New symbol for QQQQ

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
konstantin

New symbol for QQQQ

Postby konstantin » 23 Mar 2011

Hi,
The new symbol for QQQQ is now QQQ.
When I try to add QQQ in the quotemanager (IQFeed) it shows the exchange NGM which does not exist in quotemanager.
Anyone knows what NGM is?

geizer

Re: New symbol for QQQQ

Postby geizer » 23 Mar 2011

Hi,
The new symbol for QQQQ is now QQQ.
When I try to add QQQ in the quotemanager (IQFeed) it shows the exchange NGM which does not exist in quotemanager.
Did you mean the QQQ is now QQQQ ? :)
DTN symbol look-up returns this:

I think that in your case Listed Market is a Market Category by NASDAQ definition. Hence, NGM should be interpreted as "NASDAQ Global Market" whenever you see a NASDAQ exchange. There is no consistency in the IQfeed's use of exchange and listed market fields. For example, if you were to look up a Canadian stock, DTN IQfeed would return "Canadian" in the exchange field, and the actual exchange abbreviation in the "listed market" field (since Canadian exchanges now actually came under one group, the abbreviations used by formerly separate exchanges now have a different meaning). It all really factually changed, since mergers and acquisitions of exchanges transformed them all into giant separate markets. What used to be separate exchanges in the past, now fall under the "listed market" category. This is the best how I can describe the discrepancies.

googling 'NGM' reveals a Swedish venture exchange with small start-ups listed, which is just by coincidence also abbreviated NGM:
http://www.ngm.se/main.aspx?language=EN
You can add a new exchange manually into QM if you need to.
Attachments
iqfeed search.jpg
(231.26 KiB) Downloaded 988 times
Last edited by geizer on 23 Mar 2011, edited 6 times in total.

geizer

Postby geizer » 23 Mar 2011

just modified my previous post

konstantin

Postby konstantin » 24 Mar 2011

I searched the IQFeed forums:

http://forums.iqfeed.net/index.cfm?page ... picID=3051

They were not prepared for this change.

Xyzzy

Postby Xyzzy » 30 Mar 2011

For what it's worth, I believe that IQFeed is listing all of the NASDAQ symbols now under "NGM," which is odd. However, I worked around this by going into QuoteManager and changing the abbreviation for the NASDAQ exchange from "NASDAQ" to "NGM." All of the symbols them imported correctly, without needing to define a new exchange. (I'm not at my MultiCharts computer now, so I might be slightly off concerning the specifics.)

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 12 Apr 2011

In MultiCharts 7 you can now Clone exchanges. This saves you the time from entering all settings again from scratch. So, if some data feed (let's say IQ) introduces a new exchange (let's say NGM) but you know it actually represents NASDAQ - simply go to QuoteManager > Tools > Exchanges > Highlight NASDAQ > Click the Clone button. Then go to the new cloned exchange, edit it, and enter the new abbreviation (NGM).

Xyzzy

Postby Xyzzy » 12 Apr 2011

That's great news, Stan. Than you. I just reinstalled Windows and Multicharts, and it was a minor annoyance to have to keep re-entering the same information for similar exchanges. This will make things easier.

For what it's worth, here are the official exchange symbols for Nasdaq-related exchanges in IQFeed:

Nasdaq Global Market: NGM
Nasdaq Global Select Market: NGSM
Nasdaq National Capital Market: NCM

Is there any way that these could be added to MultiCharts, so that they're imported automatically, without needing to create custom exchanges? I've attached a complete list of exchanges from IQFeed.
Attachments
IQFeed Exchanges.txt
(3.82 KiB) Downloaded 460 times

geizer

Postby geizer » 13 Apr 2011

Thanks for update Stan.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 14 Apr 2011

That's great news, Stan. Than you. I just reinstalled Windows and Multicharts, and it was a minor annoyance to have to keep re-entering the same information for similar exchanges. This will make things easier.

For what it's worth, here are the official exchange symbols for Nasdaq-related exchanges in IQFeed:

Nasdaq Global Market: NGM
Nasdaq Global Select Market: NGSM
Nasdaq National Capital Market: NCM

Is there any way that these could be added to MultiCharts, so that they're imported automatically, without needing to create custom exchanges? I've attached a complete list of exchanges from IQFeed.
From a software developer point of view, we don't want to inflate the exchange list so that it becomes unmanageable or too large. Further, there is no guarantee that these exchanges will not change again to some other abbreviations. If you want it, please add a feature request to PM. I will suggest to our team that at least these three should be added.

Return to “MultiCharts”