but we need the following screenshot:
Attachments
screenshot.JPG
(142.25 KiB) Downloaded 8163 times

Tresor

Here is the screenshot. 'BAI' is bid and ask indicator and strangely drawings are based on this indicator.

BTW, I am trying to remove both volume indicator and volume indicator (from the chart by clicking 'X') and it seems impossible.
Attachments
Hokus pokus bid and ask.jpg
(103.16 KiB) Downloaded 8160 times

geizer

Postby geizer » 14 Dec 2010

Dear geizer,

You are absolutely correct. However, as we are talking about Pre-Alpha version of the program, we kindly ask you to post all your comments in this thread or send them directly via e-mail.
Dave, I did not sent a request to participate in v.7 pre-alpha testing due to time constraint, meaning I'm not be able to provide feedback this time around, hence decided to pass. I do remain passionate about Multicharts, however. Multicharts receives my vote of confidence on elitetrader and trade2win.
Best,
Pavel

Tresor

Another suggestion in the picture.
Attachments
PnL long or short.jpg
(136.63 KiB) Downloaded 8141 times

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 15 Dec 2010

Another suggestion: setting a default broker / account:
(i) for a given instrument, and/ or
(ii) for a given trade panel.
Attachments
instrument-specific account.jpg
(144.27 KiB) Downloaded 8128 times

Tresor

I can place orders by dragging icons from trade panel and dropping them on chart, but I cannot place a stop loss and a take profit the same way. 'Exit strategies' should have the same drag and drop mode.
Attachments
TP ans SL drag and drop_cr.jpg
(149.99 KiB) Downloaded 8124 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 15 Dec 2010

Here is the screenshot. 'BAI' is bid and ask indicator and strangely drawings are based on this indicator.
Dear Tresor,

Your drawing is applied to the indicator and not the symbol. The scales are different, that is why its position does not macth with the symbol when scrolling.
BTW, I am trying to remove both volume indicator and volume indicator (from the chart by clicking 'X') and it seems impossible.
This is a confirmed issue. If you have a DOM open, you need to move it, then click somewhere on the chart background. After that the indicators can be deleted. The issue will be resolved in Beta version.
I can place orders by dragging icons from trade panel and dropping them on chart, but I cannot place a stop loss and a take profit the same way. 'Exit strategies' should have the same drag and drop mode.
You can drag the exit strategies and attach them to already placed manual orders.

skyluck2001

Postby skyluck2001 » 15 Dec 2010

Hi,

I just saw the screen shots and noticed that there were only buttons for Buy/Sell @ Market, Bid, and Ask.

How about a button that allows us to Buy/Sell by clicking at discretionary price levels on the chart?

Thanks.
There are two ways to place an order at discretionary price levels:
1. You can drag and drop one of the orders from the icon list. The drop place will reflect the order price. You can move it after the drop if needed.
2. Right click on a specific price will popup a context menu with the option indicating the price.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 15 Dec 2010

How about a button that allows us to Buy/Sell by clicking at discretionary price levels on the chart?
Dear skyluck2001,

Could you please be more precise? Please explain your question in details.

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 15 Dec 2010

Hi,

I just saw the screen shots and noticed that there were only buttons for Buy/Sell @ Market, Bid, and Ask.

Thanks.
You can right click and get to options that allow orders at different levels

skyluck2001

Dear skyluck2001,

Could you please be more precise? Please explain your question in details.
Hi Dave,

I am referring to a feature similar to the ChartTrader on IB whereby one clicks on the BUY button (a dotted line appears on the chart that moves with the cursor), then click on the desired price level to activate the Buy Order at that price, which can be amended by moving the line with the cursor.

Perhaps MC7.0 has something similar. I haven't tried MC7.0 and my comments are based on what I saw from the screen shots.

skyluck2001

Hi,

Thanks.
You can right click and get to options that allow orders at different levels
Hi gpw797,

Thanks for pointing that out.

Tresor

Your drawing is applied to the indicator and not the symbol. The scales are different, that is why its position does not macth with the symbol when scrolling.
My bad.
The issue will be resolved in Beta version.
Good.

You can drag the exit strategies and attach them to already placed manual orders.
I can't. But I am aware of the possibility that I am at fault. It will take some time before I master the complexity of the current trade panel.
Attachments
Exit strats non-draggable.jpg
(142.18 KiB) Downloaded 8132 times

Tresor

This is my last variation on the trade panel's layout. This time it uses DOM's logic.

This layout proposition as well as previous layout propositions were aimed for:

(i) making the trade panel thinner (thus providing more space for charts)
(ii) improving the logic
(iii) mitigating current trade panel's limitations (e.g. too small boxes for amount and PnL)

I would like to hear some feedback on my propositions. Good / bad / ugly / other thoughts?
Attachments
DOM-like trade panel.jpg
(64.98 KiB) Downloaded 8135 times

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 16 Dec 2010

This is my last variation on the trade panel's layout. This time it uses DOM's logic.

(ii) improving the logic
(iii) mitigating current trade panel's limitations (e.g. too small boxes for amount and PnL)

I would like to hear some feedback on my propositions. Good / bad / ugly / other thoughts?
**I would like the individual elements of the layout to be "drag and drop" so we could position them in the order that we want(then "Lock" them in position, so they couldn't be accidentally moved). It would also be nice, if we could black out or remove the ones that we rarely use. (have a menu and simply "check" the ones that we want to be shown.)

skyluck2001

Postby skyluck2001 » 16 Dec 2010

(ii) improving the logic

**I would like the individual elements of the layout to be "drag and drop" so we could position them in the order that we want(then "Lock" them in position, so they couldn't be accidentally moved). It would also be nice, if we could black out or remove the ones that we rarely use. (have a menu and simply "check" the ones that we want to be shown.)
Customizable. I second that.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 16 Dec 2010

I would like the individual elements of the layout to be "drag and drop" so we could position them in the order that we want(then "Lock" them in position, so they couldn't be accidentally moved). It would also be nice, if we could black out or remove the ones that we rarely use. (have a menu and simply "check" the ones that we want to be shown.)
Brilliant idea, Sptrader :)

What do you think of the colour of the trade panel (the bright background to the right of the chart). Should it:
(i) remain fixed bright as it is now
(ii) be automatically coloured the colour of the chart
(iii) be colour customizable?
Last edited by Tresor on 16 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.

TJ

Postby TJ » 16 Dec 2010

InteractiveBrokers have a highly customizable DOM.
You can change the button function, color, wording on the button, number of buttons, what is on the attached quote panel, details in the trade panel, PnL, etc.,

Tresor

Is it good or bad? What's your opinion?
You can change the button function, color, wording on the button, number of buttons, what is on the attached quote panel, details in the trade panel, PnL, etc.,
What changes (if any) would you recommend to be made to:
(i) trade bar
(ii) trade panel
(iii) DOM?

geizer

Postby geizer » 16 Dec 2010

I would like the individual elements of the layout to be "drag and drop" so we could position them in the order that we want(then "Lock" them in position, so they couldn't be accidentally moved). It would also be nice, if we could black out or remove the ones that we rarely use. (have a menu and simply "check" the ones that we want to be shown.)
Is it good or bad? What's your opinion?
There is an old video about the paradox of choice:
http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz ... hoice.html

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 16 Dec 2010

I am referring to a feature similar to the ChartTrader on IB whereby one clicks on the BUY button (a dotted line appears on the chart that moves with the cursor), then click on the desired price level to activate the Buy Order at that price, which can be amended by moving the line with the cursor.

Perhaps MC7.0 has something similar. I haven't tried MC7.0 and my comments are based on what I saw from the screen shots.
In MultiCharts you can drag the order to the chart and then move the order line with your mouse.

Dave Masalov

I can't. But I am aware of the possibility that I am at fault. It will take some time before I master the complexity of the current trade panel.
Dear Tresor,

To place an order from Place Order section you just need to drag it to the chart. It cannot be attached to any existing position, it is placed independently. As for Exit Strategies, they can be attached only to the order placed manually (from Place Order section), but not to an open position, like the one showed on your screenshot.

Tresor

To place an order from Place Order section you just need to drag it to the chart.
That's easy. I figured that out.
As for Exit Strategies, they can be attached only to the order placed manually (from Place Order section), but not to an open position, like the one showed on your screenshot.
Dear Dave,

The problem is: I use only Buy Market and Sell Market orders (like 99% of discretionary traders).

This is how I trade:
1. First I enter a position (I focus as much as I can to enter at the very best moment and price).
2. Second I set a a SL (once I entered in a trade I have time to set a stop loss).
3. Third I set a TP (once I set a stop loss I have time to set my take profit).
4. I sometimes set a trailing stop.

From what you say I gather that it is impossible to place a stop loss or take profit for the trade already initiated with buttons: Buy Mkt, Buy Bid, Buy Ask, Sell Mkt, Sell Bid, Sell Ask. Is my reasoning correct?

Dave Masalov

From what you say I gather that it is impossible to place a stop loss or take profit for the trade already initiated with buttons: Buy Mkt, Buy Bid, Buy Ask, Sell Mkt, Sell Bid, Sell Ask. Is my reasoning correct?
Dear Tresor,

You should rightclick on the Stop Loss Strategy (for example) and chose Auto Attach as Exit Strategy if you want Stop Loss to be attached to your manual Buy Mkt (Buy Bid, Buy Ask) order.

TIKITRADER

Postby TIKITRADER » 16 Dec 2010

Is there a way to show the volume profile in histogram, to the right or left on the DOM ?
I may have missed a way to do this

*edit to clarify
Last edited by TIKITRADER on 16 Dec 2010, edited 2 times in total.

Dave Masalov

Is there a way to show the volume levels in histogram, at each level of price on the DOM ?
Dear TIKITRADER,

This is not possible at the moment.

TIKITRADER

Is there a way to show the volume levels in histogram, at each level of price on the DOM ?
Dear TIKITRADER,

This is not possible at the moment.

Thank you Dave for a quick reply

Dave Masalov

Thank you Dave for a quick reply
You are welcome.

Tresor

You should rightclick on the Stop Loss Strategy (for example) and chose Auto Attach as Exit Strategy if you want Stop Loss to be attached to your manual Buy Mkt (Buy Bid, Buy Ask) order.
This is the most inconvenient way of placing a stop loss and a take profit I ever saw. And stop losses and take profits are calculated as amounts in pips and in % and not as price levels. Discretionary traders, unlike algo geeks,do not have calculators in their heads.

You programmed a very clean and easy to use ST and TP tool in Strategy Trader. Why just not include it in MC?

Dave Masalov

This is the most inconvenient way of placing a stop loss and a take profit I ever saw. And stop losses and take profits are calculated as amounts in pips and in % and not as price levels. Discretionary traders, unlike algo geeks,do not have calculators in their heads.
Dear Tresor,

We have analyzed the main trading platforms and have never seen the possibility to attach a stop loss order to an already open position. Can you give us any examples?

In MultiCharts you can either auto attach (as I have described above) or use two different orders in OCO group. However, we will implement the possibility to attach exit strategies to already open positions. Could you point us at any trading platforms that you think are good in that?
In previous posts I outlined a number of issues that I had with the trade panel, e.g.:
(i) too small amount box (for forex)
(ii) too small PnL box
(iii) too much unused space
(iv) bad logic adapted from NT - explained here: download/file.php?id=3198 with a draft solution here: download/file.php?id=3199

Enclosed is an initial picture of a trade panel that addresses some of these issues. Some buttons were added for fun, e.g. Panic button - personally, I don't need this button, but others might want it.
Thank you for your suggestions. We understand and accept your logic of placing the buttons. However, the vertical arrangement contradicts with our views.

Tresor

We have analyzed the main trading platforms and have never seen the possibility to attach a stop loss order to an already open position. Can you give us any examples?
MT. I think it is the most main of the main platforms.
In MultiCharts you can either auto attach (as I have described above) or use two different orders in OCO group.
Dave, I am an old fashioned trader. Phrases like 'OCO' or 'auto attach' overwhelm my circuits. I need a simple tool to modify existing orders (pending and open ones) by adding / removing / modyfying ST and TP and trailing stop.
However, we will implement the possibility to attach exit strategies to already open positions. Could you point us at any trading platforms that you think are good in that?
MT. MT should be the very basic platform you should investigate if you want to succeed. If MC fails to delier what MT offers, MC has no potential of growth in forex.

Another platform is JForex.
Thank you for your suggestions. We understand and accept your logic of placing the buttons. However, the vertical arrangement contradicts with our views.
Dave, allow me for a little elaboration:

Examples of views (subjective, personal, sometimes non-verifiable):
(i) apple pie is the best of all pies because I say so
(ii) 2 + 2 = 5 because I say so
(iii) dogs are smarter than cats because I think so
(iv) Santa Clause exists

Examples of logic (science):
(i) butter has more fat than apple because I ran lab tests
(ii) 2 + 2 = 4 because I tested this equation on Monday, Tuesday, ... and even on Moon and it always equals 4
(iii) dogs are smarter than cats because I ran IQ tests on both species
(iv) Santa Clause does not exists because no objectve scientific method was ever able to detect the guy dressed in red and flying in the sky, besides reindeers do not fly engine-unaided

If you understand and accept the logic, then simply implement it :)

Tresor

MT

Dave, please go to this website: http://www.MT.com/en and download MT5. This is an MT version that will replace MT4. MT5 is much better than MT4. You can play with a virtual account for an indefinite period.

MT is the most widely used platform in the world. Alpari is one of the brokers whose clients trade via MT. Alpari has posted recently its statistics: it has 330 thousand clients trading via MT4.

My rough estimate is than at least 2 - 3 million traders use MT. Why so many traders use MT? Well, yes, it's free, but it is also easy to use.

If MC ever decide to have a slice in forex cake it must deliver the same usability and simplicity for traders (the ones who wish to get the same simplicity) as MT does and subsequently lure the potential customers with MC's undisputed complex advantages over MT.

Yves BENOIT

Postby Yves BENOIT » 16 Dec 2010

There seem to be some fanatism about MT,
and lack of rational analysis, probably because it is free.

I know an engineer, fluently developping in C++.
Nevertheless, he is fed up by the complexity of programming on MT.

The very basic results and charts he obtains from backtests are totally insufficient.

He is looking to switch to another software like Multicharts!

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 16 Dec 2010

I agree, MT has a very convoluted language, that's where Multicharts has a HUGE advantage and why I changed from TS, when they stopped supporting their desktop version. I already knew the language in MC.
I also looked at MT but gave up, when I saw the programming language.

Tresor

Fanatism is well grounded. MT is easy to use for discretionary traders who do not care for MQL's complexity.

It is easy to place a stop loss or a take profit in MT - it takes a few seonds. It is a nightmare to place the same in the current MC - it takes a few minutes or is impossible (in some cases).

TIKITRADER

Noticed when I place an order on the DOM, then select the " X " to cancel, the request to cancel is very slow and takes some to for the order to be pulled from the DOM.
Also the cancel x button located below, same very slow to respond.

Anyone else experience this ?
Attachments
cancel order SLOW.jpg
(116.8 KiB) Downloaded 8102 times

geizer

Postby geizer » 17 Dec 2010

Fanatism is well grounded. MT is easy to use for discretionary traders who do not care for MQL's complexity.

It is easy to place a stop loss or a take profit in MT - it takes a few seonds. It is a nightmare to place the same in the current MC - it takes a few minutes or is impossible (in some cases).
Tresor,
why don't you just switch to the "perfect" MT and abandon all others, incl. MC and Jforex? Sounds logical ;)

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 17 Dec 2010

Tresor,
why don't you just switch to the "perfect" MT and abandon all others, incl. MC and Jforex? Sounds logical ;)
I already switched from MC to MT years ago. MT is not perfect. The reason for having switched to MT was lack of manual orders in MC.

1. As you no doubt have guessed a platform without manual orders is useless for discretionary traders.

2. As MC will soon no doubt gather (unless they change their attitude) MC platform with (i) complicated order management and (ii) insufficient ST and TP management will be useless for discretionary traders, ergo their almost a year long effort to attract a new spiecies of traders might go down the drain, which I have been trying to prevent.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 17 Dec 2010

If you understand and accept the logic, then simply implement it
Dear Tresor,

I meant the logic described here: download/file.php?id=3198

Dave Masalov

Noticed when I place an order on the DOM, then select the " X " to cancel, the request to cancel is very slow and takes some to for the order to be pulled from the DOM.
Also the cancel x button located below, same very slow to respond.

Anyone else experience this ?
Dear TIKITRADER,

If you hit cancel before the order has been placed at the broker, we cannot cancel it as the broker "says" that the order cannot be canceled. MC can cancel the order only after we receive one of the following statuses for this order from the broker:

PreSubmitted
Submitted
PartiallyFilled

Every attempt to cancel the order before we receive one of the following statuses will be unsuccessful.

We have made a test:
- Order can be canceled 1-3 seconds after it has been sent.
- The confirmation of order cancellation gets 0.5 - 2 seconds. That is why sometimes the delay is up to 5 seconds if you cancel the order immediately after sending it.

TIKITRADER

Postby TIKITRADER » 17 Dec 2010

We have made a test:
- Order can be canceled 1-3 seconds after it has been sent.
- The confirmation of order cancellation gets 0.5 - 2 seconds. That is why sometimes the delay is up to 5 seconds if you cancel the order immediately after sending it.
Yes, this is what I have experienced.

Thank you Dave

Dave Masalov

Yes, this is what I have experienced.

Thank you Dave
You are welcome.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 17 Dec 2010

Tresor,
Despite I really value your efforts and very carefully listen to your suggestions I must comment, because I will not tolerate so active advertisement of other products here and instructions what we must do. I don’t like unfounded statements like the one you did saying that our judgments are subjective and non-verifiable. I don’t want to spend time and argue about it just because I see some mistakes in your opinions and facts.
I disagree with your statement that majority of traders place market orders. In fact majority of traders use limits to control costs of entry and some platform like TWS always use limits by default when you place an order.

It is obviously not true that it takes minutes to place a bracket order in MultiCharts. It is simply not true. In fact it takes several clicks.1) auto attach or drag and drop it to pending order. Visually change levels. That is it. You can set level in points, or % or set an absolute price.
Why do you demonstrate MT4 as an example but you don’t indicate that: 1) you CAN’T set sl and pt closely to the entry price? We both know answer why. 2) The way MT deals wth ST and PT. Your last order will ALWAYS replace the stop loss and profit target of the first order which is useless for scaling-in and out. Do you like it? That is fine we don’t.

Current MultiCharts implementation is not final and will be improved. This is why we specifically called it is Pre-alpha which means night builds. It is not even beta.
However it is not worse than the leading trading platforms like TS and NT. If you like MT you are fee to use it and there is no need spend your efforts here- we don’t like MT4/5 and we are not going to replicate it.

We are not going to implement the last version of your layout of the trade panel, because it is complicated and reflects your vision not ours. At the same time we value your input regarding the order of the buttons in the trade panel and will do it.

So again I do appreciate your input and we are learning from your feedback, but please be specific and as you said let us use facts not opinions in our discussion.
Thank you for your time and efforts.

SP

Postby SP » 17 Dec 2010

What i like so far is the DOM speed, the center with double click in the middle and the sizing of numbers of rows with the small arrows over PnL.

Small additional wish list to my first post:

- Ability to paint the rows in the middle line green or red from the entry price to the current price instead of grey according to the PnL
- Ability to paint the daily high / low in the DOM
- Ability to show the daily total volume on the top

If there is an demand from other traders:
- timer button 1 "cancel after time" (no entry yet): If the position is not opend after XXX seconds, cancel the order
- timer button 2 "timer for close position" (entry filled): sometimes you dont want to spend the whole time in front of the desk, but you want to be sure that the position gets sold at a specific time (ie Open Range, FOMC news, 20 minutes before pit close) or xxx seconds/minutes from now on if none of the brackets get filled before

Tresor

what we must do.
I used word 'must' once in this thread, in a conditional statement, and 'must' was dependant on your internal decision. There is no 'must-do' (and never was) attitude on my end towards MC.

I don’t like unfounded statements like the one you did saying that our judgments are subjective and non-verifiable.
I was refering to views which are subjective and sometimes non-verifiable. It is their nature. It was a general statement.

I disagree with your statement that majority of traders place market orders. In fact majority of traders use limits to control costs of entry and some platform like TWS always use limits by default when you place an order.
I was refering to discretionary traders and only discretionary traders. Not (all) traders. I admit I exaggerated.

It is obviously not true that it takes minutes to place a bracket order in MultiCharts. It is simply not true.
I never wrote that placing a bracket order takes minutes. In fact placing orders in MC is clean and easy, just the way it should be. There is a problem with placing SL and TP. It is time consuming and sometimes impossible, which I pointed out hoping to be addressed by MC.

In fact it takes several clicks.1) auto attach or drag and drop it to pending order. Visually change levels. That is it. You can set level in points, or % or set an absolute price.
No 'absolute price' on my end (yet?). Only % and pips, which was the problem for me. Screenshot attached.

Why do you demonstrate MT4 as an example but you don’t indicate that: 1) you CAN’T set sl and pt closely to the entry price? We both know answer why. 2) The way MT deals wth ST and PT. Your last order will ALWAYS replace the stop loss and profit target of the first order which is useless for scaling-in and out. Do you like it? That is fine we don’t.
I do not particularily like MT. MT just happens to be the platform I MUST use due to lack of alternative products. Dave asked for a name of a platform that can perform a certain type of operation, which I provided. That's it.

Current MultiCharts implementation is not final and will be improved. This is why we specifically called it is Pre-alpha which means night builds. It is not even beta.
I know this.
However it is not worse than the leading trading platforms like TS and NT. If you like MT you are fee to use it and there is no need spend your efforts here- we don’t like MT4/5 and we are not going to replicate it.
Even the current Alpha implementation of manual orders in MC is far superior than that of TS and NT. MT was an example of a platform that allows to attach SL and TP to an already executed order.
We are not going to implement the last version of your layout of the trade panel, because it is complicated and reflects your vision not ours.
And I am perfectly fine with this.
At the same time we value your input regarding the order of the buttons in the trade panel and will do it.
I am glad I could have even this tiny input.
Attachments
SL absolute value.jpg
(125.67 KiB) Downloaded 8105 times

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 17 Dec 2010

Tresor,

I was refering to discretionary traders and only discretionary traders. Not (all) traders. I admit I exaggerated.

Right. I'm talking about discretionary traders as well. We do recognize the different trading styles and we will add attachment to a position soon.

I never wrote that placing a bracket order takes minutes. In fact placing orders in MC is clean and easy, just the way it should be. There is a problem with placing SL and TP. It is time consuming and sometimes
impossible, which I pointed out hoping to be addressed by MC.
The Stop loss in MC is simplifed bracket (1 leg of two). It is true that Stop loss doesn't have price level.
You can use braket strategy if you need stop loss with a specific price, not pips offset. We will improve the exisitng stop loss later.
Even the current Alpha implementation of manual orders in MC is far superior than that of TS and NT.
MT was an example of a platform that allows to attach SL and TP to an already executed order.
Good. I'm happy that we did something right!:) We are working on the position bracket.

I am glad I could have even this tiny input.
Your input wasn't tiny. It was BIG and detailed. You were so inspired so I do understand your desire to change something according to our vision!

Again your help is great. Thank you Tresor.

Tresor

I must chill out :)

Andrew,

Since I joined MC community I expressed several time my wish for MC to have manual order capabilities. Almost an obsession. And finally you made it!

Example # 1: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5869&hilit=+DOM

Example # 2: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6072&hilit=+DOM
Good. I'm happy that we did something right!:)
You did an excellent job. Really. But your bad luck is (as I wrote above) my being obsessed with MC having manual trading capabilities - the best of all.

And as far as I am concerned there is only one cherry missing (well, maybe more than one) on the top of this delicious cake: simpler SL and TP placing.

Regards

vking

Postby vking » 18 Dec 2010

With DOM - when try to enter the buy order at bid - it masks the contracts at ask price - which is very inconvenient as I don't know how many contracts are in ask side ( inside ask). Would it be possible to change this functionality similar to NT - where the working orders are displayed in the left most column without blocking inside ask contracts?

Thanks

vking

Is there any feature to have the customizable keyboard short cuts?

Couple of customizable keyboard shortcuts I use currently in TS:
- to draw a trendline - click "f2" function key
- to toggle snap mode on/off - click "ctrl+s" key
- is it possible to have a specific property - snap mode always on/off for a specific drawing tool irrespective of the default snap mode settings. For example - for trendline - I would like to have the ability to have the snapmode on/off - where as for fibonacci replacement tools - would like to have the snap mode Always ON even if I select snap mode off for trendline.

I am not sure whether any of these features are available in MC 7 or not. If any of them are already available - I couldn't find them.

Thanks.

vking

Also - Is there any possibility of providing a "simulated account" similar to NT - to try out the strategies/manual order fine-tuning. Basically instead of trading with real broker account - it would be very nice to try out the manual trading through simulated broker account - and with the Powerful replay capabilities that Multichart has - a combination of entry/exit options can be tested out easily. Appreciate - if you can consider this feature.

Thanks
Last edited by vking on 18 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 18 Dec 2010

If it were not for your endless broker requests, probably it could have been done sooner.
And if it were not for your endless whining about crosshair colour change, it might have been done even sooner. Who knows.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 18 Dec 2010

ps. I will delete this post once you have read it.
Every censor works the same way...

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 18 Dec 2010

Tresor, TJ
Please stop. It doesn't make sense. Let us talk about features. The thread is large and it will be hard for the new users to see what is going on here.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 18 Dec 2010

With DOM - when try to enter the buy order at bid - it masks the contracts at ask price - which is very inconvenient as I don't know how many contracts are in ask side ( inside ask). Would it be possible to change this functionality similar to NT - where the working orders are displayed in the left most column without blocking inside ask contracts?

Thanks
Thank you for the comment.
Please make a screenshot and plot what you want to see. I assume you mean we just indciate LMT on the bid or ask level, but you need to have size. For example LMT 3000 which means there 3000 contracts are here.

vking

----
Please make a screenshot and plot what you want to see. I assume you mean we just indciate LMT on the bid or ask level, but you need to have size. For example LMT 3000 which means there 3000 contracts are here.
----

Andrew - I am unable to post the screenshot as market is closed now.

This is what I meant:
- On the DOM ( no charts/plots involved)
- place a limit order buy for 1 contract at bid price
- this order would block the existing inside bid information ( number of contracts ) on the DOM side and it doesn't give me a clue on how many contracts in the queue - which needs to be filled before - my order can get filled - my limit order buy would block entire row on the bid side and can't see inside bid contracts information.

Hope that explains. Would try to get a screenshot during market hours next time.

Thanks.

sdonahue

Postby sdonahue » 18 Dec 2010

Also - Is there any possibility of providing a "simulated account" similar to NT - to try out the strategies/manual order fine-tuning. Basically instead of trading with real broker account - it would be very nice to try out the manual trading through simulated broker account - and with the Powerful replay capabilities that Multichart has - a combination of entry/exit options can be tested out easily. Appreciate - if you can consider this feature.

Thanks
I was curious about that as well- I am not testing the new version, but have been reading about all of the changes to how broker profiles and accounts are managed. Having a simulated account would be immensely useful for forward testing large numbers of strategies simultaneously in real-time before risking capital on them. I suppose if I am understanding the "broker profile" feature correctly, it would be possible to use a broker demo or paper trade account (if they provided it) in addition to a live one.

Are there any plans for an actual MC simulator anywhere on the roadmap?

vking

with demo/paper trade account - usually - this would have a limited time any broker would provide and constantly need to ask the broker to help to create a demo account. if anyone already has a real account/datafeed options ( like zenfire or esignal feed) - if MC can allow a simulated broker environment - it would help in a great deal.

Thanks.

LRP

Postby LRP » 20 Dec 2010

Test Feedback
"Reload Data" n-Bars Back change the Bar resulution to n-Bars => Bug

LRP

Postby LRP » 20 Dec 2010

Test Feddback
Trading Profit/Loss at ChartTrader is not calculated with the BigPoint-Value. See picture at the 2 pink circles. For DAX should 25 per BigPiont. => BUG
Attachments
MultiCharts2.png
(146.86 KiB) Downloaded 8120 times
Last edited by LRP on 27 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.

vking

Postby vking » 20 Dec 2010

Related to DOM - visual aspect - attached are 2 images - one from MC and one from NT. On MC - it hides the bid side contracts - when there is a limit order where as NT DOM it is better and can see the contracts.

Thanks.
Attachments
to_MC_DOM_issue.jpg
MC - DOM - visual issue
(85.89 KiB) Downloaded 8118 times

vking

Postby vking » 20 Dec 2010

image from NT - it doesn't hide the contracts at bid side.
Attachments
to_MC_Ninja_DOM.jpg
NT DOM - this doesn't hide the bid side contracts
(44.79 KiB) Downloaded 8123 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 21 Dec 2010

Test Feedback
"Reload Data" n-Bars Back change the Bar resulution to n-Bars => Bug
Dear LRP,

The issue has been confirmed and will be fixed in the beta version.

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 21 Dec 2010

While I have Trade selected for data collection in QM , no trade is available in MC for charts.

Regards,
DB

beck donald

I am using IQfeed and am not able to pull history into a MC chart.

Regards,
DB

beck donald

Same data related issues using MBT.

Regards,
Don

beck donald

It seems that when I selected download missing historic data, I either went to quick or it did not stay put. Re-selecting it solved the data history issue.

However the trade data still is not available. For some data souces, there is more trade than bid data.

Regards,
DB

beck donald

I have tried to use FXCM automation with the new stop limit order functionality without success. The orders are rejected. Which brokers is it set to work with?

Thanks,
DB

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 22 Dec 2010

I have tried to use FXCM automation with the new stop limit order functionality without success. The orders are rejected. Which brokers is it set to work with?
Dear Donald,

Stop limit orders work with IB, MBT, OEC, Patsystems, TT, Zen-fire and Rithmic.

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 22 Dec 2010

Dave,

So I can plan forward as it relates to this feature, are their plans to expand this to FXCM in the alpha, beta or release versions?

Thank you,
Don
Dear Donald,

Stop limit orders work with IB, MBT, OEC, Patsystems, TT, Zen-fire and Rithmic.

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 22 Dec 2010

The price levels presented with the flags and lines are a nice addition. It allows at a glance to see a potential trade point. It would help to have the information box offest because they can overlap and hide the written info.

Regards,
Don

arnie

Postby arnie » 23 Dec 2010

Hi.

I'm not testing the alpha version due to lack of time at this moment, but I'll be testing the beta version.

One question regarding trade bar/ order panel. Are they separate from the chart in terms of data feed (ie. the order panel may be connect to IB, but the chart itself is connected to eSignal, for example)?

If so, can limit/stop orders be recognized on the chart if we are using different feeds for charts and orders?

Regards,
Fernando

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 23 Dec 2010

One question regarding trade bar/ order panel. Are they separate from the chart in terms of data feed (ie. the order panel may be connect to IB, but the chart itself is connected to eSignal, for example)?
Yes.
If so, can limit/stop orders be recognized on the chart if we are using different feeds for charts and orders?
The orders are recognized if symbol name and exchange are the same for both data provider and broker. If not, orders will be sent to broker, but you won't see them on the chart. They will be displayed in Order and Position Tracker though.

arnie

Postby arnie » 23 Dec 2010

Yes.
The orders are recognized if symbol name and exchange are the same for both data provider and broker. If not, orders will be sent to broker, but you won't see them on the chart. They will be displayed in Order and Position Tracker though.
Thank you, Dave.

Dave Masalov

You are welcome.

Dave Masalov

As i dont trade them often i only have subscribed to Level I at Liffe and Monep at IB.

I you open an MC DOM on CAC40/FCEZ0 (Monep) or ZZ0 (Liffe) the DOM doesnt update the bid/ask values and only shows the trade and trade size in the middle correctly.

Dont know if it is an exchange problem or an missing Level II problem, but NT and the IB booktrader shows it accurate.
Please come to our Live Chat on Monday 27th of December between 6:30AM and 11AM EST so we can connect to your computer remotely and investigate the issue.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 27 Dec 2010

While I have Trade selected for data collection in QM , no trade is available in MC for charts.
Dear Donald, we failed to reproduce the issue on our end. Please come to our Live Chat between 6:30AM and 11AM EST so we can connect to yourcomputer remotely and analyze the situation.
So I can plan forward as it relates to this feature, are their plans to expand this to FXCM in the alpha, beta or release versions?
It depends on FXCM. It will be available as soon as they start to support this order type.

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 27 Dec 2010

Thank you

vking

Postby vking » 27 Dec 2010

Dave - Would you please review and reply to my earlier postings about:

- Customized Keyboard shortcuts
- DOM visualization for the limit orders
- simulated accounts with possible replay feature

Thanks

LRP

Postby LRP » 27 Dec 2010

Dear TS Support

In QM i have only IB aktivated, but PatsServer.exe is still running in the task manager and eats 4,468kb of my RAM.

THX, LRP

LRP

Postby LRP » 27 Dec 2010

BUG @ DOM?
For DTB ESTX50 with level1 data subscription, non datas are shown. Just "waiting for data.... please see picture
(DAX at DTB ist working with level1 subscription, see other picture)
Attachments
DAX_DOM_Level1OK.JPG
(48.95 KiB) Downloaded 8122 times
DOM_NoData.JPG
(29.59 KiB) Downloaded 8112 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 28 Dec 2010

Dave - Would you please review and reply to my earlier postings about:

- Customized Keyboard shortcuts
- DOM visualization for the limit orders
- simulated accounts with possible replay feature
Dear vking,

All your suggestions have been forwarded to the developers.

Dave Masalov

Dear TS Support

In QM i have only IB aktivated, but PatsServer.exe is still running in the task manager and eats 4,468kb of my RAM.
Dear LRP,

This is normal. If you don't like it you can remove Patsystem profile as shown on the attached screen shot. Then, after you restart MC, PatsServer.exe wonn't be launched.
Attachments
Remove_profile.png
(15.38 KiB) Downloaded 8110 times

Dave Masalov

BUG @ DOM?
For DTB ESTX50 with level1 data subscription, non datas are shown. Just "waiting for data.... please see picture
Dear LRP,

You do not have subscription for DOM data for this symbol. Please contact IB to get DOM subscription.

TIKITRADER

Postby TIKITRADER » 28 Dec 2010

Is it possible to add a time/date stamp to when a pending order was generated on the chart ?
Pending Order generated stamp as in the image attached, also with the option to toggle the time, date, or both on and off.

Thanks
Attachments
timestamp toggle mc.jpg
(41.48 KiB) Downloaded 8122 times

LRP

Postby LRP » 04 Jan 2011

Hi Dave
DAX and the ESTX50 are in the same subscription group at IB (DTB). So why DAX is showing level1 quotes at the DOM, but not so the ESTX50?
THX, LRP
BUG @ DOM?
Dear LRP,

You do not have subscription for DOM data for this symbol. Please contact IB to get DOM subscription.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 05 Jan 2011

Hi Dave
DAX and the ESTX50 are in the same subscription group at IB (DTB). So why DAX is showing level1 quotes at the DOM, but not so the ESTX50?
THX, LRP
Dear LRP,

As far as I know you should subscribe to DOM data for every symbol individually. Please contact IB to know if you have the DOM subscription for ESTX50.

Please see the attached screenshot. If you have a DOM subscription it should look like this.
Attachments
Dom_Cac40.bmp
(2.17 MiB) Downloaded 8108 times

SP

Postby SP » 07 Jan 2011

I get wrong volume charts with ZenFire. On a chart with 10000 Contracts Bars i get 57 bars instead of 27 for the NQH1 with a traded volume of 279363 contracts for the whole day.
Attachments
MultiCharts1.png
(105.31 KiB) Downloaded 8104 times

TJ

Postby TJ » 07 Jan 2011

I get wrong volume charts with ZenFire. On a chart with 10000 Contracts Bars i get 57 bars instead of 27 for the NQH1 with a traded volume of 279363 contracts for the whole day.
that's strange.

maybe the volume is for RTH only?

can you put the volume indicator on the chart to see how many contracts are on each bar?

SP

Postby SP » 08 Jan 2011

TJ,

IB shows the same volume (~280K). The other charts ESH1, FDAX, ... are fine, it seems only to be the NQH1.

Picture with Volume.
Attachments
MultiCharts3.png
(79.5 KiB) Downloaded 8102 times

geizer

Postby geizer » 09 Jan 2011

It may be a good idea to submit the issue to Project Management

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 10 Jan 2011

Dear SP,

Do you have symbols connected in QM? If yes, please try to disconnect them. Does the problem persist?

Also, please install the attached update - unzip the archive and run the Updater. MC, QM and PLE should be closed.

By the way, Total Volume (for the whole day) should not be equal to the direct contracts volume, because it also contains volume for spreads.
Attachments
ZenFire_MC.zip
(2.53 MiB) Downloaded 249 times

SP

Postby SP » 11 Jan 2011

Dave,

installed the update patch, but now i am getting a lot of error messages in russian.

The NQ volume seems to be right now.
Attachments
Zen Error.jpg
(134.81 KiB) Downloaded 8141 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 11 Jan 2011

Dear SP,

If these messages do not prevent you from testing please discard them at the moment. They should disappear in the Beta version.

piranhaxp

Postby piranhaxp » 13 Jan 2011

Where can I download the MC7 beta ?

Regards.
Mike

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 13 Jan 2011

Dear Mike,

Only the Pre-Alpha version is available at the moment. If you are interested in Pre-Alpha testing, please send me a private message.

Kingjelly

Postby Kingjelly » 18 Jan 2011

Just started testing the alpha and what is there so far is GREAT. One feature I would Love to see as far as the chart trader. On the exit strategies, I would like to have the option to pick an exit only easylanguage strategy that I made to auto attach and manage and exit trades that I enter manually. It might be a pipe dream, but this is one of the things that would help me tremendously. Keep up the good work.

Preston

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 19 Jan 2011

Dear Preston,

Thank you for your suggestion. Well, I cannot say that we won't implement this. We probably will, not in MC 7 though. However, it seems more logical to connect DOM and automated trading so they "know" about each other - this way you will be able to mix automated and manual trading.

Kingjelly

Postby Kingjelly » 19 Jan 2011

Thanks Dave,

Implementation in the DOM would be great. Speaking of the DOM I have another question, since it had to be done in the DOM, is there any way you guys leverage the code from the DOM to create a function that we could call in easylanguage that would give us easy access to inside bid/ask data in our strategies?

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 20 Jan 2011

is there any way you guys leverage the code from the DOM to create a function that we could call in easylanguage that would give us easy access to inside bid/ask data in our strategies?
Dear Preston,

It will be implemented in the near future.

SP

Postby SP » 20 Jan 2011

Dave,

is there a way to trade from an Zenfire DOM/Chart to Interactive?

Regards

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 21 Jan 2011

Dear SP,

You can trade from Zenfire Chart on IB. As for DOM, we will probably add this feature in next versions.

Nick

Postby Nick » 22 Jan 2011

Hey Tresor I am another one that is not impressed with the order entry and manipulation side of things in MT4/5. (though once you have orders on the chart moving them by dragging lines is OK). To get anything done quick in MT needs expert advisors triggered by hot keys. I don't think it even has a flatten all or reverse button does it? Scaling in and out of positions is a nightmare for discretionary traders. I dunno I really don't like it for order entry. But then again I am a DOM sort of guy click on a price and you have an order in the market. I do quite like NT's chart trader right click a level and select buy/sell and you are good to go.

TIKITRADER

Postby TIKITRADER » 23 Jan 2011

If selecting format chart trading/ pnl display unit...

percentage and points do not display.
Attachments
flag1.jpg
(46.48 KiB) Downloaded 8101 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 24 Jan 2011

Dear TIKITRADER,

Please come to our Live Chat between 6:30AM and 11:30AM EST so we can connect to your computer remotely and analyze the situation.

TIKITRADER

Postby TIKITRADER » 25 Jan 2011

Thanks Dave,

For whatever reason it is working fine now. If the problem is intermittent I will let you know.
Attachments
point_percent.jpg
(79.15 KiB) Downloaded 8081 times

siscop

Postby siscop » 25 Jan 2011

Hi,
when I open a position from the chart and close this position with the „X“ marked on the chart and I want to close the connection to IB – MC keeps on telling me that there are 2 open positions. It happened today and last week - but not yesterday.
Shouldn’t MC realize that there isn’t any position open? If that is normal why didn’t it do it yesterday as well?
US-stocks with no overnight position - if it matters somehow.
Attachments
MC openposition.PNG
(7.88 KiB) Downloaded 8107 times

TIKITRADER

Postby TIKITRADER » 25 Jan 2011

Hi,
when I open a position from the chart and close this position with the „X“ marked on the chart and I want to close the connection to IB – MC keeps on telling me that there are 2 open positions. It happened today and last week - but not yesterday.
Shouldn’t MC realize that there isn’t any position open? If that is normal why didn’t it do it yesterday as well?
US-stocks with no overnight position - if it matters somehow. .
same here now
Attachments
open position.jpg
(27.79 KiB) Downloaded 8101 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 26 Jan 2011

siscop wrote:
Hi,
US-stocks with no overnight position - if it matters somehow. .

same here now
Dear Sirs,

MC monitors all the positions for all the symbols, even if they were opened from IB directly. All open positions can be seen in Order and Position Tracker when the broker profile is connected. Are you sure that you had no other open positions?

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 13 Feb 2011

This is an issue carried froward from previous versions.

You can take any standard strategy using buy limit / sell short orders to confirm this. In many cases the same issue will take place with other order types.

1. Setup 2-1 minute charts side by side. I am using 1 minute to generate a lot of signals.
2. Chart 1, data1 is ask, data2 is bid.
3. Chart 1, data1 is bid, data2 is ask.
4. Apply strategy with same parameter to each.
5. Set Extended backtests for bid and ask data for each.
6. Run report and look at long vs short trades.

I find that if data1 is bid, then there are more short signals generated than if data1 is ask.
I find that if data1 is ask, then there are more buy signals generated than if data1 is bid.
I am not able to get close to a similar result for chart1 and chart2. To me this points to a bug that does not allow for proper buy and short signals to be applied to a single chart that uses both bid and ask data.

Regards,
DB

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 16 Feb 2011

Dear Don,

If the strategy reference base data series, like Close (this is close of base data series - data 1), or it has data1 or data2 keywords in it, then the behaviour that you describe is understandable and it is not a bug. Because in this case you change data1 and data2 (and the base data series has different prices) and consequently get different results.

You may want to use a chart with 3 data series: trade, bid and ask. Thus, the base data series will always be trade and if the code has no data2 or data3 keywords, you can switch bid and ask series and get the same results. Otherwise you will need to change the code - change data1 keyword to data2 or vice versa.

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 16 Feb 2011

When can we expect a version 7 beta for license owners? I like many of the new features but there are some problems with IB data still.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 16 Feb 2011

Dear gpw797,

MC 7 Beta is expected to be released in the end of February. As fo IB, please make sure to install the following updates:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8221

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8222

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 16 Feb 2011

That is good news, thanks. I have the update installed but MC version 7 still doesn't handle backfills as good as version 6.01 occasionally it just "hangs" and won't load the data.

beck donald

Postby beck donald » 16 Feb 2011

Dave,

I trade forex, only bid and ask are available.

But I am not clear. Data1 to me is the base data, the only data one would see when they first create a chart. In this case lets say it is EURUSD BID data. I now insert a 2nd symbol. I call this data2 In this case it is EURUSD ASK Data.

My second and seperate chart has data1 being EURUSD ASK data and data2 being EURUSD BID data.

If for each chart I set the extended backtesting feature on and correctly place ASK and BID data where it should go, each buy and sell signal should match on chart 1 and chart 2.

Chart1 - A short / sell order on chart one should use the data1 bid data and to cover / buy the ask of data2.
Chart2 - A cover / buy order on chart one should use the data1 ask data and to short / sell the ask of data2.

And therefore there should be no difference.

Regards,
Don

Dear Don,

If the strategy reference base data series, like Close (this is close of base data series - data 1), or it has data1 or data2 keywords in it, then the behaviour that you describe is understandable and it is not a bug. Because in this case you change data1 and data2 (and the base data series has different prices) and consequently get different results.

You may want to use a chart with 3 data series: trade, bid and ask. Thus, the base data series will always be trade and if the code has no data2 or data3 keywords, you can switch bid and ask series and get the same results. Otherwise you will need to change the code - change data1 keyword to data2 or vice versa.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 17 Feb 2011

I have the update installed but MC version 7 still doesn't handle backfills as good as version 6.01 occasionally it just "hangs" and won't load the data.
Dear gpw797,

If you are able to demonstrate the issue, please come to our Live Chat between 6:30AM and 2PM EST so we can connect to your PC remotely and analyze the situation.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 17 Feb 2011

Chart1 - A short / sell order on chart one should use the data1 bid data and to cover / buy the ask of data2.
Chart2 - A cover / buy order on chart one should use the data1 ask data and to short / sell the ask of data2.
Dear Don,

The above is correct when it comes to sending the order. But how do you determine the price at which the order should be sent in your code? If you just use keywords like buy at Close (without specifying data1 or data2), then Close of base data series is taken. Which is bid in one case and ask in the other. Thus, the results will be different.

Return to “MultiCharts”