writing data to a separate drive

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tortoise

writing data to a separate drive

Postby tortoise » 30 Jan 2011

Hello -- Can Multicharts be configured so that the application itself runs off, say, drive c:, while associated data is written to and read from, say, drive d:?

If so, how does one so this?

Thanks!

TJ

Re: writing data to a separate drive

Postby TJ » 30 Jan 2011

Hello -- Can Multicharts be configured so that the application itself runs off, say, drive c:, while associated data is written to and read from, say, drive d:?

Thanks!
it can, though not recommended. Because every time you upgrade, you might run into problems.

do a search... the instruction is posted somewhere.

tortoise

Postby tortoise » 30 Jan 2011

Thanks!
it can, though not recommended. Because every time you upgrade, you might run into problems.

do a search... the instruction is posted somewhere.
Thanks. I believe I've found the thread(s) to which you are referring (for the sake of those who might be interested, the relevent links are:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6869&p=29447&hilit=drive#p29447
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5416&hilit=drive)

Could you tell me a little bit more about the downside here? I thought it was an ideal, to have executable files on one disk, data on another. No?

janus

Postby janus » 30 Jan 2011

Could you tell me a little bit more about the downside here? I thought it was an ideal, to have executable files on one disk, data on another. No?
It used to be an advantage in the days of smaller and slower drives for normal desktops. Now with very large drives on the cheap, and fast too, the only advantage left is the recovery in the event of a drive failure. Having them on separate drives allows a quicker recovery - less data to restore. Even then, it's not much of an advantage any more due to the better and faster backing up and restore software available. What's better today is to use RAID technology to minimise downtimes due to hardware failures. I plan to use RAID5 so I can hot swap a failed drive without even rebooting. Of course one still needs to backup everything in case one needs to restore something back to an earlier point in time.

Return to “MultiCharts”