Version 1230 No Longer Connects to Globalserver!!

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
foxtrot

Version 1230 No Longer Connects to Globalserver!!

Postby foxtrot » 27 Mar 2006

Installing Ver 1230 fixed the verification problem with my custom indicators but now the program no longer works reliably with the Globalserver. I've tried all the usual uninstal- reinstal procedures but it now will not collect data real-time from existing symbols and if a new symbol is created it will not connect to it. The paths in the Data source are ok...it just doesn't work.

When you first open the program the 1st chart with an existing symbol from the Globalserver locks the program as it tries to connect to the Globalserver. It will open with a DDE symbol but is RT Offline and has to connect. The Quote Manager no longer automatically connects to symbols once other symbols are charted requiring me to manually re-connect all the symbols from DDE.

I find it very disconcerting to have 2 major problems in 2 consecutive releases like this when I'm using MC to daytrade futures.

Also the program still refuses to recognise the Marketcast McApi.dll. The path to it is now ok but it still doesn't recognise the dll. When can this be fixed?

foxtrot

Update

Postby foxtrot » 27 Mar 2006

Further to this I've found that disconnecting and reconnecting all the Globalserver symbols helps to kick it back into life again, but surely an update shouldn't cause this much angst if you have a fair number of symbols, both futures and stocks. I'm using On-Demand in preferences. I'll see what tomorrow brings when the market is in full swing again.

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 29 Mar 2006

There have been no changes to the GlobalServer source for months, so the build isn't the issue. Besides, from what you describe, we have no power over GS servers, the problem appearing after installation is probably a coincidence.

The missing .dll problem seems serious, other users have been working without experiencing it. Please email us, we need to use remote desktop connection to view your problem up close.

foxtrot

Reply to Alex

Postby foxtrot » 30 Mar 2006

Hi Alex, thanks for the reply. Looking back I think i can see where the problem possibly came from. I had a secondary hard drive fail on my server and when I replaced it I moved Tradestaion from drive D on the main SCSI to the replacement drive on E to get more room, seeing the database is now over 6GB. I did a full reinstall of TS to E without uninstalling, which was perfectly ok for TS. I then uninstalled MC maintaining the database and reinstalled. it would appear that MC still thought that TS was on drive D and did not automatically recognise that it had moved to E, despite doing the uninstall, reinstall after TS had been moved successfully...hence having to disconnect, reconnect all the symbols in the database. Is this a logical explanation?

As to Marketcast, in my hast to set it up I aimed the target to the file, not the folder containing it...the dumb things you do when your tired and it's too late at night. So yes, it does recognise the dll. I just haven't posted since to clear this up due to a time problem.

There is a real problem I'm having with Marketcast however. As the included jpeg shows, when there is no new data for a period of time it appears to poll for data anyway and returns a false data value of -1 (on the Aust. futures contract in this example). Rather than just waiting for data and recording it it's appears to be looking for it in a similar way to the DDE interface with Excel. The correct data is interspersed with all these -1 values, depending on how active the market is. I see no way that this is alterable at my end. It appears to be a problem with MC. Is there any work-around or can this be corrected in the near future?

Cheers, Foxtrot
Attachments
Marketcast.JPG
(282.9 KiB) Downloaded 2009 times

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 30 Mar 2006

Please tell what version of Marketcast you're using, we'll take care to research your problem in detail.

foxtrot

Marketcast Version

Postby foxtrot » 30 Mar 2006

Hi Alex, I'm using Version 2.11 Data Server and DDE Server with the compressed feed update Ver 2.20 (2.21 actual) that was released June 2004 to match the new feed protocol being used. Ver 2.11 itself goes back to around 2002. To the best of my knowledge this is the current feed setup. I don't know if the SDK has been changed for the compressed feed. I'll find out. the McApi.dll is unchanged from Nov 2002 version on my machines, only the MCFeed.exe is updated to version 2.21 with the upgrade file available online at Marketcast.

Cheers, Foxtrot

foxtrot

Re Marketcast SDK

Postby foxtrot » 02 Apr 2006

Hi, I rang Marketcast and the SDK hasn't changed for a number of years, at least back to 2002 as far as support could tell me. It can't be too hard to get it working if the data is at least being recorded...depending on what it takes to eliminate the false -1 ticks, of course.

Cheers, Foxtrot

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 03 Apr 2006

foxtrot, did you try out the new MarketCast datafeed .dll - I emailed it to your email address at ntlworld.com with instructions.

If the email failed to reach you, please write back.

foxtrot

missing dll

Postby foxtrot » 03 Apr 2006

Hi Alex, that's not my isp provider. I just had a look at my profile and the email address is correct. I've sent you an email direct to support with the same address. Please send the dll back on the bigpond.com address and I'll try it out. Cheers, foxtrot

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 03 Apr 2006

Ok, the .dll has been emailed

foxtrot

JPEGS of dll data

Postby foxtrot » 03 Apr 2006

Hi Alex, just installed the dll. Not getting -1 values anymore but the program is still polling for data rather than just recording changes. I've attached 2 snapshots to show the Globalserver actual data compared to the MC data from Marketcast. The Globalserver is also feeding from Marketcast. As you can see, all the false data with 0 volume on Trades and the repeating over and over on the sample Bid data. Ask is similar result as Bid, haven't sent it due to size limit.
On the Bid and Ask MC appears also to be scanning down the 5 levels of data available from the SFE if you compare it to the Globalserver. it's night-time here and the market is actually hardly trading.

Cheers, foxtrot
Attachments
MarketcastAP Bid.JPG
(360.39 KiB) Downloaded 1989 times
MarketcastAP Trade.JPG
(360.59 KiB) Downloaded 1989 times

foxtrot

Marketcast dll?

Postby foxtrot » 20 Apr 2006

Hi Alex, Any progress on the Marketcast dll?
Cheers, Foxtrot

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 20 Apr 2006

We'll need some information here, on ask / bid.
MarketCast sends in realtime, beside theTrade Asset Order, a structure that includes a flag BidOrAsk and also an Order type field. We're sending everything just as it arrives:

Order type: N=New,A=Amend,E=Existing,D=Delete
bUndisclosed: TRUE=Undisclosed Order, else FALSE

if you know how this needs to be filtered, please tell

miltonc4

Postby miltonc4 » 20 Apr 2006

Hi Alex
I also have the marketCast feed,never been able to get it properly connected directly to MCharts though,so I use MCast into Global server thru another interface,which is a pity.
MarketCast has the 5 levels of Market depth and also sends a total of the 5 levels as "Buy Volume and Sell Volume, found in their Market depth setup
Unfortunately,they do not have a DDE link to this total,
Is there a way for MCharts to find it directly ? rather than doing the additions in excel and then have MCharts read excell ?
Thanks
Milton

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 21 Apr 2006

MarketCast can receive realtime data from MarketCast Data Server using McApi.

Please write an email to support@tsspportcom with subject like "Need MarketCast access", we'll send a modified .dll with installaton instructions. A filter has been set for Trade Order type - there should be no more 0's. The old rule that used zeros to indicate deletions is no more active.

Hope this will help.

Return to “MultiCharts”