IB Connection not working

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
NW27

IB Connection not working

Postby NW27 » 07 Feb 2011

Hi,

I'm an owner of MC and I thought I would give the "Discretionary" version a go.
I only use a IB feed and this works fine with normal MC.
I have set the Discretionary up the same weigh ie port and socket numbers but no data feed comes through.
I'm using the PC instance of TWS version 913.6
In the QuoteManager, it says it is connected and OK. See below
Normally against the symbol I would see the packets coming in and the numbe received countng up. It just says "ON" But no data.

On the charting program, in the chart area it says "Establishing connection...(H: Online RT:Connecting)"
I get no data coming through and no chart displayed.
In MC on the File\Broker_Profile, I can connect to IB and the Buy/Sell etc buttons all light up.

Any ideas???

Thanks, Neil.

[02/07/2011 21:29:44] Establishing connection to TWS: Datafeed version= 1.0.16.102, TWS version= 9136, JTS path= C:\Jts, JTS file= jts.jar
[02/07/2011 21:29:54] Connecting to TWS... host= 127.0.0.1, hostIP= 127.0.0.1, port= 7496, clientId= 9867
[02/07/2011 21:29:55] Connection is OK.
[02/07/2011 21:29:55] TWS warning message: Id= -1; code= 2104; description= Market data farm connection is OK:usfuture
[02/07/2011 21:29:55] TWS warning message: Id= -1; code= 2104; description= Market data farm connection is OK:eurofarm
[02/07/2011 21:29:55] TWS warning message: Id= -1; code= 2104; description= Market data farm connection is OK:cashfarm
[02/07/2011 21:29:55] TWS warning message: Id= -1; code= 2104; description= Market data farm connection is OK:aufarm

arnie

Re: IB Connection not working

Postby arnie » 07 Feb 2011

How did you add the IB symbols on QuoteManager?

You need to go to Instrument/Add Symbol/Add From Data Source and select IB.
Then choose the instument type, write a symbol, for example, CL, hit Lookup and choose the contract month you want.

This is the only way to MC retrieve data from IB servers.

Regards

NW27

Postby NW27 » 07 Feb 2011

Hi,
I entered it via via the quote manager but I had to do it manually because it does not find it itself. This is the Futures contract on the AUS market. Code = AP, full code for next expiry is APH1 and the exchange is SNFE.
Exactly the same way as I do it in the normal MC version.
Everything appears to be exactly the same.

Neil.

nasdorq

Postby nasdorq » 10 Feb 2011

I am also trying to get IB connection working properly. I actually managed to get one symbol working, but it was a process.

I am an equities trader, and I need to be able to type in any stock symbol and have it load up in the charts automatically. I am using IB as a datafeed. I may be wrong, but it seems that every symbol has to be configured to run on IB. Is this the case? Since there are over 6000 stocks out there this could be a long process. Is there a way to make this automatic....so if I type in XYZ which might be an obscure stock, the software will automatically go to the datafeed, get the data and show it on the chart?

If every symbol must be configured individually, is this a limitation with IB? I could always switch over to IQfeed if that would make refresh automatic and fast.

Thanks

MotoMoto

Postby MotoMoto » 10 Feb 2011

I am much the same. Some stocks I can get into the Quote Manager easily and quickly, others hang and I cannot get them to load.
Ideally I plan to use Esignal....as the data feed, and IB as the broker, but still working on that, and the issue will be the same,..... how to easily get a lot of stock/symbol names into the quotemanger.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » 13 Feb 2011

I am having the same problem. Using the procedures specified above, some IB equity symbols can be added automatically (for example, FXI and EWC), but many others cannot be (for example, ILF and EWZ). I can add any symbol I have tried using TS as the data source, so this seems to be a bug in the interface between MultiCharts DT and IB.

As nasdorq noted above, with over 6000 equity symbols, we need to be able to quickly automatically add common tickers such as FXI. Based on my testing, at present more than half of the attempts to automatically add valid equity symbols from IB fail.

ivanf

Postby ivanf » 13 Feb 2011

Same problem for me. I have MCDT installed alongside my normal MC, both are talking to my IB TWS. No problems adding symbols in MC 6.1 but cannot add most symbols to MCDT, just hangs and utimately times out. But as per previous post, I can add those 2 symbols with no problems, very weird. But as it stands MCDT is useless to me

Ivan

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 17 Feb 2011

Dear Sirs,

Please make sure you have installed the following update: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8222&p=38391#p38391

It should solve the issue of adding symbols from IB. If the problem persists, please come to our Live Chat between 6:30AM and 2PM EST so we can connect to your computer remotely and analyze the situation.

Return to “MultiCharts”