Multicharts crashing everytime I try to launch it

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Tony

Multicharts crashing everytime I try to launch it

Postby Tony » 03 Feb 2011

After getting Multicharts up and running yesterday I noticed something odd this morning (UK time - middle of the night EST). My Multicharts was connected to my IB feed but for some reason all my non-minute charts stopped updating at 23:21 Exchange time. This chart shows it is still connected and the status bar is even giving the correct latest price but the chart has just stopped (all charts on YM and/or ES futures contracts).

I tried resetting for 24 hours (as opposed to default) and trying other settings such as a volume chart etc to see if there was some problem here but it did not help - I then got an "establishing connection" message which hangs. However, if I switch to a minute based chart everything is immediately fine.

If I opened a new chart in anything other than minute settings it would also show the data only up to 23:21 Exchange Time and had no live updating. Again, a new minute chart would be fine.

I have tried re-booting Multicharts and every time I try to launch it I get an error message and cannot get it opened.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Many thanks,

Tony

arnie

Re: Multicharts crashing everytime I try to launch it

Postby arnie » 03 Feb 2011

Try to reinstall MC.

Regards

Postby Guest » 03 Feb 2011

Tried to reinstall and did the 'repair' process but exactly the same problem on trying to launch. Bizarre as everything worked so well when I first downloaded and started it yesterday. I had all my charts and up running in no time at all.

Tony

Ok - completely uninstalled the original and re-installed from scratch and have it open now. Weird. Will have to rebuild all charts and settings.

arnie

Tried to reinstall and did the 'repair' process but exactly the same problem on trying to launch. Bizarre as everything worked so well when I first downloaded and started it yesterday. I had all my charts and up running in no time at all.
Don't do a repair, do a complete installation.

arnie

Ok - completely uninstalled the original and re-installed from scratch and have it open now. Weird. Will have to rebuild all charts and settings.
That because you chose to delete all data.
When uninstalling, MC asks if you want to delete the database. If you say yes, all data and settings will be deleted.
Saying no will prevent that. When installing MC again it will assume all the previous settings and databases.

Regards

Tony

Aha - thanks Arnie - will remember that next time. Thankfully it was all pretty simple stuff so no big deal to recreate.

geizer

Postby geizer » 04 Feb 2011

Tony,
The cause of your problem might have been so called "IB pacing violation condition". This is a limitation imposed by Interactive Brokers on amount of data you can request from them in a limited period of time. When you exceed the limit, IB just stops sending you the data. There is no way around it other than to limit the amout of data you request from IB datafeed. Software products from other vendors are also subject to the pacing violation problems.

The following info is copied from IB Historical Data limitations page:
The following conditions can cause a pacing violation:
· Making identical historical data requests within 15 seconds;
· Making six or more historical data requests for the same Contract, Exchange and Tick Type within two seconds.
Also, observe the following limitation when requesting historical data:
· Do not make more than 60 historical data requests in any ten-minute period.
Cheers,

Tony

Postby Tony » 08 Feb 2011

Interesting thought Geizer.

I have since reinstalled MC from scratch and no longer have the problem with crashing (fingers crossed) but the feed does seem to stop on non-minute charts sometime during every night. If I relaunch MC then the space is back-filled. I only have 6 charts up using 2 symbols so I would be surprised if I was demanding excessive data but I'll keep watching for further clues.

TJ

Postby TJ » 08 Feb 2011

I have since reinstalled MC from scratch and no longer have the problem with crashing (fingers crossed) but the feed does seem to stop on non-minute charts sometime during every night. If I relaunch MC then the space is back-filled. I only have 6 charts up using 2 symbols so I would be surprised if I was demanding excessive data but I'll keep watching for further clues.
you can have one wsp, one chart, one instrument, and one resolution,
you can still have pacing violation.
[edit] this has to do with how IB manages its datafarm.

Open QuoteManager and look at the Event Log,
you can see how MultiCharts (you) interacts with IB's datafarm.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 08 Feb 2011

you can have one wsp, one chart, one instrument, and one resolution,
you can still have pacing violation.

Open QuoteManager and look at the Event Log,
you can see how MultiCharts (you) interacts with IB's datafarm.

** I get the "pacing violation" almost daily, (when starting MC), when it happens, I just shutdown TWS (NOT MC) and re-start TWS, then the quotes will continue..

Tony

Sorry for being stupid - but where do I find QuoteManager?

TJ

Postby TJ » 08 Feb 2011

Sorry for being stupid - but where do I find QuoteManager?
have you tried the [F1] key?

Tony

Right - seems that I definitely had one of those issues today. Will keep a close eye on it tomorrow (added some FX charts today which might have increased historical data requests).

Thanks for help and suggestions.

Tony

Postby Tony » 09 Feb 2011

Well - this does seem to be a problem.

Yesterday during market hours I had no problem with charts updating in real time for ES, YM plus 3 FX pairs that I added on a second workspace. This morning (UK time - early hours of the morning US time) after relaunching TWS and MC I can only get updates on the FX charts with the YM chart loading to the correct current price but then failing to update thereafter.

I have relaunched TWS and MC twice each now and the same thing happens - the YM chart loads to the exact latest tick but then fails to move.

There is no pacing violation message at all today but I do have a warning message saying "... HMDS data farm connection is inactive but should be available upon demand..."

Any insights or suggestions gratefully received.

Tony

Prices were not responding properly at all this morning but now I see from another thread there is a problem with the latest TWS which I upgraded to yesterday. Will try to work out how to go back to previous to see if that is the cause.

Tony

Well, that seems to have helped. Back on TWS 913 now. Will keep posted.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 09 Feb 2011

MultiCharts DT Alpha 3 is coming tomorrow and it will fix this issue.

Tony

Thanks Andrew -

Looks like I spoke too soon as shortly after having everything up and working again I had to reboot and now I am back to the very start of this thread with another "Dear User..." error message and MC crashing when I try to launch it.

I have completely reinstalled the software (only this time not deleting the data) but I still cannot get it to open - it just crashes every time with the error message.

Soooooooo frustrating!

I guess I just write off today and wait for the new package tomorrow.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 09 Feb 2011

Please wait for the new build.

Return to “MultiCharts”