How does MC handle already downloaded data for charts

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Laurentius

How does MC handle already downloaded data for charts

Postby Laurentius » 13 Jan 2011

Hello,

When setting up a second chart with the same instrument and same time frame I see that MC are using some time to get the data up in the chart window. My question is why does MC behave like this? I am thinking that since MC already have the same data in another chart with the same time frame and settings for the instrument it should be able to have it up in no time. I also experience this every time when changing time frame in a chart.

I have checked the User Guide and Manual to see if I could find any information on if this has something to do with with the "Download missing historical data" function and that MC are doing a integrity check or something every time it loads an instrument even if historical data is already present.

Some enlightenment on the matter would be great : )

Thanks,
Laurentius

Dave Masalov

Re: How does MC handle already downloaded data for charts

Postby Dave Masalov » 19 Jan 2011

Dear Laurentius,

When you plot a chart MC looks for the data for the requested period in the database. Then, if there are gaps in the database, MC connects to the data provider to fill these gaps in history. At the same time MC connects to real-time data. So, this process takes some time.

Laurentius

Postby Laurentius » 19 Jan 2011

Thank you Dave.

If I understand you right, or, does this also mean that every time I just change time frame on the same chart MC will check for gaps in the historical data for the time period requested? If so, would or should it help on speed to uncheck the "Download missing historical data" in "Data Server Mode " settings?

Thanks,
Laurentius

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 20 Jan 2011

does this also mean that every time I just change time frame on the same chart MC will check for gaps in the historical data for the time period requested? If so, would or should it help on speed to uncheck the "Download missing historical data" in "Data Server Mode " settings?
Dear Laurentius,

Yes, you are correct. Unchecking "Download missing historical data" will speed up the process.

Laurentius

Postby Laurentius » 20 Jan 2011

Thank you very much for your help Dave : )

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 20 Jan 2011

You are welcome.

Return to “MultiCharts”