autotrading

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
faraz

autotrading

Postby faraz » 25 Feb 2011

Hi,

1. What is the stability level of Mulitcharts for autotrading.
Does multicharts need all the time monitoring for autotrading? I cannot sit all the time but can monitor it 1 or 2 times a day. I think if there is no hardware and internet issues autotrading would keep on trading fine. Any feed back from autotrading experience traders?

2. I have noticed that on 1 minute bar chart when the time comes to display next bar. Next bar pop up or displayed after 3-8 seconds delay. It should come immedialy once the 1 minute is complete. Why there is a delay in next bar popup?

Thanks

TJ

Re: autotrading

Postby TJ » 25 Feb 2011

Hi,

1. What is the stability level of Mulitcharts for autotrading.
Does multicharts need all the time monitoring for autotrading? I cannot sit all the time but can monitor it 1 or 2 times a day. I think if there is no hardware and internet issues autotrading would keep on trading fine. Any feed back from autotrading experience traders?
Thanks
Even the big houses DO NOT leave their autotrades unattended. What makes you think you should do that?

ps. I have been Alpha testing MultiCharts Version 7.0 Pre-Alpha (Build 3943) since mid-December. It has been working solidly without a single blue screen.

faraz

TJ
Even the big houses DO NOT let their autotrades unattended. What makes you think you should do that?

ps. I have been Alpha testing MultiCharts Version 7.0 Pre-Alpha (Build 3943) since mid-December. It has been working solidly without a single blue screen.
Thanks for ur reply TJ.

I am trying to figure out the intensity of system monitoring required.
From ur feed back i feel checking system 2 or 4 times a day would be fine.
Considering there will be no Internet disconnection and hardware failure issues.
And i will be using syncronus mode which will keep trades on track with real market to strategy signals. But I guss will get real experience once do live autotrading. I wish i could do live simulated trading but multicharts does not offer live simulation trading.

Thanks

TJ

Postby TJ » 25 Feb 2011

TJ
Even the big houses DO NOT let their autotrade unattended. What makes you think you should do that?

ps. I am have been Alpha testing MultiCharts Version 7.0 Pre-Alpha (Build 3943) since mid-December. It has been working solidly without a single blue screen.
Thanks for ur reply TJ.

I am trying to figure out the intensity of system monitoring required.
From ur feed back i feel checking system 2 or 4 times a day would be fine.
Considering there will be no Internet disconnection and hardware failure issues.
And i will be using syncronus mode which will keep trades on track with real market to strategy signals. But I guss will get real experience once do live autotrading. I wish i could do live simulated trading but multicharts does not offer live simulation trading.

Thanks
you can test "live" with InteractiveBrokers demo system (no registration required),
or, if you have an account with them, you can test trade on your papertrading account.

janus

Postby janus » 25 Feb 2011

faraz, the stability level is very good in my experience. It's not the stability level of MC that mostly concerns me when trading. It's the stability level of the ISP and the broker connection. These two are more prone to cause grief. In any case, as TJ alluded to, anyone who leaves an ATS unattended for extended periods is living very dangerously IMHO. No amount of safeguards will guarantee you won't lose a fortune if something goes wrong and you were not present in front of the screen to remedy the issue, and if necessary call the broker's trading desk to cancel or close your orders manually. The only exception to this would be if you also carried with you a portable device, such as a phone with a suitable application linked to MC to keep you informed at all times as to the status of the markets and your trades. However, that also introduces more failure points.

As for the delay, it's on purpose. I believe it's about 3 seconds. MC waits a little while to make sure it has captured the very last tick to take care of any latency issues with the data feed. Without the delay ticks may be cut off and excluded form the bar they belong to. I believe when the market is active enough the bar will be closed immediately and the next one pops up once ticks arrive with timestamps for the next bar.

janus

Postby janus » 25 Feb 2011

you can test "live" with InteractiveBrokers demo system (no registration required),
or, if you have an account with them, you can test trade on your papertrading account.
Note the demo system should not be used for extensive paper trading - its' only for getting used to IB's interface and to a limited extent test the connectivity to MC. It's OK for off-line work with MC though. When auto trading is turned on, the orders will not continue to work as expected to and from IB's order processing system. For true paper trading that manages the orders correctly, one must open up an account with IB and use their simulated trading account to test strategies before using real money.

faraz

TJ and Janus, I am clear about my inquiry now. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and your prompt replies.

Thanks.

TJ

Postby TJ » 25 Feb 2011

you are welcome.

Spaceant

Postby Spaceant » 25 Feb 2011

......... such as a phone with a suitable application linked to MC to keep you informed at all times as to the status of the markets and your trades. .........
Is that possible?

Sa

Return to “MultiCharts”